JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Besides ARs, what is the most versatile firearm platform. A candidate will have a frame or receiver that is capable of being used in numerous different configurations of both rifle and pistol.

I am thinking a Glock 19 or maybe a P320?

_MG_2494.jpeg.jpg

I win.

Something to consider with versatile....
One can do many things....but not be good at doing those many things.
Conversely ...
Over specialization will make one excellent at one thing...and not so excellent at anything else.

As you may guess...
I ain't a fan of "versatile firearm platform"...
Pick a firearm that is good / useful for what and how you shoot....
This will mean that you will have more than one firearm , since there ain't no one size fits all ...for anything.
Andy

Most versatile PLATFORM? The AK, of course. Not nearly as easy to mix and match parts in your garage, however they have very short pistols and very long RPK style rifles and they can come chambered in just about anything from 5.56 to .308 to 12 gauge.

Most versatile PLATFORM? The AK, of course. Not nearly as easy to mix and match parts in your garage, however they have very short pistols and very long RPK style rifles and they can come chambered in just about anything from 5.56 to .308 to 12 gauge.
Mauser 98 action :D

How many cartridges, how many different barrels, how many companies got their start from modifying, rechambering, new stocks, and so on, on the Mauser 1898 actions?

Edit. Winchester 70 was based on Mauser 98 action...

Mauser 98 action :D

How many cartridges, how many different barrels, how many companies got their start from modifying, rechambering, new stocks, and so on, on the Mauser 1898 actions?

Edit. Winchester 70 was based on Mauser 98 action...

No wait.. 5?

I don't know maybe 9? :s0092:

As much as I hate to admit it, I think the Remington 700 "platform" has a huge following in many different venues.
I wish I had half of the offerings for a Winchester 70 or the Ruger 77MKII.

Besides ARs, what is the most versatile firearm platform. A candidate will have a frame or receiver that is capable of being used in numerous different configurations of both rifle and pistol.

I am thinking a Glock 19 or maybe a P320?
Versatility in what sense?

A break action shotgun with chamber inserts or a Thompson Contender may be versatile in the context of hunting a variety of game, but falls short as a defensive arm because you are limited to one shot at a time.

A SIG 320 is modular and can be adapted to everything from subcompact to full size, and even PDW, but your maximum possible shooting distance is limited by caliber selection, and you wouldn't hunt with most pistol calibers. At some point in the future we may see rifles built around the 320 FCU (see this for example: http://firecontrolunit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/X01-Black-Paper_v0131.pdf), but they aren't out yet.

I would consider a bullpup rifle like the Steyr AUG, Tavor, etc to be the most versatile because it can be used for everything from CQB to long range marksmanship with a simple swap of a barrel.

AR180-inspired platforms (Bren, MCX, G36, etc) are similar in that respect - the side folding stock creates a very compact platform, but you can drop in a long barrel and get decent accuracy at greater distances.

A pump or semi auto shotgun with multiple barrels of different lengths and a variety of different loads would also be quite versatile, though maximum shooting distance wouldn't be as far as a rifle.

Something to consider with versatile....
One can do many things....but not be good at doing those many things.
Conversely ...
Over specialization will make one excellent at one thing...and not so excellent at anything else.

As you may guess...
I ain't a fan of "versatile firearm platform"...
Pick a firearm that is good / useful for what and how you shoot....
This will mean that you will have more than one firearm , since there ain't no one size fits all ...for anything.
Andy
+100 this work on so many levels from guns, trucks,motorcycles, wood clamps, alcohol and women.

Versatility in what sense?

A break action shotgun with chamber inserts or a Thompson Contender may be versatile in the context of hunting a variety of game, but falls short as a defensive arm because you are limited to one shot at a time.

A SIG 320 is modular and can be adapted to everything from subcompact to full size, and even PDW, but your maximum possible shooting distance is limited by caliber selection, and you wouldn't hunt with most pistol calibers. At some point in the future we may see rifles built around the 320 FCU (see this for example: http://firecontrolunit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/X01-Black-Paper_v0131.pdf), but they aren't out yet.

I would consider a bullpup rifle like the Steyr AUG, Tavor, etc to be the most versatile because it can be used for everything from CQB to long range marksmanship with a simple swap of a barrel.

AR180-inspired platforms (Bren, MCX, G36, etc) are similar in that respect - the side folding stock creates a very compact platform, but you can drop in a long barrel and get decent accuracy at greater distances.

A pump or semi auto shotgun with multiple barrels of different lengths and a variety of different loads would also be quite versatile, though maximum shooting distance wouldn't be as far as a rifle.
"Versatility in what sense?"

Versatility in configuration. At minimum it would need to be able to be configured as a pistol and rifle.

Let's look at the AR15 platform for example. It can be set up as pistol, rifle or shotgun. It can be set up to fire centerfire or rimfire cartridges in manual loading or semiautomatic. It can be set up to fire a bunch of different centerfire cartridges. Furniture options are near endless for the ARs. All of these configurations can be achieved with a single serialized lower receiver.

I suspect the Glock 19 frame would be the next best option with the widest availability of parts options to change configurations. A Sig p320 FCU would be the winner if more rifle options become available.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top