JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A truck gun shouldn't be an heirloom grade relic, it should be a $150 pump gun stored in a soft foam case.. taken out and inspected perhaps a few times a year.

The rifle was purchased specifically for this use. Its a shooter has almost no collector value due to having a cut down barrel and magazine as well as little bluing on the receiver and pretty well used wood that is mismatched.
Sounds like a tale of 2 rattle cans to me.

shopping.jpeg-11.jpg images.jpeg-276.jpg

And if you're serious about quick access, ditch the flambeau clamshell.
Scabbard or even an old toolbag is pretty fast.

The rifle will be stored in a gun safe built into the ceiling of my hard top on my 48 Willys jeep. You have no idea how small a Willys jeep is until you are in one. And even a 16.25" barrel model 1894 was hard to find a place to store.

I thorouhly cleaned my nephew's Marlin model 60 .22 rifle and put a heavy coat of regular CLP on all exposed metal. I then took it and placed it in one of those silicon impregnated gun socks you get at Sportmans or Cabellas, and then placed it in a sturdy, foam lined plastic gun case, placing in the rafters of my parents garage in Southern Oregon. Fifteen years roll by and I want to get that rifle to my nephew who I had given to when he was a boy. My thoughts were that this rifle is going to be a mass of rust. I pulled the rfle down and it's covered in a hard pack of dust a 1/4" deep, with a dried slury of cat pee to boot. It took me over a half hour to clean the outside of the case to get it back to what I remembered. I opened the case, pulled out the rifle and it was like the day I put it in there. I could have loaded the magazine and shot it right there.

When a travel with my long guns I first put a gun socks on before putting it them inside a foam cases. I have a cable lock on one my shotguns and have taken it on a road trips with a cable lock on it inside a foam case for a few weeks it it was fine. I am not sure who long a shotgun or rifle will last in a gun sock since I only have limited experience with my travels.

I've had good luck with EEZOX for long-term storage. Advantage over gun oil is that (SUPPOSEDLY - according to EEZOX's product description data) the corrosion resistance is the result of a molecular bonding of the product with the firearm's metal to provide a DRY lubrication / corrosion resistance.

Anyway, it has worked well for me.

TWYLALTR

Good luck.

Some thoughts in no particular order...

Replace open cell foam with closed cell foam...which doesn't hold anywhere near the moisture that open cell does

Treat rifle with a liberal coat of Renaissance Wax on, at least, a monthly basis and more if you can manage it.

Consider using an old school soft case that is lined with whatever that wool material is and not foam touching the rifle. The right soft case can probably be accessed just as quickly as a hard case.
+1on the Renaissance Wax,Great stuff with a lot of different applications.

The rifle will be stored in a gun safe built into the ceiling of my hard top on my 48 Willys jeep. You have no idea how small a Willys jeep is until you are in one. And even a 16.25" barrel model 1894 was hard to find a place to store.
Stored like that it IS going to rust. The temperature swings and resulting condensation will guarantee it.
Take two silicone gun socks and split them lengthwise. glue one to the foam in each side of the case so the gun doesn't contact the foam. Take the gun out and air out the case frequently. Should keep it from getting too bad.

Even if it's pre-war meaning Vietnam!
Sorry did not take into account people not knowing how generalized terms for dating a Winchester works. When I said pre war I was talking about WWII if it was pre Vietnam I most likely would have said something like Pre 64

Sorry did not take into account people not knowing how generalized terms for dating a Winchester works. When I said pre war I was talking about WWII if it was pre Vietnam I most likely would have said something like Pre 64
I knew what you meant, and I meant what I said. It's a play on words.

I have a Winchester Model 1894 = Pre-WWI 1917
I have a Winchester Model 70 = Pre- War 1941
I have a Winchester Model 70 = Post War, Pre-64 1952

I am far from new to this game...

Stored like that it IS going to rust. The temperature swings and resulting condensation will guarantee it.
Take two silicone gun socks and split them lengthwise. glue one to the foam in each side of the case so the gun doesn't contact the foam. Take the gun out and air out the case frequently. Should keep it from getting too bad.
This idea has some merit the gun safe is only 5.75" wide by 35.75" long so I can actually just stretch a gun sock over the foam padding with no trouble. I'll have to trim the length of the sock but that again is no trouble the wife can re hem it for me. I happen to have a pair of new Midway socks that would work well. As I doubt trying to glue to something impregnated with Silicone would work very well.

I knew what you meant, and I meant what I said. It's a play on words.

I have a Winchester Model 1894 = Pre-WWI 1917
I have a Winchester Model 70 = Pre- War 1941
I have a Winchester Model 70 = Post War, Pre-64 1952

I am far from new to this game...
OK well technically yes its a pre Gulf war as well

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR