JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Sub2000 Gen2 in 40S&W. I know everybody touts that carbines get at least a modest increase in velocity. My experience, however, is that there was absolutely NO increase in velocity for Federal HST 180gr from a G22 to the Sub2K. Same velocity.

Bummer...big bummer.

10mm D-max carbine made in Auburn Washington

d-max006.jpg
d-max002.jpg

Looks like something you'd see in a science fiction movie. Be interesting to shoot.
I've never owned one but I have shot one. It was more comfortable than it looks. Kind of loud, but very light recoil. I remember that follow-up shots were so easy I was concerned about shooting the whole magazine (I was invited to shoot a "few rounds") because it was so fun. That probably means little muzzle rise and a good trigger, but I don't recall specifically. Very neat gun and I would probably have one if the ammo were cheaper.

I have a Sub2000 Gen2 in 40S&W. I know everybody touts that carbines get at least a modest increase in velocity. My experience, however, is that there was absolutely NO increase in velocity for Federal HST 180gr from a G22 to the Sub2K. Same velocity.

Bummer...big bummer.
That doesnt seem right :confused: have not chrono'd my 995 Classic versus the P85 for 9mm yet, but it seems able to push the 9mm rounds out further than the handgun does.

Thanx... more to come........:rolleyes:

LOL, sound like me. I fell real hard for PCC's. Now that the BATF has backed off on the Braces I am tempted to get a TNW ASR Pistol. they use an AR Buffer tube so the brace made for the AR's would be perfect for one. Not to mention they use the same barrels as the PCC's I have from them. Can buy another barrel to make it any length I want. Maybe one of these in 10MM. The wish list keeps growing here. :D

That doesnt seem right :confused: have not chrono'd my 995 Classic versus the P85 for 9mm yet, but it seems able to push the 9mm rounds out further than the handgun does.

I don't have a .40 pistol any more to compare with my .40 PCC. I know in my 9mm and .45 PCC's there is a VERY noticeable difference in range drop. Don't have a Chrono to check but multiple sites "claim" there is in both. Glanced at a couple of them on the .40. They all were claiming the same round in .40 was around 200FPS faster in a 16" tube compared to a 4inch tube. They could of course all be making it up but several sites are claiming the same thing.

Glanced at a couple of them on the .40. They all were claiming the same round in .40 was around 200FPS faster in a 16" tube compared to a 4inch tube. They could of course all be making it up but several sites are claiming the same thing.
What about from 5.43"/138mm Glock G22 barrel? Could be that 1.4" makes up some of the difference or possibly the Fed HST 180gr is relatively downloaded for the caliber and barrel length?

What about from 5.43"/138mm Glock G22 barrel? Could be that 1.4" makes up some of the difference or possibly the Fed HST 180gr is relatively downloaded for the caliber and barrel length?

There are a few sites that list the velocity by the inch. Claiming they tested a barrel cut inch by inch. Some showing several kinds of ammo or bullets. Could they all be wrong? Of course. This is the net and anyone can put up a site and say anything. Only way to know for sure of course would be to buy a Chrono to play with. Not something I have much interest in although like all "tech" the damn things have come down in price to the point that they are easy to buy.

According to Ballistics By the Inch seems for a PCC the best performing round was a 135gr HST Low recoil round with 1400fps speed from a 16" Ruger PC4 in their real world test.. and the 180gr speer gold dot short barrel had 1143 at 16" versus 1053 at 5" (90 fps faster....)

Comparatively seems the 9mm and the .45ACP both registered massive differences going from 5in to 16in on average... and then theres the .45 Super that might be workable in something as beefy as a Hi Point carbine that does amazing speeds versus the standard acp round..

@CHLChris ; I posted a related question on another forum thats populated by reloaders and handloaders... seems its more to do with the specific cartridge you used. The Fed HST 180GR is optimized for short 3-4" barrels with a fast burn powder charge thats smaller than normal. Maybe you should try Fmj and in sizes of 135gr to 150gr and see if they chrono higher than from the relatively long barrel of the Glock?

Could be the round. Or it could be a combination of the action of the Sub2000, its chamber, and the barrel. I'm suggesting that it is possible that the barrel is (just guessing here) a thousandths bigger, or maybe the blowback design is releasing lock-up a hair earlier than would be needed to maximize the round. Who knows? But, theoretically, all SD factory ammo is "optimized" for pistol barrels with faster powder. Unfortunately, BBTI didn't use the Sub2000 in its testing. I was just disappointed that my carbine wasn't getting THAT benefit.

I dont see how the sub2k would have that much difference from the Ruger PC4 in terms of action.. theyre both mass-delayed blowback. Between the sub2k and the hi point 4095ts I can see... due to the hi point having a massive heavy bolt. Perhaps you should look into hand loading carbine rounds? Use something like Semi-wadcutter design bullets and slower burn powder lile Longshot and Blue Dot for the .40 S&W? If you're into handloading/reloading. On the other hand... having nearly the same performance between the two could mean you know exactly how the ammo will perform in either gun and can set up the same optimal distances/zero ranges to use to both guns..?

@CHLChris ; I posted a related question on another forum thats populated by reloaders and handloaders... seems its more to do with the specific cartridge you used. The Fed HST 180GR is optimized for short 3-4" barrels with a fast burn powder charge thats smaller than normal. Maybe you should try Fmj and in sizes of 135gr to 150gr and see if they chrono higher than from the relatively long barrel of the Glock?
This is, in my mind, the most plausible explanation that I've read here so far.

I love my Aunt Ordnance Thompson M1A1 in .45ACP.

Nice. I'll admit, I'm very tempted by <broken link removed>. Have you had any issues with yours?

Thinking of turning my MKE MP5K into a SBR.

That would be a lot of fun in a small package. :D

10mm D-max carbine made in Auburn Washington

View attachment 361822
View attachment 361823

I remember those from back in the day. Such a nice looking carbine and chambered for a thumper of a cartridge. :)

TNW ASR's, High Point Carbine. The HP are the bargain budget job on these. They are of course not perfect, but for what you pay you get a VERY nice gun. If you want to spend a lot KRISS, of course very nice PCC but expensive, The Just Right, newer addition to the PCC market. Look like they took a lot from the ASR, nice looking set up mid price. These are all common and easy to find. Lots of older and no longer made ones too of course. If you want to turn a pistol into a carbine the Mech-Tech is a LOT of fun.

Get the kit and you get interchangeable barrels in 9mm, 45cal, and 10mm

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR