JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a need to store a vintage rifle of shooter value in a storage case with a foam interior. The case while being stored will be subject to movement and vibration. I assume it would be best to have the rifle held as securely as possible to avoid as much movement between the metal and the foam. Its also not really an option to have the rifle in something like a sock while doing this. It needs to be readily available for use. The rifle in question has a nearly 90 year old factory blued finish. The rifle was purchased specifically for this use. But as with all my firearms I would try to keep it in as good of condition as possible.

Any thoughts on this.

I have a need to store a vintage rifle of shooter value in a storage case with a foam interior. The case while being stored will be subject to movement and vibration. I assume it would be best to have the rifle held as securely as possible to avoid as much movement between the metal and the foam. Its also not really an option to have the rifle in something like a sock while doing this. It needs to be readily available for use. The rifle in question has a nearly 90 year old factory blued finish. The rifle was purchased specifically for this use. But as with all my firearms I would try to keep it in as good of condition as possible.

Any thoughts on this.
Foam is notorious for holding moisture.

I have cases manufactured by "Doskocil" and "Pelican" that I have used for long term 20 - 25 years with no ill effect. The foam is still like new. These have been used in Seattle, costal Southern California (a few hundred yards from the ocean) and North Idaho. That said I also have a factory box for my Sig p210-6 that is about the same age that luckily I was not using for storage as the factory foam has turned sticky and rubbery, yuck, need to find stable foam to restore the box.

So long story short, not all foams are created equal.

I may be wrong here but couldn't you just rattle can a clear coat onto the metal surfaces. It would protect it. From both rust and potential rubbing. Then just use some acetone to take it off when the rifle is ready for the safe. Acetone won't hurt bluing.

I have stored them in the past…. ." 3 years"

Never had one rust, just a light oil, bubble wrap and tape it up tight. If you can disassemble it a little, even better. Just wrap everything the same.

I've had foam hold moisture after taking it out to the public range on a rainy day, despite drying it out, I still had retained moisture.
(as others have noted)

I've also seen foam break down with exposures to oil and grease on my grandfathers stored firearms. It turned into an odd power, crumbled to the touch, made a massive mess.

YMMV, that's just what I've had happen with standard black/grey type foam, so I don't use it for long term storage. I have however had stored old pistols in styrofoam and that seemed to hold up very well over a long period of time.
Colt single action been in the box with that white styrofoam for 40 years, looks like new.

Some thoughts in no particular order...

Replace open cell foam with closed cell foam...which doesn't hold anywhere near the moisture that open cell does

Treat rifle with a liberal coat of Renaissance Wax on, at least, a monthly basis and more if you can manage it.

Consider using an old school soft case that is lined with whatever that wool material is and not foam touching the rifle. The right soft case can probably be accessed just as quickly as a hard case.

No matter what method you use, start with a deep clean, then a thin coat of oil over all the metal parts.

It'll look a bit like you're landing for D-Day, but putting it in a clear contractor's trash bag cut to size and tied very tightly, with a couple of dessicant packets tossed in should protect it indefinitely while still being easy to tear open when needed. Put it in whatever foam or non-foam case you want.

If you want to go maximum overkill, use 8 mil poly bags with a bag sealer from U Line

Any thoughts on this.
Don't do it. I've seen a few guns destroyed like this.

Honestly, I"d just buy a beater, maybe Cerakote it, and roll with it. I definitely wouldn't stick a rifle I valued much into a foam lined box and throw it in my truck.

I'm not even sure about the Cerakote part as I've never done it or had it done to any of my firearms. A friend of mine called me for advice on Cerakoting as he was (much like you) looking for a solution for long term storage in his travel trailer. I told him I wasn't familiar with the process. Sadly, he died in an accident before I found out whether he ever completed the project.

The rifle was purchased specifically for this use. Its a shooter has almost no collector value due to having a cut down barrel and magazine as well as little bluing on the receiver and pretty well used wood that is mismatched.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top