JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're old enough you must still have one of those 70's green leisure suit's don't you?
Dude, did my wife let you into my closet? But hey, have some respect -- my mom bought it for me!
Sad reality is, any man who had the pelotas to dress that way back before cassette tapes has seen more minge than everyone on this thread combined.
Hey, when I popped a Frampton 8-track into the tape deck of my '66 Dodge Coronet 426 Hemi (my dad bought the car used for me in 1973, he had no idea what it was or how many speeding tickets he was gonna have to pay for me) with the handy rear bench seat, it was on, baby...

I purchased my holster (phlster enigma) the day my permit was approved and had been dialing it in while wearing it in the house with an unloaded pistol.

Then I received my permit in the mail and Today was the day when I went grocery shopping, conceal carrying it for the first time. I called it my first dry run where the pistol was unloaded.

I practiced slow and firm draws from the appendix position and feel very comfortable but it has been with an unloaded firearm.

How do you mentally prepare yourself to start carrying with one in the chamber? Is there a slow transition to it?

Thanks in advance from a newbie
Here is an idea you might try. Load the gun first with a loaded mag and empty chamber then carry it while at home. Do this for a few days or maybe a week.

Next, step up to a loaded mag with loaded chamber and carry that around the house for a week.

Obviously this wont work if you have kids at home or a skiddish spouse who don't want to sit next to you on the couch while you have a loaded gun.

So what will this do? In order for you to feel comfortable carrying a loaded gun you have to get your mind used to the idea.

I have been carrying for around 11 yrs. I did at first carry with loaded mag and empty chamber. Then stepped up to a loaded mag and loaded chamber. I quickly got over my phobia and became comfortable with the loaded chamber and been fine with it ever since. Shooting a lot helps as has been wisely stated by others here.

One of my biggest fears was being discovered carrying a gun. I pocket carry, I know some people have a dim view of that but that's what I like & it works for me. Your gun is going to print with pocket carry, people, if they know what to look for can see the outline of the gun in your pocket. I do use a soft padded pocket holster that helps assure there is less "gun" outline.

I never had even one incident where people looked at my pocket as if they noticed what was in it. Not even in places like a gun store where I'd expect people to be more sensitive to all things "gun".

People noticing I was carrying and having a loaded chamber were the things I had to overcome. I had to "just do it" and get used to it.

Bob, Comfortable but not complacent.

~

Here is an idea you might try. Load the gun first with a loaded mag and empty chamber then carry it while at home. Do this for a few days or maybe a week.

Next, step up to a loaded mag with loaded chamber and carry that around the house for a week.

Obviously this wont work if you have kids at home or a skiddish spouse who don't want to sit next to you on the couch while you have a loaded gun.

So what will this do? In order for you to feel comfortable carrying a loaded gun you have to get your mind used to the idea.

I have been carrying for around 11 yrs. I did at first carry with loaded mag and empty chamber. Then stepped up to a loaded mag and loaded chamber. I quickly got over my phobia and became comfortable with the loaded chamber and been fine with it ever since. Shooting a lot helps as has been wisely stated by others here.

One of my biggest fears was being discovered carrying a gun. I pocket carry, I know some people have a dim view of that but that's what I like & it works for me. Your gun is going to print with pocket carry, people, if they know what to look for can see the outline of the gun in your pocket. I do use a soft padded pocket holster that helps assure there is less "gun" outline.

I never had even one incident where people looked at my pocket as if they noticed what was in it. Not even in places like a gun store where I'd expect people to be more sensitive to all things "gun".

People noticing I was carrying and having a loaded chamber were the things I had to overcome. I had to "just do it" and get used to it.

Bob, Comfortable but not complacent.

~

That's a good thing to remember - most people won't notice. Most folks didn't seem to notice back when I open carried a lot. To be fair, I didn't do it in any big cities. I carry concealed about everywhere now and have never seen anyone notice, even when I carry a full sized gun.

Now don't you go climbing in bed with those two malcontents... :s0123:

A SIG is a fine machine. I have three of them, and none of them have ever "...just gone off by itself..." like these rapscallions seem to believe... :rolleyes:
I have at least 9. Never had an issue, though I have heard the sig mosquito sucked.

I just stumbled onto this thread and haven't read anything but the OP. I'll catch up later.
For learning what it feels like to carry, how to dress around it and how it will need to be handled to be safe, doing so around the house with an unloaded firearm is a very good idea.
In my opinion carrying an unloaded gun makes no sense. The option of having a round chambered or not is always there, too, but I carry chambered if carrying a semi auto.

As far as the first day carrying concealed, I'm sure everyone is borderline paranoid that they will expose that gun. It took a while (few weeks?) before I became a little more confident that I had it "covered".

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top