JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a question for people who carry your guns during the day. Can you please share if you will put your guns in a safe, leave by your bed side or still carry? Will your kids have access to them then?

My guns are locked in a safe, except for my EDC. It goes on the headboard when I sleep, otherwise it's on me when I'm conscious.

Both my EDC's are kept in the night stand, along with my carry surefire, when they're not on my person, except when the little niece and nephew are present, then they go into the safe.

Any gun that's not on me is secured. I have a bedside gun safe where my bedside gun resides. I have a regular gun safe where most of the other guns live. Also, I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have a covert safe or two around the house for securing a pistol or two in other locations.

All my guns are always locked in a safe except for my EDC, at night it goes in my dresser drawer. I don't have any kids to worry about getting ahold of it.

If I am at home just relaxing then I don't usually have it on me because I want to be comfortable, but it is always close.

Any gun that's not on me is secured. I have a bedside gun safe where my bedside gun resides. I have a regular gun safe where most of the other guns live. Also, I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have a covert safe or two around the house for securing a pistol or two in other locations.

I as well have a small safe for "offsite" storage. Pistol, knife, light, mags and plenty of ammo. Along with a bit of cash.

Everything locked up un loaded in the gun safe. Mags and ammo in another locked safe. Reload mags stashed around the house. Up high. We secure EVERYTHING with the smaller grandkids inside.. We take this very seriously. My carry piece under the pillow. The light automatic rifle on the bed beside me.

If you are scratching your head and muttering WTF? remember we live in the Southern Illinois Valley of Josephine County Oregon. Zero law enforcement 90% of the time. NONE usually.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Last Edited:
I don't carry. But this is relevant.

I have RBD - REM Sleep Behavior Disorder

It causes me to act out what I am dreaming - sometimes.

I have kicked, punched and even stabbed things (I once pulled a folding knife from my pocket while sleeping in a recliner).

And yes, I have grabbed a gun while sleeping.

For that reason, I do not have a loaded gun near where I can reach while I am sleeping. It simply is not safe for me or anyone around me.

As for my kids - they are adults.

I have always made an effort to keep anything dangerous out of the hands of the younger set. But I have taught Hunter Ed to students as young as 4 & 5 years of age and didn't have a problem with them. Adults develop some extremely bad Shooting habits and the older they are the more they think they can't do anything Wrong. I have always recommended that every Shooter should go through a Basics class every five(5) years and that they do so with an open mind. I believe that we would ALL benefit from attending at least a Basic Firearms Safety Class but then I also think that ALL drivers should also attend a Basic Driver's Ed Class. Neither of those ideas gets much:rolleyes: Support.

Our Ranges and our Roads would be better off if this were done. ANY volunteers???

hmmm My two carry guns are kept in a place not accessible by my grand daughters (they are 9 and 10 and both have had firearms training) as to my Kids having access well my son has a key (he stores some of his collection with mine) to where everything is stored my Daughter does not (she has her own damn guns and doesn't need to be borrowing mine she can play with her husbands guns if her's aren't enough LOL.

I rarely carry as my daily routine does not allow it most of the time

This! We have small kids in the house. My carry gun goes in the bedside biometric safe at night. Kids are kept safe, and from a dead sleep I can be firing within 5 seconds.

Like a lot of the group here the EDC is with me in the day hours and at night it is within arms reach on the night stand. That works well for me. Last week the wife was out of town off on a business trip and I was home alone. [yikes! always a danger] Anyhoo, a couple of hours after I went to bed the doorbell rang and someone knocked on the door. That NEVER happens. I sat up in bed grabbed my EDC. Quickly scanned the immediate area and it was clear. What the heck thought I? Here I am clearing the house in my Scooby Doo jammies. Looked furtively out the bedroom window that faces the street. There it was! It was a UPS truck still delivering stuff at near midnight! I checked from inside and there was a box left on my porch. Normal if it had been 3pm in the afternoon. Not normal nearing midnight. Wasn't even an insured package. Then I got mad and thought why didn't the driver just quietly leave the box on the front porch? I would have found it the morning. Sheesh... I sat up for awhile afterwards being watchful and all remained quite. Eventually went back to bed but the "L'il German" stayed with me even closer for the rest of the night. As I drifted off to sleep I imagined that the UPS driver must have been a FNG and I felt a little sorry for him. Well, not that much.

As others I have them all in my safe. Except the EDC is on the night stand and one more locked in a small safe somewhere in the house.

As soon as I buy a shotlock I will have either my shotgun or AR in the house as well.

I don't sleep. Ever. You don't get as many souls to eat (what, of course clowns eat souls! Possibly) if you sleep.

Jokes aside I have a 1911 on the table next to the couch I sleep on. Or in the pouch above my head on the cot.

No kids around, so not many concerns for that.

As others I have them all in my safe. Except the EDC is on the night stand and one more locked in a small safe somewhere in the house.

As soon as I buy a shotlock I will have either my shotgun or AR in the house as well.

I'm interested in getting one of those as well, great way to keep a long gun closer at hand than the regular safe.

Like a lot of the group here the EDC is with me in the day hours and at night it is within arms reach on the night stand. That works well for me. Last week the wife was out of town off on a business trip and I was home alone. [yikes! always a danger] Anyhoo, a couple of hours after I went to bed the doorbell rang and someone knocked on the door. That NEVER happens. I sat up in bed grabbed my EDC. Quickly scanned the immediate area and it was clear. What the heck thought I? Here I am clearing the house in my Scooby Doo jammies. Looked furtively out the bedroom window that faces the street. There it was! It was a UPS truck still delivering stuff at near midnight! I checked from inside and there was a box left on my porch. Normal if it had been 3pm in the afternoon. Not normal nearing midnight. Wasn't even an insured package. Then I got mad and thought why didn't the driver just quietly leave the box on the front porch? I would have found it the morning. Sheesh... I sat up for awhile afterwards being watchful and all remained quite. Eventually went back to bed but the "L'il German" stayed with me even closer for the rest of the night. As I drifted off to sleep I imagined that the UPS driver must have been a FNG and I felt a little sorry for him. Well, not that much.
Unbeknownst to us, our twenty something son, who was staying in our guest room ordered a pizza at something like 2 am. NOBODY EVER comes up our 1/4 mile gravel driveway at that time of night. The pizza delivery guy was met and questioned. Once he got his color back he left the pizza and departed. Our son will never do that again without notifying us first.

carry gun is left on nightstand loaded ,chambered round, and extra mag next to it and flashlight next to that, others locked in safe asleep

My locked up hidden pistol has a light on it. The one thing I didn't want to do was be fumbling for a light. It is just my wife and I in the house so I usually unlock the second pistol at night and leave it handy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top