JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ahhh! BK STOP! If you can hold off going to the store for more ammo, Palmetto State Armory has Wolf 123gr, FMJ, NON-CORROSIVE, 7.62 x 39 ammo for $4.49 for a box of 20, AND there's FREE SHIPPING GOING ON RIGHT NOW! That breaks down to $0.22 per round. You don't find even surplus much cheaper than that bud. I just received 500 rounds from them last week. Great deal.

<broken link removed>

Now you know why I thought you made a great choice :)

I saved the big "hurt to shoot" large bore rifle for the last in my collection. Sure it will be the one I need the least, but is really is nice to have. Clearing a dozen water filled jugs and punching a hole your finger fits through at 100 yards is fun. I waited many years to add that big elk or bear rifle to my cabinet.

Right now you need to stockpile ammo. That SKS will eat it up fast. I found 100 rounds is not nearly enough for one outing :)

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Almost all my guns hurt to shoot, when I buy a bolt gun now I ask myself "how many rounds will it take to stop a '67 Caddy? 2 or 3?"

Looking for a 300 weatherby at the moment.

Bad guys will think that the shtf, until they cross a large caliber high powered turd slinger.

I bought mine at the local Sporting goods store, The Outdoorsman. They had three on the rack last time I was there. Priced just over $300 each. One older used for $275.
Cabelas has them from time to time too. Boise had them last time I was there. Pricing was about the same.

A few words of wisdom about the Yugo SKS from a guy who used to own one;

If you buy an "unissued" version that is still packed in Cosmoline, be aware that you have a couple of hours of messy, smelly work ahead of you (disassembly, cleaning, reassembly) before the weapon is shootable. And if you fail to get every last bit of cosmoline out of the firing pin assembly, the pin can stick and cause slam-fires.

The combination of a grenade-launcher, grenade sight and bayonet makes for a weapon that is extremely long and nose-heavy. I made the mistake of wasting money on a folding stock with a pistol grip for mine, not only was it an illegal 922r violation, but it made an already nose-heavy weapon even more unbalanced. A Yugo SKS is pretty much the same size and weight as an M1 Garand, only firing a cartridge with far less range and power.

The selector switch (shuts off the gas valve, allowing the use of blanks to launch grenades with) can develop corrosion, which turns the gun into a signle shot. There are stainless steel gas valves available to fix this, but it is an issue to be aware of.

Im not bashing the Yugos, a lot of people love taking them apart and messing around with them and they are quite affordable. But as a SHTF gun, they are not an optimum choice IMHO. I eventually sold mine and used the funds to upgrade to a Norinco "Paratrooper" carbine version with the 16" barrel. It is a much lighter and handier weapon, and an excellent complimentery/backup gun to my AK. These cost more upfront than a Yugo, but the aditional money is well worth it.

So now you guys got me interested in a sks rifle. does anyone in Oregon sell them? Or would I have to go to places like gun broker and others to find one?

There will usually be several for sale at any gun show. If possible, get one that is in original condition with an intact 10-rd internal magazine. Avoid like the plague the ones with metal "duckbill" 30 rd detachable mags, these are a jam-prone aftermarket modification.

Ahhh! BK STOP! If you can hold off going to the store for more ammo, Palmetto State Armory has Wolf 123gr, FMJ, NON-CORROSIVE, 7.62 x 39 ammo for $4.49 for a box of 20, AND there's FREE SHIPPING GOING ON RIGHT NOW! That breaks down to $0.22 per round. You don't find even surplus much cheaper than that bud. I just received 500 rounds from them last week. Great deal.

<broken link removed>

Awesome, thanks man!

I would Just go with a Mosin, then an AK... But really.. just an AK.
SKS's are a thing of the past.. as are mosins. But the price point and powerful cartridge of the Mosin (7.62x54r) brings the mosins SHTF value up more-so than that of some other firearms (The SKS)
The Mosin hits some very critical SHTF points.. I.e. - inexpensive, powerful, accurate, easy to operate and clean.
Now the real down fall is ammo for the Mosin.. in SHTF once you're out, you're out when it comes to 7.62x54r unless you come upon a trade or cache. However the 7.62x39 is nearly as common as the .223-5.56. Thus the 7.62x39 now has more lasting power than it did about 4-6 years ago.
I would say an SKS.. BUT.. how many would you REALLY run into out there versus the AK in terms of spare parts?..

Another suggestion would be a Kel-Tec SU-16ca.. common caliber (5.56), Common mags, inexpensive, light, portable.. again, that is just a thought for a SHTF rifle. I would put the keltec SU-16ca more in the category of a "Scout/expidition" rifle rather than a "Battle Rifle" much like I would with the SKS as well.

There will usually be several for sale at any gun show. If possible, get one that is in original condition with an intact 10-rd internal magazine. Avoid like the plague the ones with metal "duckbill" 30 rd detachable mags, these are a jam-prone aftermarket modification.

HOWEVER there is a 20 rd fixed Chinese mag that was imported. I'm not a huge SKS fan but I hung onto mine just in case a nice SKS drops into my lap

I would Just go with a Mosin, then an AK... But really.. just an AK.
SKS's are a thing of the past.. as are mosins. But the price point and powerful cartridge of the Mosin (7.62x54r) brings the mosins SHTF value up more-so than that of some other firearms (The SKS)
The Mosin hits some very critical SHTF points.. I.e. - inexpensive, powerful, accurate, easy to operate and clean.
Now the real down fall is ammo for the Mosin.. in SHTF once you're out, you're out when it comes to 7.62x54r unless you come upon a trade or cache. However the 7.62x39 is nearly as common as the .223-5.56. Thus the 7.62x39 now has more lasting power than it did about 4-6 years ago.
I would say an SKS.. BUT.. how many would you REALLY run into out there versus the AK in terms of spare parts?..

Another suggestion would be a Kel-Tec SU-16ca.. common caliber (5.56), Common mags, inexpensive, light, portable.. again, that is just a thought for a SHTF rifle. I would put the keltec SU-16ca more in the category of a "Scout/expidition" rifle rather than a "Battle Rifle" much like I would with the SKS as well.

Bullet casters can keep a Mosin operating a looong time.. it's the same basic bullet as the .303 Enfield, BTW

Jmho-

A Chinese SKS for $250 and a 1000 round case of ammo for $229 deliverd is a great option. Just leave the SKS in it's original state and your good to go.
An SKS will shoot very accurately to 200+ yards and beyond with no problem, if you do your part.

M67

Buy an enfield or an Ishy and practice. During the Sino-Indian war Indian troops were able to fire off all ten rounds re-aquire their targets as far away as 2000yds and keep them pinned down. Just be wise when you choose your battlefield

Wow, quite a conversation about SKS and AKs. Not a lot of proven facts though. I am not an expert, but own a Norinco MAC90 (thumbhole stock) and a type M SKS (takes AK magazines). I actually like the SKS more. The MAC90 will not take my 75 round mags, but the SKS will with no problems noted. Although I wouldn't rapid fire all 75 rounds in either, I think that they would both stand up just fine. I also have some 5 round magazines that my Dad converted to 10 rounders for those that shoot off of a sandbag or prone.
Given the OPs needs, I would suggest the SKS, fixed mag or type M. Norincos are good, or Russian made if you can find one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top