JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Instead of bashing Blitz for posting his opinion, why not try to come up with a counter observation relating to the discussion of an SKS vs AK platform?

It always erks me when people come to troll. If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, why even post anything? This thread was designed for SHTF suggestions- or as you put "tin foil hat" suggestions. If you don't like the suggestions or the topic then you can click the "unsubscribe" button and move on.

As for the topic at hand, Studio BK. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the suggested rifles. SKS, AK, Mosin, ect. Just realize that each rifle has it's own limitations, weaknesses and benefits. What you have to do is weigh your situation and decide from there. All of us can make suggestion after suggestion, but the truth of the mater is is that only you can ultimately decide which rifle to get or what you will be using it for. I wish you the best of luck and remember, owning guns is addictive! You'll probably be owning all three before year's end!

Some people hold a long grudge

You and I don't see eye-to-eye very often...but simply arguing with you about inane crap just takes away from the overall integrity of this forum. There's just no need for it.

I agree. Was actually trying to help the OP by extrapolating on what I know about the topic at hand. Everyone has an opinion

I don't know much about SKS's in general, but my chinese norinco with the tapco stock/clips has worked flawlessly for me through 500+ rounds, and the friend who i bought it from had to have shot 1000's of rounds through it as well with no issues. It was 1 of 2 his dad had bought ~15 years ago at the BZ Corner Grocery ;) for something like $90 a piece, and from what i know, both of them were chinese and the other still shoots without any problems as well.

Instead of bashing Blitz for posting his opinion, why not try to come up with a counter observation relating to the discussion of an SKS vs AK platform?

It always erks me when people come to troll. If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, why even post anything? This thread was designed for SHTF suggestions- or as you put "tin foil hat" suggestions. If you don't like the suggestions or the topic then you can click the "unsubscribe" button and move on.

Dude, who pissed in your Corn Flakes this day? I wasn't "bashing" Blitz at all, I was making an informed observation based on research. As for the tin foil hat comment, I forget this forum doesn't have that room, it's on another gun forum I belong to. Chill out Francis.

As for the OP, I stand by my comments that I feel the SKS is the best overall option.

I know you're gonna love it man! Just remember that the Yugo SKS does not have a chrome lined barrel, so be fastidious about cleaning. If you do that, your Yugo SKS will last a VERY long time!

Here it is next to my 10/22.

C360_2012-06-06-18-46-36.jpg

Looks great. That should fit the bill. Now, what is next on the list? Do you have that rifle that will drop big game? Something that will drop anything in North America and most of the animals on Africa? Something that will split an engine block?

Just keep in mind it does not have a chrome bore and you will have to clean it very soon and very well (and several times over several days) if you shoot corossive ammo. Yugos are good guns from what I hear. Be sure to collect some stripper clips for it

I clean mine just like I do all the rest of my pistols and rifles. None of them have chrome lined bores. You can find plenty of the non-corrosive ammunition out there.

TapcoSKS.jpg

I have heard arguments that the unlined bore can be more accurate than some of the unevenly chromed bore rifles. A good cleaning after shooting is just good practice. Buying the best ammo you can afford is good practice too. Maybe ... if the only ammunition available is corrosive and , I find the need to shoot much more than I can foresee, I might consider chrome lined a priority. More than likely I'd just pick up a back up as a spare and move on.
I'm happy with my Yugo SKS. I am sure you will be with yours.

Looks great. That should fit the bill. Now, what is next on the list? Do you have that rifle that will drop big game? Something that will drop anything in North America and most of the animals on Africa? Something that will split an engine block?

Nothing else on my list for now. This is my biggest bore rifle and should suffice as a good general purpose rifle for where I live.

I clean mine just like I do all the rest of my pistols and rifles. None of them have chrome lined bores. You can find plenty of the non-corrosive ammunition out there.

TapcoSKS.jpg

I have heard arguments that the unlined bore can be more accurate than some of the unevenly chromed bore rifles. A good cleaning after shooting is just good practice. Buying the best ammo you can afford is good practice too. Maybe ... if the only ammunition available is corrosive and , I find the need to shoot much more than I can foresee, I might consider chrome lined a priority. More than likely I'd just pick up a back up as a spare and move on.
I'm happy with my Yugo SKS. I am sure you will be with yours.

Good looking SKS you have there! ;)

Good looking SKS you have there! ;)
Now you know why I thought you made a great choice :)

I saved the big "hurt to shoot" large bore rifle for the last in my collection. Sure it will be the one I need the least, but is really is nice to have. Clearing a dozen water filled jugs and punching a hole your finger fits through at 100 yards is fun. I waited many years to add that big elk or bear rifle to my cabinet.

Right now you need to stockpile ammo. That SKS will eat it up fast. I found 100 rounds is not nearly enough for one outing :)

Now you know why I thought you made a great choice :)

Right now you need to stockpile ammo. That SKS will eat it up fast. I found 100 rounds is not nearly enough for one outing :)

Agreed, that is my focus now. Yeah I bought 60 rounds when I took it to the range and that wasn't nearly enough. I'm going in a minute to get some more rounds and probably head back to the range. :)

Marlin 336, SKS or a used AK (if you can get one cheap). I'd probably opt for the SKS since it's semi auto. AK would be first choice if you can find one for $400.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top