JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok for all of you .40cal folks. Of these two M&P .40 platforms which do y'all like better. The original full sized .40 or the M&P .40 2.0 compact. I'm asking due to the fact that I'm wanting to get a .40 again. I can say I've had a Glock 22 .40 and didn't not care for it at all. But love the .40cal. I'm sure there are other outstanding.40's I just really love the ergonomics of the M&P's. Thank you all for your replies.

You don't say what your intended uses are. But are you aware that the "Full Size" actually comes in two different sizes? There is a 5 inch and a 4.25 inch model. And the "Compact" comes in a 4" and a 3.6" if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the 4.25 inch size. It's fairly close to a Glock 19 size...I think. But I carry a 4.25" 9mm CORE on the reg, and I don't have any problems concealing it...other than a sticking cotton shirt issue I'm trying to solve (from another thread).

Most people don't have a problem concealing the barrel/slide. It's the grip most people have trouble with. But even with that, a 5 inch gun is a little much. 4" and 4.25" is the sweet spot in my opinion for a carry gun. So for me personally, there's no reason to go to the 3.6" gun.

So after that you're looking at a 2 round capacity different between the full size grip and the compact grip...15 rounds for the full size vs., 13 rounds for the compact. Does that matter to you at all?

As I said, I personally would go with the 4.25 "Full Size" gun without question. But if I were thinking about the compact, I would absolutely want to rent it and shoot it first...and especially in a .40 cal which tends to be snappier than 9mm. And making sure I can get my full hand on the grip is absolutely mandatory. I can't stand pinkies dangling off the bottom. YMMV.

Now if this were going to be just a range gun or a nightstand gun, I would go with one of the full size guns for sure...still the 4.25" model for me because I just really like that size.

I'm not sure I've helped you.

So let me ask you this, why are you wanting to buy a gun based on what I or others like? You've got a couple models you are attracted to so go to your local big box gun store and fondle them side by side and pick the one you like. Ideally you could go to a range that rents guns and shoot them both side by side. I'm no help on the bigger M&P's as mine is a 40 Shield but can say in that platform the 2.0 trigger is much better.

You don't say what your intended uses are. But are you aware that the "Full Size" actually comes in two different sizes? There is a 5 inch and a 4.25 inch model. And the "Compact" comes in a 4" and a 3.6" if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the 4.25 inch size. It's fairly close to a Glock 19 size...I think. But I carry a 4.25" 9mm CORE on the reg, and I don't have any problems concealing it...other than a sticking cotton shirt issue I'm trying to solve (from another thread).

Most people don't have a problem concealing the barrel/slide. It's the grip most people have trouble with. But even with that, a 5 inch gun is a little much. 4" and 4.25" is the sweet spot in my opinion for a carry gun. So for me personally, there's no reason to go to the 3.6" gun.

So after that you're looking at a 2 round capacity different between the full size grip and the compact grip...15 rounds for the full size vs., 13 rounds for the compact. Does that matter to you at all?

As I said, I personally would go with the 4.25 "Full Size" gun without question. But if I were thinking about the compact, I would absolutely want to rent it and shoot it first...and especially in a .40 cal which tends to be snappier than 9mm. And making sure I can get my full hand on the grip is absolutely mandatory. I can't stand pinkies dangling off the bottom. YMMV.

Now if this were going to be just a range gun or a nightstand gun, I would go with one of the full size guns for sure...still the 4.25" model for me because I just really like that size.

I'm not sure I've helped you.
It would be another EDC choice. Just looking to add an extra caliber to the mix.

Last Edited:
So let me ask you this, why are you wanting to buy a gun based on what I or others like? You've got a couple models you are attracted to so go to your local big box gun store and fondle them side by side and pick the one you like. Ideally you could go to a range that rents guns and shoot them both side by side. I'm no help on the bigger M&P's as mine is a 40 Shield but can say in that platform the 2.0 trigger is much better.
I've had a couple .40's in the past. Not looking to buy anything based on what you or anyone else likes. Just trying to garner some information from folks who have either version. But I get what you're saying. Your cup of tea may not be mine. Or vise versa.

I've had a couple .40's in the past. Not looking to buy anything based on what you or anyone else likes. Just trying to garner some information from folks who have either version. But I get what you're saying. Your cup of tea may not be mine. Or vise versa.
Exactly, I like 40 as well, I have 3 of them. My personal choice of a EDC/ urban defensive caliber. One new to me I haven't shot yet and I think I'll go shoot today is a Sig 229.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews