JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I researched night sights and it seems there's about 44,000 different variations between $80 and $120.

What type (Fiber optic, T, combo, other I'm not aware of) do you use / recommend, if at all?

Is it best to take these to a gun smith for proper switching out / zeroing, assuming one is starting from zero previous experience?

TIAšŸ„ƒ

Night sights typically refer to sights using Tritium. I've been happy with Amerigo and Meprolight over the years. Fiber optics are great too. On pistols with a white light attached, night sights, fiber optics or just regular steel sights all work well. Installation is not difficult but will require a sight pusher typically and a front sight tool. Most gunsmiths charge about 25 bucks to swap em out. The sight pusher is nice to have if you want to dial in your zero

Night sights typically refer to sights using Tritium. I've been happy with Amerigo and Meprolight over the years. Fiber optics are great too. On pistols with a white light attached, night sights, fiber optics or just regular steel sights all work well. Installation is not difficult but will require a sight pusher typically and a front sight tool. Most gunsmiths charge about 25 bucks to swap em out. The sight pusher is nice to have if you want to dial in your zero
Do you find orange or green circles or other color combinations work best for you or your eyes?

Between my bride and I, we have tritium sights on a few guns that came installed from the factory. They all serve their purpose well. After watching (another) shooter lose a recently installed sight, my recommendation is to have someone who actually knows what they are doing install sights, especially if it is a carry gun.

As mentioned by others, the word night-sights typically refers to sights that have Tritium definitely in the front sight and it is an option / personal preference if there is Tritium also in the rear sight. There are many options including Tritium / fiber optic in the same sight. Fiber optic by itself is not a night-sight, they glow very brightly under sunlight, but at night they are as dark as black metal sights.
The difficulty of removing the existing iron sights varies widely depending on the gun. Some can easily be pushed out, others hardly move even when placed in a large vise and and struck with a punch and hammer... Especially if installing Tritium sights read the manufactures warranty from the sight provider. Some specify they can not be installed using a hammer and punch or the warranty is void.

Night sights are great at dawn and dusk...other than those times, their use is very limited.

Turn on a pistol mounted or hand held light, and the glow tubes get bleached out and act like regular sights.

As for 3 dot sights, sometimes competition schtuff transfers over to street use and one of those things are sights. Those in competition look for everything to get the edge over the other people...if 3 dot sights were all that, you'd find them on a competition gun, but you won't find them.
If you're in a fight and you're spending your time trying to line up the three dots...you're either dead and don't know it, or a bullet is on its way but hasn't got to you yet.

Having been a few low and no light confrontations...there's two setups that I recommend;

1. Get the brightest front sight glow tube you can find and leave the rear sight solid black. On the frame around the glow tube, paint it with the brightest color you can find, as this will help both day and night.

2. Use the best fiber optic front sight you can find. That which can take dreary daylight and make the tube glow...and do the same as above around the frame that holds it. When you use either a pistol mounted or hand held light, the tube will glow giving you a good reference point.

front sight.jpg

Thanks! Have you found if any particular color combo makes your eyes happier than others?
Trijicon HDs are great. I have both yellow front and orange front sets. For me the orange is easier to see. Some people say the yellow front is easier to see in low light, which seems to be true. Only thing with some of the Trijicons is the back sight 's top corners are a bit sharp -- maybe file them to rounded if for concealed carrry.

I don't waste my money on night sights. I prefer a WML/handheld and blacked out front and rear.

Do you find orange or green circles or other color combinations work best for you or your eyes?
currently I only have night sights on a 43x. They are the Ameriglo H3 I believe with the green tritium and an orange circle around them. very easy for me to pick up.I don't think rear sights with tritium are needed and i use blacked out sight for the rear. Like Steve at Cerberus said above, the front sight is the most crucial and at typical distances you may encounter, it will be the thing you may pick up visually. Many people in self defense shooting recount that they didn't even use their sights. Like others have mentioned, your can't go wrong with Trijicon or Ameriglo.

Night sights are great at dawn and dusk...other than those times, their use is very limited.

Turn on a pistol mounted or hand held light, and the glow tubes get bleached out and act like regular sights.

As for 3 dot sights, sometimes competition schtuff transfers over to street use and one of those things are sights. Those in competition look for everything to get the edge over the other people...if 3 dot sights were all that, you'd find them on a competition gun, but you won't find them.
If you're in a fight and you're spending your time trying to line up the three dots...you're either dead and don't know it, or a bullet is on its way but hasn't got to you yet.

Having been a few low and no light confrontations...there's two setups that I recommend;

1. Get the brightest front sight glow tube you can find and leave the rear sight solid black. On the frame around the glow tube, paint it with the brightest color you can find, as this will help both day and night.

2. Use the best fiber optic front sight you can find. That which can take dreary daylight and make the tube glow...and do the same as above around the frame that holds it. When you use either a pistol mounted or hand held light, the tube will glow giving you a good reference point.

View attachment 1491467
Why solid black on rear?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany