JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one ?

• Springfield Hellcat Pro

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Walther PDP

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Beretta APX A1

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
There may be a reason why no one is suggesting those (3) options…..

Just saying.

I'm looking to pick up a handgun that will be primarily nightstand gun, but also sometimes conceal carry in a winter jacket. I'm looking for guns that are accurate, have good reviews, and good recoil control. The ones I have it narrowed down to are:
Springfield Hellcat Pro
Walther PDP
Beretta APX A1

feel free to suggest others like these.
My nightstand guns are a rifle and a shotgun(sure the hell wouldnt be a small pistol, maybe a g17).....if those are available I'm definitely not looking for my pistol. I have a dz or so carry guns, none on your list. I'm carrying a shadow systems 920 right now....glock 45 was my last carry

Last Edited:
HellCat pro has been 100% reliable after hundreds of rounds.
Having said that, my two cents on compact guns are.

Biggest pro - I actually carry it, where a full size I would not carry as much due to it's large size.
Con - way easier for me to hit a target with a full size.
what do you like about the hellcat pro? i have a glock 19, does it compare at all

The Walther PDP is by far the best of the three you mentioned. The stock trigger is basically equivalent to a custom competition trigger. Adjustable rear sights come standard. MOS is standard. And the ergonomics are next level good. This is a pistol that fits in your hand naturally. You don't need to learn a new grip to shoot it. Can't go wrong for $500. Only downside are $50 magazines.
yeah I was leaning towards the PDP... however, the Beretta APX A1 for only 300 bucks after rebate is very hard to say no to. Incredible value. I wish my range had those as rentals

Probably can't go wrong with the either of the 3 options you have narrowed down to, or something similar from Glock or S&W. I would take the Hellcat over the others just for the hi-vis iron sights, but it looks like all models are optics ready so that may be a non issue for you.

I like that the spec sheet on the Walther website gives you more info than some others, such as trigger pull (5.6 lbs) etc.

the only range near me is threat dynamics and they have none of these for rental. so that's not an option
Try the Public Safety Training Center it's not far from Tigard and they may have those options for rental.

I like many on here would suggest trying them out first, however I do think any of the three would be a solid choice. Myself I would probably steer towards the Hellcat Pro but only because I have fondled one in the past and like the size, capacity and how it fits in my hand.

Probably can't go wrong with the either of the 3 options you have narrowed down to, or something similar from Glock or S&W. I would take the Hellcat over the others just for the hi-vis iron sights, but it looks like all models are optics ready so that may be a non issue for you.

I like that the spec sheet on the Walther website gives you more info than some others, such as trigger pull (5.6 lbs) etc.
its a shame the rear sight on the hellcat is normal white and not night sight. But ive always wanted to try out a red dot so that would be a good excuse

A comped G17 with a Surefire X300 is what sits on my night stand and the same gun is currently inside my waistband while I'm at work.

I'm looking to pick up a handgun that will be primarily nightstand gun, but also sometimes conceal carry in a winter jacket. I'm looking for guns that are accurate, have good reviews, and good recoil control. The ones I have it narrowed down to are:
Springfield Hellcat Pro
Walther PDP
Beretta APX A1

feel free to suggest others like these.
I have shot the Hellcat and PDP, but not the APX. Overall they seemed OK to me - not exceptional, but not terrible. Bear in mind that's just putting a box through each to see how they run, not in-depth trigger time.

Buying a handgun is a highly personal experience - what works for one person will not work for you. I have never been able to shoot Sig pistols well. Don't know why, they're great pistols, comfortable in the hand, but I have never been as good with them as other guns. Years ago I was considering getting a Walther CCP. It was very comfortable to hold, seemed like it would be a great little pistol. Decided to rent one first before buying, and ended up absolutely hating how it shot.

I guarantee you nearly all of us have similar stories. That's why most folks here are recommending you try before you buy, even if it means going out of your way to find one available for rental. IMO it's better to invest that time up front than throw down hundreds of dollars on something you might not like. Or you can roll the dice - it's your money, your choice.

Nearly every gun you buy is going to be more "accurate" than you can be as a human because your heartbeat and breathing are going to inherently cause the weapon to move when held. Recoil control is also up to to you as a shooter - subcompact pistols are more snappy than full size pistols due to lighter weight and shorter barrel length, but how you handle the gun is going to have a bigger impact on "recoil control" than any design characteristics of a pistol. How comfortable the gun feels to you individually is also going to impact how well you control recoil, and therefore how accurate you are with it. That being said, most issues related to accuracy and recoil control can be overcome with training.

Regarding overall reliability, they're three major brands that generally don't suck, so as long as you're handling it properly and go through a proper break-in period you'll probably be fine.

Hope this helps, good luck with the search.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top