JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have this little shooter just like I like it. I came to me as slick as a 80 year old model 1894 thats been taken care of can be. I did a little work on the Magazine spring and the Tube will hold 6 rounds of Sierra 125gr FPHP which I run about as fast as I should makes a very effective self defense round that can take down a Mule deer or small bear if need be other varmints as well. Simple buckhorn rear stock type front post with a bead good for 100 yards easy. And a rifle I have experience with for 55 years as my first deer hunting rifle was a 1957 Model 1894 in 30-30 that was dads. SO wondering where the safety is or other such nonsense will not come into play. I own 1894's from 16.25" to 26" and 1925 to 1968 been loading 30-30 since I was 11. Dad had me load those first deer hunting rounds as well as the about 40 rounds he had me put down range at Four Corners before the hunt. Course I have had the WIllys longer. First time I sat in it I was 5

Last Edited:
I dont fully know your situation, maybe if your Willys was stored in a climate controlled garage or outbuilding.
But I wouldnt otherwise store a classic heirloom rifle in a vehicle.

The rifle may very well still be usable, no reason not to store it indoors and grab it when you use the Willys for adventure trips. The idea of some SHTF emergency and jumping in the truck to bug out without any time to grab something isnt realistic anyways. If insisting, a low dollar pawn shop modern gun would suffice for an emergency arm for such an event, but will never happen that way. You'll have time to grab the favorite rifle.

Last Edited:
I dont fully know your situation, maybe if your Willys was stored in a climate controlled garage or outbuilding.

The rifle may very well still be usable, no reason to store it indoors and grab it when you use the Willys for adventure trips. The idea of some SHTF emergency and jumping in the truck to bug out without any time to grab something isnt realistic anyways. If insisting, a low dollar pawn shop modern gun would suffice for an emergency arm for such an event, but will never happen that way. You'll have time to grab the favorite rifle.
I'm with this train of thought too...
The $400 AR pistol, $300 beat up Marlin 336, or $250 turk or chinese 12 gauge are what I'd lean to for "truck gun". The thought of using a pre war Winnie makes me sad.

The rifle may very well still be usable, no reason not to store it indoors and grab it when you use the Willys for adventure trips. The idea of some SHTF emergency and jumping in the truck to bug out without any time to grab something isnt realistic anyways. If insisting, a low dollar pawn shop modern gun would suffice for an emergency arm for such an event, but will never happen that way. You'll have time to grab the favorite rifle.
Yes my 48 Willys is parked in my shop about 15 feet from where I sleep. Not really climate controlled but very rarely gets below 40° I'm not worried about the storage of the rifle While parked at home I am worried about it while out on a 2-3 week adventure. I am building an Off road travel trailer to go with the Willys and we plan some long trips to most of the Western USA over the next few years.

Yes my 48 Willys is parked in my shop about 15 feet from where I sleep. Not really climate controlled but very rarely gets below 40° I'm not worried about the storage of the rifle While parked at home I am worried about it while out on a 2-3 week adventure. I am building an Off road travel trailer to go with the Willys and we plan some long trips to most of the Western USA over the next few years.
I wish I could park a jeep in my bedroom...

a 2-3 week trip isn't going to rust your rifle. Your title says 'long term storage' so thats what I wouldn't do in the jeep box your building.

I'm with this train of thought too...
The $400 AR pistol, $300 beat up Marlin 336, or $250 turk or chinese 12 gauge are what I'd lean to for "truck gun". The thought of using a pre war Winnie makes me sad.
How is a $300 Marlin 336 less of a classic then a cut up (the barrel and magazine has had almost 4" cut off the length) very worn 1894 Winchester? Which by the way I bought specifically for this paying $300 for it?

I wish I could park a jeep in my bedroom...

a 2-3 week trip isn't going to rust your rifle. Your title says 'long term storage' so thats what I wouldn't do in the jeep box your building.
Our house is weird the 1970's addition on our 1923 house has a 19.5' x 20' shop on the ground floor with a master bedroom, nursery, large walk in closet and small bath with shower. Then a 19.5' x 12' Addition was added on the back of the shop with a full deck on it. I later came along and added a 4' extension on the front of the shop and a 19.5' x 22' half garage half semi open carport (thats full of Bandsaw Table saw and building materials. Once I have time I will replace the crappy Barn doors on the front of the garage section (which is open to the shop where it meets up with the front of the house) and then I'll put a pair of really nice Barn doors across the front of the carport /garage complete with openers and the whole bit. Once the last of the work on the house is done the building materials will be gone and the wife will park her car on the one side while the Willys and the Off road trailer will be on the other side.

I guess I should have been clearer on how long I think of as long term. My concern is more abrasion then rust, The idea about slipping the foam padding inside Silicone socks will help address both concerns so this thread has been helpful.

Our house is weird the 1970's addition on our 1923 house has a 19.5' x 20' shop on the ground floor with a master bedroom, nursery, large walk in closet and small bath with shower. Then a 19.5' x 12' Addition was added on the back of the shop with a full deck on it. I later came along and added a 4' extension on the front of the shop and a 19.5' x 22' half garage half semi open carport (thats full of Bandsaw Table saw and building materials. Once I have time I will replace the crappy Barn doors on the front of the garage section (which is open to the shop where it meets up with the front of the house) and then I'll put a pair of really nice Barn doors across the front of the carport /garage complete with openers and the whole bit. Once the last of the work on the house is done the building materials will be gone and the wife will park her car on the one side while the Willys and the Off road trailer will be on the other side.

I guess I should have been clearer on how long I think of as long term. My concern is more abrasion then rust, The idea about slipping the foam padding inside Silicone socks will help address both concerns so this thread has been helpful.

I am still working on exactly how I will hold the rifle to the inside of the gun safe door because when I open it being over head the door will swing down to the vertical and unless I want the rifle falling out I will need some manner of holding it to the door. I have a couple ideas and luckily this is something that can be changed should one idea not work out as well as I hoped.

Speaking for myself, when I read that I somehow interpreted as more valuable than $300. Tossing the red flag for further review, and I confess I have no idea why. I guess I skipped over "shooter" straight to "value". :s0092:
Easy to see how that could happen I was originally trying to be vague I should have known better :D

How is a $300 Marlin 336 less of a classic then a cut up (the barrel and magazine has had almost 4" cut off the length) very worn 1894 Winchester? Which by the way I bought specifically for this paying $300 for it?
I'm pretty sure any shooter grade pre-64 94 is worth a bit more than $300. Mine's been through a pretty rough life before it came to me and it's a bit rough. I could see dedicating it to a special purpose like what the OP is thinking. Handy, light, with a decent magazine capacity, chambered in a capable cartridge.

Ok, I have to [demand] ask for pictures of this well loved heirloom.
IMO even if its modified and beat up a classic lever gun is always a viable self defense option and an original western era has huge cool factor. Id take care of that beauty.

Lets see it.

Any gun I store in a case gets several "balls" of silicone thrown in with it. I make them inexpensively using coffee filters and silica gel cat litter, the non-clumping and non-dust kind. Just pour into a coffee filter and sinch it up using a stapler. So far works great. I think there have been some extreme cases (mainly east coast) where too much moisture absorption within a safe resulted in wooden gun stock drying and cracking, but that issue doesn't appear to manifest in our PNW environment and certainly is not something I've ever seen after years of storing my guns this way.

Ok the rifle mounting is done.

V5ww1am.jpg

in the photo everything is upside down because the roof section of the hard top is laying on its top on my work table. The pink foam is just to hold the rifle into the saddles. And the action being open slightly is because it got opened when trying to get the rifle into the saddles and I just did not close it. This keeps the rifle about 3/8" away from everything and the only wear will be on the wood. And the wood on this rifle is nothing to worry about. Its chipped and mismatched. With all the other wear and tear on it.

The idea here is storage not quick deployment (I got a pistol for that) its to have a rifle along for the ride. I still need to add a Velcro strap over the butt stock saddle to hold it in more secure. In actual use when I unlock the safe door the lid with the rifle attached will swing down allowing me to reach over with my right hand and pull the Velcro strap and lift the rifle out of the saddles.

The saddles are Micarta and have thin Neoprene foam weather stripping for padding. No weight on the saddles when the door is closed. I'm also going to make up a couple little Silica dry air units to go in the corners to help keep the safe dry in changing weather.

Ok the rifle mounting is done.

View attachment 1809985

in the photo everything is upside down because the roof section of the hard top is laying on its top on my work table. The pink foam is just to hold the rifle into the saddles. And the action being open slightly is because it got opened when trying to get the rifle into the saddles and I just did not close it. This keeps the rifle about 3/8" away from everything and the only wear will be on the wood. And the wood on this rifle is nothing to worry about. Its chipped and mismatched. With all the other wear and tear on it.

The idea here is storage not quick deployment (I got a pistol for that) its to have a rifle along for the ride. I still need to add a Velcro strap over the butt stock saddle to hold it in more secure. In actual use when I unlock the safe door the lid with the rifle attached will swing down allowing me to reach over with my right hand and pull the Velcro strap and lift the rifle out of the saddles.

The saddles are Micarta and have thin Neoprene foam weather stripping for padding. No weight on the saddles when the door is closed. I'm also going to make up a couple little Silica dry air units to go in the corners to help keep the safe dry in changing weather.
That's one cool set up. I'm wondering if you focus on the rifle itself, maybe micro slick and duracoat the crap out of it. Then it shouldn't matter what you pack it with for storage. Pink Styrofoam peanuts might even work?

Love the design, but what are all those switches and lights for?
Dome lights and a cooling fan for the GMRS radio mounted on the ceiling. I have multiple zone dome lights in both white and red( the wife and I are into astronomy and the red lights help maintain night vision.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top