JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mine sits on my nightstand and there is a lockbox there but I seldom use it as I live alone. If I did have kids I'd put it in the box every night. It takes less than two seconds to get into the box.

Work strictly prohibits me carrying while on the job, and when I do, it's either on me or next to me. As I write, the 10mm is in it's holster next to me.
Everything else is locked away in the safe. Son demonstrated for the 10th(?) time that he practices gun safety, so I gave him the combo to my safe.
If I ask him to get a specific gun for me, he'll pull it out, check for clear, open the action and then hand it to me. Proud papa.

Everything locked up un loaded in the gun safe. Mags and ammo in another locked safe. Reload mags stashed around the house. Up high. We secure EVERYTHING with the smaller grandkids inside.. We take this very seriously. My carry piece under the pillow. The light automatic rifle on the bed beside me. We sleep in separate bedrooms. I snore to wake the dead. Even the tiny killer attack dog and the cat do not sleep with me. :( :(
If you are scratching your head and muttering WTF? remember we live in the Southern Illinois Valley of Josephine County Oregon. Zero law enforcement 90% of the time. NONE usually.
All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.
and 99% of the time, law enforcement is >10 minutes away.

I don't carry. But this is relevant.
I have RBD - REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
It causes me to act out what I am dreaming - sometimes.
I have kicked, punched and even stabbed things (I once pulled a folding knife from my pocket while sleeping in a recliner).
And yes, I have grabbed a gun while sleeping.
For that reason, I do not have a loaded gun near where I can reach while I am sleeping. It simply is not safe for me or anyone around me.
As for my kids - they are adults.
I sleep-walked a lot as a youngster, and would infrequently get up and do things in my sleep into my late 20's. Never worried about it, as people told me I was a happy, cheerful person when I sleepwalked. I do have some fond memories of waking up elsewhere in the house while doing fun stuff.
Buddy of mine was a violent person in his sleep. He sought help after he woke up one night with his hand on his wife's throat, about to punch her. Valium was the Rx answer.

Like a lot of the group here the EDC is with me in the day hours and at night it is within arms reach on the night stand. That works well for me. Last week the wife was out of town off on a business trip and I was home alone. [yikes! always a danger] Anyhoo, a couple of hours after I went to bed the doorbell rang and someone knocked on the door. That NEVER happens. I sat up in bed grabbed my EDC. Quickly scanned the immediate area and it was clear. What the heck thought I? Here I am clearing the house in my Scooby Doo jammies. Looked furtively out the bedroom window that faces the street. There it was! It was a UPS truck still delivering stuff at near midnight! I checked from inside and there was a box left on my porch. Normal if it had been 3pm in the afternoon. Not normal nearing midnight. Wasn't even an insured package. Then I got mad and thought why didn't the driver just quietly leave the box on the front porch? I would have found it the morning. Sheesh... I sat up for awhile afterwards being watchful and all remained quite. Eventually went back to bed but the "L'il German" stayed with me even closer for the rest of the night. As I drifted off to sleep I imagined that the UPS driver must have been a FNG and I felt a little sorry for him. Well, not that much.
Well if the UPS guy had been delivering for Amazon he could of just opened your door and put the package in the house without waking you! Isn't that a lovely thought.o_O

I usually tuck mine in the safe after reading them a story...With all the antique guns I have its kinda like visiting an old folks home.:D

And for all of you who keep guns in a your safe...be sure to give your guns "The Talk"...You know , "The Gun Control Talk"...If you don't talk to your guns about control then who will?
Besides lack of control can lead to "Sons of a Gun"...:D

As for us we have no little ones who visit , so there are at times guns out , unloaded.
Usually its one of my antique guns that I am working on , using for reference or looking up more information on.
I can not carry at school , so I my EDC choice is usually in the safe along with the rest of my guns...but I do have a "house gun" that is around , ready and within easy reach.
This gun would be put in the safe if we have welcome visitors.

I said usually 'cause what I wrote is the general rule ... but we get at times strange folk wandering our neighborhood or dog walking areas ( even some strange four footed critters ) ...So I have been known to deviate from the "usual".
Andy

I have no kids and do not carry during the day, but I sleep with my Ruger AR556 cradled in my left hand (cased, I don't want it to get scratched). Keeps my hand warm during those cold nights!
;)

I still talk in my sleep -- apparently with perfect enunciation, but things that make no sense. From childhood though, through my 20s I would actually do things too. One morning, my then girlfriend woke me up and said to me: "You know what you did last night?"
Me: "sleep."
She: "I woke up in the middle of the night and you were pressing a pillow in my face. When I asked you what you're doing, you said: 'I'm trying to suffocate you to death.'"

Apparently, I have the strength of a wet noodle when I'm sleeping -- she just pushed the pillow away, told me to stop it, and I did. I had absolutely zero recollection at all but it's pretty scary -- I could be sitting in prison still because who would believe I was totally asleep, and worse, she could be dead -- all from a bad dream. I feel pretty lucky.
YOU TOO!

17F3D083-037C-4EFC-A878-9F368CDDE07A.png

Is this a trick question???o_O

3 pages later and where is the OP????????:rolleyes:

I'm On my hip, or under the pillow! Scatter fun by the left side of the front door, and big bore lever action on the right side. We don't ever get unwelcome visitors of the 2 legged kind, and if we did, they wouldn't get past the first neighbors!

I forgot to mention a bit off topic but I normally leave a dim light on in the kitchen and or front room to backlight my home , so my hallway and bedroom is dark and the rest dimly lit , flash light is more for if power goes out or something along that line,

pretty much the same, I leave a light on inside at each entrance. This is a great tactic for those simple bump noises in the night.... as you make your way thru the house you wont be casting a shadow to those areas but anyone else will to you and you will also know immediately to retreat if any light is turned off as you investigate before you even enter that area.

I don't carry. But this is relevant.

I have RBD - REM Sleep Behavior Disorder

It causes me to act out what I am dreaming - sometimes.

I have kicked, punched and even stabbed things (I once pulled a folding knife from my pocket while sleeping in a recliner).

Speaking of which, I had an episode last night where I fell asleep in my recliner after eating dinner (bad habit). I had a dream where someone was trying to strap me into some kind of apparatus and I did not want that.

So I wound up flailing about - I grabbed a floor lamp next to the recliner (which I thought was part of the apparatus) and threw it across the room which resulted in things flying hither and fro.

Fortunately nothing was broken and nobody was injured (except my pride).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top