JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My locked up hidden pistol has a light on it. The one thing I didn't want to do was be fumbling for a light. It is just my wife and I in the house so I usually unlock the second pistol at night and leave it handy.

I tend to do the same thing - unlock the safe at night so I can quickly access my pistol if needed, then lock it up when I get up in the morning.

I have a question for people who carry your guns during the day. Can you please share if you will put your guns in a safe, leave by your bed side or still carry? Will your kids have access to them then?

When we had young kids all guns were under lock unless we were carrying. Had safe and several of those gun box lock boxes. When kids were old enough to be left alone at night they had access to one of the boxes. Now that we are empty nesters guns all over the house when we are here. We work different shifts and care for another family member so someone is here all the time. Guns are out of sight so someone coming in does not see them. Last time we had someone visit who had kids I gathered up all that were out of course. It was the first time in a while I had use for the old lock boxes which are mounted.

I forgot to mention a bit off topic but I normally leave a dim light on in the kitchen and or front room to backlight my home , so my hallway and bedroom is dark and the rest dimly lit , flash light is more for if power goes out or something along that line,

Carry gun is on me unless I'm asleep, then it's on the nightstand with a flashlight. I'm usually a 6am-12am type. Waking hours, if I'm home, the ol Maverick is loaded with 00 and resting next to the locking cabinet I keep it in.

Wife was attacked on max in June, I receive quasi regular threats through work. Not into a lack of reachable lethality. No kids, so unless cats figure out firearms, I feel okay leaving the safe unlocked if I am home.

Last Edited:
EDC on the nightstand next to bed with the LED flashlight ready to go to strobe with one click..Gun safe just has to be spun to one number to open and the selection is then open, with two loaded
( none chambered) long guns, AR and shotgun in there.

Couple of hide out guns elsewhere in the house, wife and I know where. Those get secured when the grand kids come over. Sitting here with the lap top the EDC is on the table next to my chair with the flashlight. Wife has a 9mm in her nightstand drawer, right next to panic alarm button. Immediate loud activation and alarm company notification if she presses that.

I usually have the alarm set on the home setting if we are in for the evening, got a 10 second delay on that setting. Gives the kids a chance to enter the code when they come in if visiting.

Edc usually stays with me in whatever room I'm hanging out in, then goes on the nightstand, I have younger kids so I do not keep one chambered, I'm getting a safe put in soon since the kids are getting older and may be able to physically chamber a round soon.

Edc usually stays with me in whatever room I'm hanging out in, then goes on the nightstand, I have younger kids so I do not keep one chambered, I'm getting a safe put in soon since the kids are getting older and may be able to physically chamber a round soon.

Lock boxes are GREAT for this. When ours were little there was few choices. Now there is all kinds of these and made for all kinds of guns. Great piece of mind.

I have one (sometimes two) of three EDC pistols on me everyday all day (even on me laying here on the couch ATM), then during sleep time one is in my top nightstand drawer that's left slightly open so I can see the tritium night sights in the dark, yet not be visible to someone "peeking" into my room.

When not in use under my direct control, all firearms go into one of three safes, but the purposed home defense weapons are in the safe bolted into my closet that has a red lighted dial you can see in dark. My three EDC pistols are always loaded (condition one) and kept in their respective holsters to keep the triggers secure, and the various long guns (AR rifle, four shotguns, and AR "pistol") are all "cruiser ready"... trigger pulled & hammer dropped on an empty chamber, loaded mags inserted, safeties off. Under duress they're safe to handle, yet ready to lock & load then rock & roll using only gross motor skills.

We're empty nesters and don't have little kids in the house anymore, but even if we were to have unexpected visitors with little kids we're good to go with the current SOP.

The only ones in endangered by the presence of firearms in our household are "bad guys". ;)

Last Edited:
I guess I am the minority.... I got guns everywhere.... Course I have a couple big safes full of guns as well

I just have a lot of guns.

My youngest "kid" is 23 and has his own guns to worry about.

I guess I am the minority.... I got guns everywhere.... Course I have a couple big safes full of guns as well

I just have a lot of guns.

My youngest "kid" is 23 and has his own guns to worry about.

Nah, my old man has guns everywhere. Random drawers or under pillows. You can't walk 20 feet in his house without being in reaching distance of a firearm. He has shown me the "trail" of goods, because my step-mom is super liberal and he wants me to follow the trail of breadcrumbs when the day comes.

If you've never heard this funny (scary) description RBD gone really really bad, it's worth it:

Yup - that's pretty bad.

I don't have it that bad, although I reportedly did sleepwalk as a child.

Mostly I yell - often "help!" or "call 911!" or some other something about needing help or being in distress.

But I have kicked and hit and otherwise fought dream opponents. So I am not the safest person to sleep with.

I don't recall being able to get up and do something like jumping out a window though. Most people are more or less 'paralyzed' when sleeping and can't move much, but I can. Getting up out of bed though seems beyond me - I know because I have struggled to do just that. If I ever can get up, then I would probably go see a doctor for something.

Nah, my old man has guns everywhere. Random drawers or under pillows. You can't walk 20 feet in his house without being in reaching distance of a firearm. He has shown me the "trail" of goods, because my step-mom is super liberal and he wants me to follow the trail of breadcrumbs when the day comes.

:). We have guns all over house. I showed a couple of the kids a few times. In case Mom and I were to die in an accident. Wanted them to know where to pick them all up at before anyone comes in to start packing stuff up.

EDC goes on the entertainment center when I come home. Goes with me when I leave.
Shotgun by the bed for anything serious after lights out.

As others I have them
As soon as I buy a shotlock I will have either my shotgun or AR in the house as well.

Shotlocks rock! I went with the mechanical version as I didn't want to worry about batteries. Holds my 590 just fine.

2B3A8C8A-CC50-4793-9F06-6BDFF44EAC79.jpeg

Hate to sound like a broken record but I have to agree with the majority - on the nightstand. Everything else is locked in the safe. All doors and windows are locked and the alarm system is armed for instant response.

Great question, see lots of similar answers... Therefore, mine is not much different...

My edc is on me at all times, even as I'm lying on the sofa... At bedtime, it becomes a night stand gun... Extra mag stays on the belt with the Gerber, next to the bed and the Fenix is set to 960 lumens strobe...

There are no other arms, as they were all lost in a boating accident a year or two ago... So sad...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top