JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, quite a conversation about SKS and AKs. Not a lot of proven facts though. I am not an expert, but own a Norinco MAC90 (thumbhole stock) and a type M SKS (takes AK magazines). I actually like the SKS more. The MAC90 will not take my 75 round mags, but the SKS will with no problems noted. Although I wouldn't rapid fire all 75 rounds in either, I think that they would both stand up just fine. I also have some 5 round magazines that my Dad converted to 10 rounders for those that shoot off of a sandbag or prone.
Given the OPs needs, I would suggest the SKS, fixed mag or type M. Norincos are good, or Russian made if you can find one.

Ooh, care to sell the type M SKS?

A good used bolt action with a 3-9X scope and a 22" barrel. in one of the more popular hunting calibers .270 .308 or my choice 30-06 You can kill at 400+ yards if your a decent shot and if you practice 600+ It will also bag game for you.

Indeed. I didn't even know you could still get an SKS for under $400
After the shooting at the baseball practice a few weeks ago you will be lucky to find one for under $2000 or you could look at it this way that guy couldn't hit sitting ducks on a baseball field so everyone selling there sks to buy ARs lol so probably find them for $150 bucks LOL

I still haven't saw a picture of the gun but I heard it had a scope on it probably explains alot but like you said untrained or at least no knowledge of guns GOOD LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY the less the left knows the easier it will be when the time comes HEHEH

As for a SHTF gun you might want to stick to the basics a good 12GA there is all different ammo for it and reloading shell's is simple if you got primers and powder you could reload the shell's with rocks or nuts and bolts if you had to LOL

I like my SHTF rifle ... a as issued Remington 03A3 rifle.
Easy to shoot , accurate , ammo is very common and it is fairly easy to handle after a day hiking around with it.
Granted they are no longer in the $400 range....
But just used as an example of a what you can find in a .30-06 rifle.
A used 336 or model 94 carbine in .30-30 would be a nice rifle as well , in a SHTF situation.

In the end a rifle that is:
Fairly light in weight
Commonly found caliber
A caliber the works well on deer or bigger game
A rifle that has few working parts or one that is easy to repair or find parts for
Will do excellent service as a SHTF rifle.
Of course everyone will have a different idea of what all of the above will be, but that is the fun part of reading these types of threads.... :D
Andy

A used 336 or model 94 carbine in .30-30 would be a nice rifle as well , in a SHTF situation.
A non-collectable Winchester 94 can be had for $400, but a Marlin 336 cannot. I agree that a 30-30 lever action would be okay, but it still seems to me that if someone had not a single center-fire rifle, then an AR-15 is the best option.

Something true RIGHT NOW is that one can actually find $400-500 AR-15's on the shelves. The $400 ones don't usually have iron sights, but you can find an M&P Sport for $500 right now, and they have Magpul BUISs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top