JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The events today in Virginia have already brought out the gun control advocates arguing for diminished access to firearms.

There is obviously another side to the coin.

On my blog, I've embedded the 5 minute eyewitness video of today's attack. It shows very little, but sit with it throughout and you'll see how long an attack like this can take, and ask yourself "Do I want to potentially spend the last few minutes of my life hiding like a scared rabbit?"

Why I carry.

My thoughts on Why I carry or own a gun?...
Because I can.
If someone has chosen otherwise that is fine ... Just do not limit my choice , make my choice or take my choice away from me.
As I will not do that to you.
Seems simple to me ... Too bad it isn't so simple in real life.
Andy

Hope to God myself or none of you guys on this website ever be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I carry because the world is a mad house.

I carry because I believe the government can't and won't keep me safe. I carry because it's impossible to know when or where and attack might take place. I carry because I care about my life and the life of my family.

The video from today makes it clear - when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. This should wake a lot of people up. YOU and only YOU are responsible for your own safety/protection. Take it seriously and start carrying, and, if possible, get some training too.

Wow and thank you Sigmadog. Down here in SW OR in South Josephine County we still have practically ZERO law enforcement. Slowly changing for the better. At our local high school athletic events like baseball about one half or fifty percent of the adults in the stands watching and cheering on are legally carrying concealed handguns.

Small town. We all know each other. Some of us firearm train together. Lots of retired military and civil service law enforcement and firefighting. There seems to be a level of citizenship down here that the low life does not bother. I am not quite sure why. I do kinda think that if what happened in Washington DC happened here, it would never start. I hope not. Just me.

Respectfully.

Does make us think, huh? I understand the concern for more capacity but for me I kind of suck honestly behind my single stacks like my xds. They have there place for hiding well. I just need to shoot them more.

On the flip side, I have a few 357 mags and one 44 mag no mass shooters want to tango with me while having those. Guess I'm a revolver guy.

I was thinking the same thing. In a circumstance such as this one, I realized I don't have enough ammo on hand in my daily carry. Time to reconsider my load out.
I started having those same thoughts right after I became a civilian and realized the America I had left had changed in a major way through the years I was over seas. We even had a pretty extensive discussion on this subject here on NWFA about a year ago! In short, I started carrying a Full Size High Cap 1911 in 10 mm, because I realized that my chances of getting to a rifle were not that great, and if I could get to my rifle, I could also likely break off and get away from the threat! I am very seldom more then 100 yards away from a high Power rifle or carbine, but I think it more wise to separate my self from a fight IF I am able, but having that high cap pistol gives me a better chance, and having a rifle close by can give me the ability to save others and/or take down a shooter, as long as I do not place my self or loved ones at additional risk by my actions. Then there is the whole argument of WHY did you return to a fight with a rifle instead of fleeing and calling 911! :mad::mad::mad:

Officer---sir, do you mind if I ask why you carry a loaded gun in your car?
Me---same reason you do officer.

An AR pistol would came in handy today. 20151004_105919.jpg 20161217_173928.jpg

The gun control groups are already out there screaming their fool heads off. I am getting so tired of hearing "The gunman was stopped by highly trained law enforcement officers" Ok I dont know if these officers were highly trained or not but I know a LOT of LEOs and have them in the family and they dont train worth a darn!

I would wager that most people on here are more trained then most LEO's
Im not bashing LEO's by any means but the ones I know only go shooting to qualify and thats it...

The gun control groups are already out there screaming their fool heads off. I am getting so tired of hearing "The gunman was stopped by highly trained law enforcement officers" Ok I dont know if these officers were highly trained or not but I know a LOT of LEOs and have them in the family and they dont train worth a darn!

I would wager that most people on here are more trained then most LEO's
Im not bashing LEO's by any means but the ones I know only go shooting to qualify and thats it...
And they need to be reminded he's one of them!

I started having those same thoughts right after I became a civilian and realized the America I had left had changed in a major way through the years I was over seas. We even had a pretty extensive discussion on this subject here on NWFA about a year ago! In short, I started carrying a Full Size High Cap 1911 in 10 mm, because I realized that my chances of getting to a rifle were not that great, and if I could get to my rifle, I could also likely break off and get away from the threat! I am very seldom more then 100 yards away from a high Power rifle or carbine, but I think it more wise to separate my self from a fight IF I am able, but having that high cap pistol gives me a better chance, and having a rifle close by can give me the ability to save others and/or take down a shooter, as long as I do not place my self or loved ones at additional risk by my actions. Then there is the whole argument of WHY did you return to a fight with a rifle instead of fleeing and calling 911! :mad::mad::mad:

You know, that double stack 10mm may just be the thing to consider if I decide to go to a full sized model. I do like the 10mm, and having it in a double stack sure would be a nice option to have available.

You know, that double stack 10mm may just be the thing to consider if I decide to go to a full sized model. I do like the 10mm, and having it in a double stack sure would be a nice option to have available.
I did a lot of "sole searching" before I decided on this route. What finally did it for me was the gun manufactures making Double Stack 1911's that could take the full power 10 mm auto! I prefer the 2011 series of modular frame 1911's but any of the other good double stacks would work, I would have gone with a Para or a Rock Island had they offered a double stack in 10 mm, but they didn't at the time!:( And now that I have learned to build 1911's, This is the platform I am most happy with! As long as you don't mind a very heavy fighting pistol, these are unbeatable, and they carry the exact same as a standard 1911, just need to make sure you have a very sturdy carry set up!

I did a lot of "sole searching" before I decided on this route. What finally did it for me was the gun manufactures making Double Stack 1911's that could take the full power 10 mm auto! I prefer the 2011 series of modular frame 1911's but any of the other good double stacks would work, I would have gone with a Para or a Rock Island had they offered a double stack in 10 mm, but they didn't at the time!:( And now that I have learned to build 1911's, This is the platform I am most happy with! As long as you don't mind a very heavy fighting pistol, these are unbeatable, and they carry the exact same as a standard 1911, just need to make sure you have a very sturdy carry set up!

I've never carried a full size, but watching what happened today, I'm starting to think a compact may just be a bit inadequate in some circumstances. I think with the right belt and carry rig I could pull it off.

You're running an STI aren't you?

I've never carried a full size, but watching what happened today, I'm starting to think a compact may just be a bit inadequate in some circumstances. I think with the right belt and carry rig I could pull it off.

You're running an STI aren't you?[/QUOTE
Yes, It's a STI "Kit" 80% that I built! There are other options I have found that are every bit as good as the STI, but almost half the cost, so all of my builds use those frame kits. the top ends are what ever you wish, I like both Caspian Slides and Fusion, depending on my mood and the style of pistol I am wanting to build, price is about the same. FYI, if you build one your self, you can do a good 2011 series 1911 for about a grand depending on the features you want. Sure makes these a very attractive option, being able to trick one out any way you like, from the slide serrations, the sights, the color and finish, and any other treatments you prefer. sti2011c.jpg
blairedge1 (1).jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR