JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My least favorite firearm related term - at the LGS -
"I'm sorry but your credit card has been denied for being over your limit".
That's a day cr*pper for sure. Not that it's ever happened to me or anything, LOL.

"Clip" when they mean "magazine" is annoying, especially among folks that should know better.

A little story from this weekend - and this is not about someone that should know better, but an example of how little some folks today know about guns:

I was at my local Freddie's yesterday. I had a partial GC to use and decided to pick up a BX-25x2 magazine. I took it to the checkstand where my cashier, a guy in his late 20's by my reckoning, looks over the package with a quizzical look on his face. He looks it over for a bit and says "what is this for?", and before I can answer, he says "Oh, it's for installing anchors". I smiled and corrected him, telling him it was a magazine for a .22 rifle. He kind of shrugs in non-amazement and proceeds to scan it.

The item is not in the system, so he has to call back to the sporting goods section to get the proper code. He calls them and says "I have a RUTGER (yes, he added the T) BX25 clip", the person on the other end seemed confused, so he has to repeat himself twice more. Now, I had just told him it was a magazine, but he referred to it as a 'clip'. We got it sorted out finally and I was able to take my anchor-fastening clip home.

It is surprising to me that the average person can't even recognize a magazine (or clip) when they see one. I really think there was a time when most folks would at least have been exposed to them, whether they were shooters or not. When he reverted to the term 'clip', it really made me wonder if the only exposure he ever gets to firearms is what he reads in the media after a mass shooting.

My guess was that he probably wasn't happy with my purchase. His look didn't seem to be one of pleasure ;). I took my 'clip' and left smiling at him as I did so.

Here in yUK -

'bullet head' for bullet.

'mech' for action.

'shotty' for shotgun.

'Remmie' for Remington.

'powders' for propellants.

'bullet shells' for empties...

'rounds of ammunition' as in 'he fired twelve rounds of ammunition' as though it was more than twelve actual shots fired.

There are more, but I'm feeling gack.

tac

I'd like to hear which firearm-related terms or phrases bug you the most. I can think of many off the top of my head, such as the misuse of the word 'clip', or 'assault weapon', but the ones that bug me the most are 'packing heat' and 'gun-toting'. It seems that these words have such a negative connotation that the moment they're heard or read you know immediately where one stands on the gun rights issue. So, what are yours?

None annoy or bother me. I learned long ago to not sweat such minor insignificant things.

It is the big important things in life that really matter. Life is too short to let little things bother you.

I've lost track of the number of times I have seen a person attacked or ridiculed online for using terms like clip and assault weapon. As Shakespeare would say, its "Much Ado About Nothing".

Last Edited:
Use of the term 45 long colt there is no such thing.

the if used properly is colt 45

if refereeing to the other 45 it is 45 ACP

Nothing wrong from a historical perspective in using that term. The US Army used to refer to it as such, in order to further distinguish it from the .45 Short Colt, which was the 45 S&W with a narrowed rim like the 45 Colt so that it could be used in both the Colt Single Action Army and the S&W Schofield.

It is part of the US Army's history. The .45 ACP did not even exist yet back then.

Many misused terms and over used terms bug me concerning firearms and the vast majority of those have been mentioned by others. Here are two things that makes me think you know nothing about firearms or shooting if we were speaking.

1. Mispronouncing Leupold and calling it a "Leopold" as if it were a Belgian king. I'm not sure why, but it bugs me.

2. When I ask someone what kind of rifle or handgun they own and they respond; a 30-06 or a .45. To me that would be like someone asking you what kind of car you drive and you answer; a V-8. It gets worse when I clarify that I am interested in knowing the specific manufacturer and they don't know!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top