JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why solid black on rear?
I recall that some people have a concern that if it is dark enough so that you can't see the sight body to reference off of it may be possible to mistake the glowing front dot for a rear dot and instead of "0O0" you get "00O" or "O00" and misalign them

Lolz, can't see what I did there? That is the concern because those are zeros and "O's" so if we add color and make them bold we get
"0O0" "00O" and "O00"

At least that is one theory

I guess what I should have asked is not having visible rear sights isn't crucial in lining up the weapon on target?
It's not crucial. Fundamentals are crucial. You line up blacked out irons the same way you would any 3 dot or tritium set of irons. I don't like busy sights which is why I prefer blacked out. They work great in the day and in the dark I'll be using a light. I personally don't like them.

The only tritium sights I ever liked were Haley Strategic 13 sights. Now those are awesome. But the tritium isn't outlined with any fancy colors. So you don't even notice they are there.

I prefer a good light whether is be a handheld or WML over night sights.

IMG_3355.jpeg

Last Edited:
I recall that some people have a concern that if it is dark enough so that you can't see the sight body to reference off of it may be possible to mistake the glowing front dot for a rear dot and instead of "0O0" you get "00O" or "O00" and misalign them

Lolz, can't see what I did there? That is the concern because those are zeros and "O's" so if we add color and make them bold we get
"0O0" "00O" and "O00"

At least that is one theory
Great explanation, thank you!

It's not crucial. Fundamentals are crucial. You line up blacked out irons the same way you would any 3 dot or tritium set of irons. I don't like busy sights which is why I prefer blacked out. They work great in the day and in the dark I'll be using a light. I personally don't like them.

The only tritium sights I ever liked were Haley Strategic 13 sights. Now those are awesome. But the tritium isn't outlined with any fancy colors. So you don't even notice they are there.

I prefer a good light whether is be a handheld or WML over night sights.

View attachment 1491565
Thanks for breaking that down, good concepts I'll keep in mind, appreciated.

Why solid black on rear?
Is easier to acquire and focus on the front sight without any distractions from the rear.

I find most people's eyes shift focus back and forth from front to rear and back trying to line up dots everywhere...huge time waster. I see that alot under time. People have a great draw, but then there's a hesitation before the shot is fired...they're refining the sight alignment...if you're doing your practice as you should, that should already be in place...second nature or muscle memory if you will.

The eyes naturally go for and focus on the front sight.

Even in low/no light, am able to pick up the rear notch and get ta movin'. But if your natural point of aim, and your practice includes drawing so that the pistol is level as it's heading for full extension, you're ahead of the game.

Lastly, I don't work off theory. The only way you're going to know what works for you is go out in low/no light and practice. If you can't find a place, come up to my range and I'll work with you and show you the difference of theory vs reality on the range and in my shoot house.

There's a vast difference between pure dark, like out in the woods vs city with street and house lights vs being in a building where light umbrellas and reflects off of surfaces.

Is easier to acquire and focus on the front sight without any distractions from the rear.

I find most people's eyes shift focus back and forth from front to rear and back trying to line up dots everywhere...huge time waster. I see that alot under time. People have a great draw, but then there's a hesitation before the shot is fired...they're refining the sight alignment...if you're doing your practice as you should, that should already be in place...second nature or muscle memory if you will.

The eyes naturally go for and focus on the front sight.

Even in low/no light, am able to pick up the rear notch and get ta movin'. But if your natural point of aim, and your practice includes drawing so that the pistol is level as it's heading for full extension, you're ahead of the game.

Lastly, I don't work off theory. The only way you're going to know what works for you is go out in low/no light and practice. If you can't find a place, come up to my range and I'll work with you and show you the difference of theory vs reality on the range and in my shoot house.

There's a vast difference between pure dark, like out in the woods vs city with street and house lights vs being in a building where light umbrellas and reflects off of surfaces.
Very helpful, thank you! I will look up your range, I am always up for improving my method, and unfortunately the ability to train with different circumstances seems scarce to find, in my area at least.

I learned to shoot with 3 dot sights and this is what I prefer. All the other rear sight shape options are just distracting and something that I will change out if I really like a pistol.

I have one pistol with TruGlo tritium / fiber sights and love the sights. 99% of the time I am shooting in daylight and the fiber 3 dots are so much easier than the old painted on 3 dots especially as my eyes get older! The TruGlo were on sale so they cost the same as fiber sights without a tritium vial. I doubt I will ever use the tritium night sight feature but it is there if I need it. I would not give up the outstanding usefulness of fiber sights to get non-fiber tritium sights.

For the most part 3 dot fiber sights are fine for what I do. The half circle and front dot on my Hellcat is the one non-three dot sight that I have really grown to appreciate.

I really don't like an all black rear sight. It takes me much longer to line up a short with and all black rear sight.

Last Edited:
Understand that fiber optic sights are not night sights. Night sights utilize tritium so that the sights glow on their own (without first being hit with a light source). I'm not quite sure what you mean by "T" sights.

As for night sights specifically, there are many different makers. Sticking with a quality, know mfg is recommended. And there are several.

I'm also generally a fan of a blacked out rear sight because it's less busy and you know that whatever is glowing is the front sight post. Alternatively, I also like a green front sight post and yellow rear sight. Yellow is usually dimmer than green. This configuration is a bit busier than the blacked out rear but there is no mistaking which is the front sight post and which is the rear.

Lately, however, I am all about red dots. It's a better option IMO for my aging eyes. The other thing with night sights is that the only time they really work IMO is when it's very dark...too dark to be able to identify the threat. You're going to need a light to do that and once the light comes on, the benefits of the tritium are pretty minimal...if any at all IMO. Personally, I'd rather put the money toward a red dot...but I really like red dots. But I would never run tritium with a red dot. That's just way too much glowing. YMMV.

Understand that fiber optic sights are not night sights. Night sights utilize tritium so that the sights glow on their own (without first being hit with a light source). I'm not quite sure what you mean by "T" sights.

As for night sights specifically, there are many different makers. Sticking with a quality, know mfg is recommended. And there are several.

I'm also generally a fan of a blacked out rear sight because it's less busy and you know that whatever is glowing is the front sight post. Alternatively, I also like a green front sight post and yellow rear sight. Yellow is usually dimmer than green. This configuration is a bit busier than the blacked out rear but there is no mistaking which is the front sight post and which is the rear.

Lately, however, I am all about red dots. It's a better option IMO for my aging eyes. The other thing with night sights is that the only time they really work IMO is when it's very dark...too dark to be able to identify the threat. You're going to need a light to do that and once the light comes on, the benefits of the tritium are pretty minimal...if any at all IMO. Personally, I'd rather put the money toward a red dot...but I really like red dots. But I would never run tritium with a red dot. That's just way too much glowing. YMMV.
"T" meant tritium, I just didn't have the word on hand and didn't want to do a Google search at the time of writing. Thanks for your input!

Whatever you choose, it is a good idea to practice constantly: day, dusk and dark with them. We lose when we draw from the drop, but once drawn and waiting your turn, sight acquisition must be natural and quick. THis comes from plain old repetition. Many like the Heinie "Straight 8" sights, with front dot atop rear dot. Simpler, with less visual business going on. Not currently possible but a tritium white outline rear and bright front are unmistakable to Smith shooters. As to dots, it would be fragile, but I would like a borderless red dot. The frame is distracting and potentially obscures side targets in quick use. Money back guarantee on opinions.

I researched night sights and it seems there's about 44,000 different variations between $80 and $120.

What type (Fiber optic, T, combo, other I'm not aware of) do you use / recommend, if at all?

Is it best to take these to a gun smith for proper switching out / zeroing, assuming one is starting from zero previous experience?

TIA🥃
I guess I should also ask: I am running a gun light / laser combo, AND I have a discrete off gun law enforcement grade flashlight on me whenever I leave the house. Do I even need to switch out the factory sights, or would I just be wasting my money, or worse, working against myself if I can always generate my own light?

Am I creating a new problem for one I've already mitigated?

I have some cheaper sights that are only black/no dots on the rear site. The rear sight isn't serrated, so if the light hits them just right, there's a slight glare. Make sure you either buy rear sights that are serrated, or if not, scuff them up to get rid of the glare.

I guess I should also ask: I am running a gun light / laser combo, AND I have a discrete off gun law enforcement grade flashlight on me whenever I leave the house. Do I even need to switch out the factory sights, or would I just be wasting my money, or worse, working against myself if I can always generate my own light?

Am I creating a new problem for one I've already mitigated?
Training is more important than special sights. Get used to using your handheld as well as you WML.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top