JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you for that!! Oregun used to have a range time requirement for CHL. Really, it was no big deal. Just some target practice. I didn't mind but a lot of people are agin it, and a lot of people think there sure be more required. I don't think we are going to see any change tho. Unless the Bloomfielders make some crazy rule where the required training would be prohibitive.

I'm very concerned about pricing po folks out of the self-defense market. That's my constichency and has been done a lot of damage nationally. They didn't want the shotgun handouts to women, but black women benefitted greatly as being at greater risk. The banning of weapons like Cobra or Hi-point would have the same effect.

I've know some folks can just barely afford a Hi Point and a box or two of ammo. I'm guessing plenty out there are in that position. They should have as much right to self-defense as those that can buy more expensive guns, more ammo and train more often. Putting a mandatory training requirement on people really does infringe on their RKBA, and that's not something I'm willing to do. I only hope our politicians see it the same way, though I fear for Oregon.

Last Edited:
After this event and some great discussion in this thread, I'm definitely reconsidering my daily carry. I've thought for a while I can pull off carrying a full size gun, and I'm thinking now it might be time to consider giving it a go. I'm a 10mm fan, and do have a G20, but not what I want to carry. I'm thinking more 1911, double stack. Getting some quotes on a few models right now.

Of course if I switch carry guns, that means a new carry rig and plenty of practice/training on the new stuff :)

I've read about some folks that can just afford a Hi Point and a box or two of ammo. I'm guessing plenty out there are in that position. They should have as much right to self-defense as those that can buy more expensive guns, more ammo and train more often. Putting a mandatory training requirement on people really does infringe on their RKBA, and that's not something I'm willing to do. I only hope our politicians see it the same way, though I fear for Oregon.

Our politicians do not.

They see it however the ones that are stuffing their pockets tell them to see it.

After this event and some great discussion in this thread, I'm definitely reconsidering my daily carry. I've thought for a while I can pull off carrying a full size gun, and I'm thinking now it might be time to consider giving it a go. I'm a 10mm fan, and do have a G20, but not what I want to carry. I'm thinking more 1911, double stack. Getting some quotes on a few models right now.

Of course if I switch carry guns, that means a new carry rig and plenty of practice/training on the new stuff :)

a bad guy with a rifle will always have the upper hand. There is only so much we can do and carrying a full size hi cap is heavy and impractical for the virtually almost no chance of such a specific encounter. The OP's video is sobering, I watched the vid a couple times and couldnt tell where the shooter was firing from. Even if one had a full size 10mm its not easy hitting out to 100yds with one but if there was one self defense pistol that could do it thats the one.

Even if one had a full size 10mm its not easy hitting out to 100yds with one but if there was one self defense pistol that could do it thats the one.

I practiced hitting a torso sized gonger at 50yds and 75yds... mostly good hits. That was with my .45 P14 2011. Even a shoulder hit would make him say ouch.

Thought it would be incredibly hard to shoot that far, cuz 25yds seems to be a lot of distance when I compete, but it really wasn't. After just a few shots, I got the sighting figured out just fine. I think I could remember, but I gave that Para to my son-in-law and only have 9mm now. Will have to do it all over again. :D

Ive tried a few times with a 10, at 50 and 100yds. Was just "ok"...
I think it could be done with regular practice, and dont see why it would be much different with a 45 or 9mm.
Maybe after the fundamentals are down one can work down to a mid or compact size? The problem is the front post covers the entire target....

I practiced hitting a torso sized gonger at 50yds and 75yds... mostly good hits. That was with my .45 P14 2011. Even a shoulder hit would make him say ouch.

Thought it would be incredibly hard to shoot that far, cuz 25yds seems to be a lot of distance when I compete, but it really wasn't. After just a few shots, I got the sighting figured out just fine. I think I could remember, but I gave that Para to my son-in-law and only have 9mm now. Will have to do it all over again. :D

I think most folks practice pistols for self defense at 25 yards or less. But it probably is a good idea to mix in those longer shots, from time to time. Most folks probably wouldn't find themselves in a position, in a defensive shooting, to shoot at long distance, but as this particular event demonstrated, it is a possibility.

and dont see why it would be much different with a 45 or 9mm.
Maybe after the fundamentals are down one can work down to a mid or compact size?

I presume you are talking about the procedure of learning where to hold not being much different. Cuz .45 is heavier and slower bullet and 9mm is lighter and faster. Check the ballistics. Did I miss something?;)

I think most folks practice pistols for self defense at 25 yards or less. But it probably is a good idea to mix in those longer shots, from time to time. Most folks probably wouldn't find themselves in a position, in a defensive shooting, to shoot at long distance, but as this particular event demonstrated, it is a possibility.

I spend most of my practice drawing and shooting targets from 3-10yds. 3' is a no brainer except for practicing your draw, force yourself to draw and shoot, calmly and smoothly, and I always figured that at 25yds I should be trying to get away or find better cover.

I presume you are talking about the procedure of learning where to hold not being much different.
no. I know the drop is different between calibers. Im talking about once you learn where to hold, whatever your shooting.

At a 100yds the front sight on most self defense pistol sights completely obscures then entire target. Doesn't matter what caliber you have.

I carry because I want to stop a threat to my and my wife's lives. I don't plan on trying to stop a mass shooting or a viewed robbery in progress, rather survive those and be a great witness. The way America is going, I wish firearm training could be taught in school and maybe someday it will be; it is a societal survival skill; an elective for sure.

I carry because you just never know. Bad people have a way of making big surprises.

I do practice longer pistol shots, mostly because I enjoy it. However, in general, rifle > pistol. And obviously some training is better than zero training, but nobody knows for sure how they'll react until the time comes. I used to know a guy, black belt, martial arts expert, etc. who froze with fear when he was mugged by a couple of unarmed teenagers back East, i.e., did nothing. For those of you who've faced real danger and passed the test, you have definitely won my admiration. I hope I'm never in this position.

I carry because you just never know. Bad people have a way of making big surprises.

I do practice longer pistol shots, mostly because I enjoy it. However, in general, rifle > pistol. And obviously some training is better than zero training, but nobody knows for sure how they'll react until the time comes. I used to know a guy, black belt, martial arts expert, etc. who froze with fear when he was mugged by a couple of unarmed teenagers back East, i.e., did nothing. For those of you who've faced real danger and passed the test, you have definitely won my admiration. I hope I'm never in this position.

:s0101: I think if you train for different scenario's then you will react to your training. But with that said sometimes you just freeze. I also know a guy that trained and trained but when it actually happened to him he froze. You just never know. As you we all hope that we are never in that situation but train so we can go home to our loved ones.

It was probably this, that convinced me to carry a gun:

Of course, nowadays life in Western nations has become a weird version of whack-a-mole, but the things that pop up are a parade of lone-wolf johnny-jihadis. Who knows where the next one will show up.

I've know some folks can just barely afford a Hi Point and a box or two of ammo. I'm guessing plenty out there are in that position. They should have as much right to self-defense as those that can buy more expensive guns, more ammo and train more often. Putting a mandatory training requirement on people really does infringe on their RKBA, and that's not something I'm willing to do. I only hope our politicians see it the same way, though I fear for Oregon.

I feel the same way. That is why I believe if training is mandatory it should be free and provided by the government. If we, the people, truly believed "regulated militia" then we should almost all be like an inactivate reserve, waiting to be called to arms by our state to defend our territory. Nevertheless, we've grown fat, lazy and overly dependent upon the government to provide everything for us...then wonder why we need government permission to do anything.

Imagine every state opening up their National Guard training centers to the public to be able to shoot any conventional firearm (pistol, rifle, etc.) and get free training on it's use. That way any Joe-blow can be truly conscripted or called to arms at the event of an actual draft of the public...

But I digress, I have very radical views as to how to make this country better and more control in the hands of the public.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top