JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Jmho-

A Chinese SKS for $250 and a 1000 round case of ammo for $229 deliverd is a great option. Just leave the SKS in it's original state and your good to go.
An SKS will shoot very accurately to 200+ yards and beyond with no problem, if you do your part.

M67

Jmho-

A Chinese SKS for $250 and a 1000 round case of ammo for $229 deliverd is a great option. Just leave the SKS in it's original state and your good to go.
An SKS will shoot very accurately to 200+ yards and beyond with no problem, if you do your part.

M67

Thats the ticket right there. In most any realistic scenario an SKS will do the job well, and now with Hornady offering affordable ammo loaded with a modern bullet you can't go wrong.

How do I tell whether or not an SKS is a good one or not prior to purchasing one? Are the Chinese ones considered better than Yugo manufactured ones?

Yugos do not have chrome lined barrels....I'd opt for a Chinese. In my opinion, just check for proper function of the rifle. Take it home tear it apart and clean thoroughly. And if it were me, which it was once, I'd send the trigger group off to Tom Prince(SKS triggers, improve the safety of the SKS carbines) and get a trigger job done, it will really improve the feel of the trigger and in my case the accuracy(my trigger was bubblegum).

The SKS is at least a 400 yard weapon if we're talking fighting.. I would not use it over 200 yards for deer in a conventional situation, being humane. I mentioned the Chinese SKS version precisely because they do have chrime lined barrels, a very nice perk

If you plan to stand and fight (and die), a WASR AK or an SKS. I agree that the smart choice would be a decent Chinese or Russian gun. The Chinese rifles are cheaper, and although the US retail market is flooded with cheap Chinese crap, their rifles are very, very good. The more common M59/66 Yugo with its gas valve can be problematic; although mine has been 100% reliable to date, I would not choose it over any of the other two if I had to.

If you plan to run and hide (and live), a good .22, either semi auto or bolt...both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I have an unconverted x39 Saiga rifle with the factory Dragunov stock. Its a super great rifle, very accurate and well made. If you convert it to accept standard AK mags (not difficult to do), you would most likely be over your budget.

Keith

If you plan to stand and fight (and die), a WASR AK or an SKS. I agree that the choice should be a decent Chinese or Russian gun. The Chinese rifles are cheaper, and although the US retail market if flooded with cheap Chinese crap, their rifles are very, very good. The more common M59/66 Yugo with its gas valve can be problematic...although mine has been 100% reliable to date, I would not choose mine over any of the other two if I had to.

If you plan to run and hide (and live), a good .22, either semi auto or bolt...both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Keith

If history has a lesson to teach...
The NVA and VC did quite well, with the SHOOT and SCOOT, and they were not using a 22lr.

If history has a lesson to teach...
The NVA and VC did quite well, with the SHOOT and SCOOT, and they were not using a 22lr.

Quite true, but over 1,000,000 of the enemy died during that war and they were part of a military force that also received outside support. If you are by yourself and have a family or loved ones you are trying to protect, as most of us probably do, shoot and scoot is probably going to get you killed sooner rather than later.

Keith

Quite true, but over 1,000,000 of the enemy died during that war and they were part of a military force that also received outside support. If you are by yourself and have a family or loved ones you are trying to protect, as most of us probably do, shoot and scoot is probably going to get you killed sooner rather than later.

Keith

I am not suggesting any form of military strategy to the OP, his plan is up to him and his family/group.
And the OP was just asking about an affordable rifle in the $400.00 range. The SKS fits within that price range with enough left over for a bunch of ammo.

I was only pointing out what i thought was wrong with your statement.

1,100,000( is the official NVA/VC count with 2,000,000 total including civilians) enemy/civilian dead was mostly due to field artillery and air power, not the direct action of US infantry forces.

For example- Carlos Hathcock and his spotter trapped a NVA company in a large open area. Carlos and his spotter killed a few enemy, but they called in artillery to decimate the rest of the NVA troops trapped on open ground.

I have both a Yugo SKS and a converted Saiga AK. For pure SHTF, I'd choose either, but I think I'd lean toward the SKS. I can carry more ammo on strippers with the SKS, the SKS is a better hunting rifle, and it's a bit more solid than the AK.

As for the corrosion issue with the Yugo SKS gas pin selector, just swap out the original for an aftermarket stainless steel one. Cheap fix, and totally worth it. I'd also swap out the original firing pin for a Murray's SKS firing pin. Also cheap, also very easy to install.

The main issue with an unconverted Saiga had been addressed- the mags. They cannot accept standard AK mags.

I am not suggesting any form of military strategy to the OP, his plan is up to him and his family/group.
And the OP was just asking about an affordable rifle in the $400.00 range. The SKS fits within that price range with enough left over for a bunch of ammo.

I was only pointing out what i thought was wrong with your statement.

1,100,000( is the official NVA/VC count with 2,000,000 total including civilians) enemy/civilian dead was mostly due to field artillery and air power, not the direct action of US infantry forces.

For example- Carlos Hathcock and his spotter trapped a NVA company in a large open area. Carlos and his spotter killed a few enemy, but they called in artillery to decimate the rest of the NVA troops trapped on open ground.

To be fair tho Carlos, usually with only one assistant, and sometimes solo, got 93 confirmed kills and never was shot, in what they called injun territory

I do not agree that the SKS is more solid than a good AK, but for the money they are a great deal. I've owned 3 of each (Norinco make) and I sold off the SKS rifles and still retain 2 of the AKs. The AKs can take a lot more sustained fire and they can take 75 and 100 rd drums if it comes to a CQC fight where you have no other options

Interesting observation there Blitz, but seriously, what are the real chances of America descending into complete and total social chaos? The answer is, very, very low.

If you like, we can take that conversation to the tin foil hat forum.

No saiga .223.
I went that route and even if you modified it to accept Circle 10 mags.. that'll cost your and they aren't all that common for SHTF.
I'd say ANYTHING AK wise chambered for 7.62x39.
Saiga 7.62x39 for $300something with a bullet guide you can install yourself ($15-20) now it wouldn't be 922r compliant but it'll be SHTF so that really won't matter. You dont NEED a muzzlebrake or flash hider for SHTF but you can easily install one ($70-$90) I've done it.

But a Mosin will be your best option, then would be the SKS and lastly.. an AK. In terms of money versus saved money for ammo.

Interesting observation there Blitz, but seriously, what are the real chances of America descending into complete and total social chaos? The answer is, very, very low.

Instead of bashing Blitz for posting his opinion, why not try to come up with a counter observation relating to the discussion of an SKS vs AK platform?

It always erks me when people come to troll. If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, why even post anything? This thread was designed for SHTF suggestions- or as you put "tin foil hat" suggestions. If you don't like the suggestions or the topic then you can click the "unsubscribe" button and move on.

As for the topic at hand, Studio BK. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the suggested rifles. SKS, AK, Mosin, ect. Just realize that each rifle has it's own limitations, weaknesses and benefits. What you have to do is weigh your situation and decide from there. All of us can make suggestion after suggestion, but the truth of the mater is is that only you can ultimately decide which rifle to get or what you will be using it for. I wish you the best of luck and remember, owning guns is addictive! You'll probably be owning all three before year's end!

Just making a simple tactical observation

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top