JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not really trying to argue , but ..
At a local gun show last month I saw several* JM marked 336's around $400.
I think it all depends on where you live and when you are shopping.
But I do agree as a rule the JM 336's are going up in value and price...
Andy
*4-6 of them.
A non-collectable Winchester 94 can be had for $400, but a Marlin 336 cannot.

The MAK-90 I had took 75rd drums just fine with no problems. Never heard of a Norinco AK not being able to take drums. Usually it's the other way around, SKS rifles need wood removed to use drums.
The thumbhole stock on the MAK90 is too big around the mag well. A little woodworking would fix it, but I don't want to change anything. I have thought about getting a standard AKM butt stock and pistol grip for it (non-USA of course) and keep the thumbhole stock for authenticity. Who would have ever thought that a mass produced Chinese made firearm may have collector value?

Nothing at all wrong with the original AKM stock although it is a bit short due to it being designed to accommodate the great winter coat that Soviet forces wore.

.Something true RIGHT NOW is that one can actually find $400-500 AR-15's on the shelves. The $400 ones don't usually have iron sights, but you can find an M&P Sport for $500 right now, and they have Magpul BUISs.
Exactly. And if one were to consider real dollars as compared to nominal dollars that'd be like buying an AR for a pack a gum back in the 80's.. probably.

Who would have ever thought that a mass produced Chinese made firearm may have collector value?

The Russians helped the Chinese in making their AK's (both being commie countries n' neighbors). The Chinese made some modifications to the Russian design; drilling multiple ports in the gas tube, lightening the recoil spring, making the barrels and receivers thicker. But that was done mostly due to their limited metallurgy resources. Norinco AK's are H-E-A-V-Y. Arguably too heavy for what they are.

As far as a SHTF rifle goes I think it depends on that person's AO, their shooting experience and their build.
Out west I could shoot pretty much as far as I was able, and I've always had a thing for the big boomers, and couldn't understand why a lot of my friends down south loved the AKs. Now that I'M living down here I have more understanding. You can't see far enough to really give a .308 a good workout, let alone my .300 Winny or Barrett. I understand why smaller calibres are popular here-no need for a big boomer if you're lucky to get a 250 yrd shot.
A person of smaller build will often times have a harder time with larger calibre rifles as a rule. My wife can shoot anything I own, but doesn't care to. Why beat her up with a HK91 or a 12 ga when she can get the job done with a M4 or AK and a 870 20ga? Slow is smooth and smooth is fast and often times a big part of that is matching the weapon to the shooter.
Just my:s0159:

FWIW, I would get a solid low end bolt action 308 or 30/06. Easy to get ammo even in the boonies. Strong enough to take whatever you are going to run into. Slow fire so you don't waste ammo. (BIG POINT! TOO EASY TO SPRAY WHEN YOU SHOULD BE AIMING!)

Savage 11 hunter packages go on sale for around $435 or so a couple times a year. That would be my choice.

For me I like Andy's list but I'd add,

Known to survive long term storage.
- You would hide (bury) these guns.

Common ammo to me means, when you kick in the neighbors door to loot, what are you likely to find
- 223/5.56 ( now) , 30 06 before, 30 30, 308? 7.62 x 39 (now). 12ga
Not so likely, 6.5 Creedmoore, 300 AAC 300 Black out
(( maybe in your area 270 is common, or 264 or 45-70 or 45-110 .... 375 H&H ))

Easy to use - manual of arms / operating system.
- something you might hand off to a neighbor, or someone in your "clan"

Inexpensive
- use any extra $$ to bury ammo with the FA

Though if the round doesn't matter and you can stack deep....

A Yugo mauser or any SKS will do nicely. ;)

If you can bring yourself to modify older rifles, you could probably convert a Yugo mauser to .308 (not as easily as the K98 though).

IMG_2175.JPG

I already have a 10/22, Glock 19, Mossberg 590, I need a centerfire rifle to round out my shtf weaponry. I have a $400 budget. What is the best (I'm sorry) bang for the buck lol? SKS? AK? Bolt action hunting rifle? Thanks for any ideas!!!

I would say save up longer and spend more money. IMO $400 is not the budget for a quality center fire semi auto rifle. You can get quality AR's for the $500 range. Then you have to figure in ammo, sights, sling, etc.

It's really not about Who, but what, albeit things have changed since say 1776, the question is ageless, subjective, (though the passion of some would have you believe it is objective) definitely compelling for many.
My opine varies as to whose Sh17 and what Fan you are referring to.
Narrowing it down, I am more concerned with survival on an apocalyptic or primitive basis as to survival during warring times.
So subjectively speaking, I vote for the 45-70 leaver carbine. sturdy, substantial. repairable. easily reloaded with basic hand tools and the straight walled brass can be reloaded for the same gun more times than bottlenecks due to the almost no reforming needed and the marginal stress applied to it.. it safe and will will function very well black powder as well with smokless powder and possibly a variety of homemade creations. likes non jacketed lead. (a gas check is prudent for hotter loads) It could even double as a shotgun(admittedly with a poor spread) A giant leg up over black powder rifles (sorry Andy just my opine) I venture to say, in a pinch, you could even insert a shell filled with BP and waded closed, then shove the right sized patched fishing weight down the barrel muzzle loading style and bring home the bacon if you ran out of bullets.
Try that with an AR!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top