JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that muzzle brakes work and can be very helpful in larger recoiling calibers for followup shots.
Are they worth it in lighter recoiling calibers like 223, 6mm, some 6.5 calibers?

Everything has a little bit of a kick but would one turn a lighter caliber into feeling closer to like nothing at all?

1703986153875.jpeg

Last Edited:
I know that muzzle brakes work and can be very helpful in larger recoiling calibers for followup shots.
Are they worth it in lighter recoiling calibers like 223, 6mm, some 6.5 calibers?

Everything has a little bit of a kick but would one turn a lighter caliber into feeling closer to like nothing at all?

View attachment 1791901
For rapid fire they are. A decent muzzle brake is going to provide somewhere around a 50% reduction... but... single precision shots... I don't really think it's that big of a benefit to warrant the cost and, personally, rarely ever go with anything other than just a flash suppressor.

It really just depends on how you plan to use it.

I mean... 50% of barely nuthin(??). I rather put money into a decent spring and buffer that's going mitigate recoil to a degree... as well as prolong the life of my firearm components.... over the inflated cost of a muzzle break that actually works. YMMV

It really just depends on how you plan to use it.

I mean... 50% of barely nuthin(??). I rather put money into a decent spring and buffer over the inflated cost of a muzzle break that actually works. YMMV
For me primarily hunting, occasionally target shooting.
50% is quite a bit regardless of light recoil...

The only reason I got a 223 barrel with a muzzle brake…it was the cheapest barrel I found. Since I wear hearing protection when I shoot, the muzzle blast doesn't bother me. Can't say the same about everyone around me though.
14" barrel, recoil wise, not much difference.

IMG_2759.jpeg

Last Edited:
Just my .02 but shooting 6mm 108 and lighter I use a Suppressor, I don't like the noise and even hunting I believe it is more civil (I get disability for Tinnitus now from the Army for shooting the M16 out of our vehicles in Iraq). I would recommend a comp shooting a 6.5 with a 147 or so ...The power and recoil is much more.

Like Yarome above said, in like an AR 15 in 223 or 6 ARC the comp can help keep the muzzle down for follow up shots if shooting rapid fire. In my bolt gun the 223 round even with 77s I still would use a suppressor instead even though the suppressor doesn't really help with recoil management.

Some of this advise is taking into consideration that my 223s and 6mm Creedmoor rifles are comp rifles and weigh about 17 #s....the weight of the rifle has to be taken into consideration as the extra weight helps control the recoil.

Scott
aka Busyhawk

For me primarily hunting, occasionally target shooting.
50% is quite a bit regardless of light recoil...
True. It can be significant, but it also comes at a cost. There are a lot on the market, and can be fairly cheap, but one that is actually effective is likely going to run in the $100-$150 range. Something like the PA hypertap will set you back closer to $200.

On the flip side you can fine tune your rifle with a decent spring and buffer and then you're only talking more in the $40-$50 range with the additional benefit of less wear and tear on your components. A "more bang for your buck" kinda thing, IMHO.

An adjustable gas block could also be used to aide in toning down felt recoil, but there is only "so much" adjustment you can get out of it and still maintain reliability "across the board" (ammo typea, ambient conditions, etc.)

It's really a personal preference, but for single shot precision shooting I find it difficult to justify the cost to benefit. YMMV

For rapid fire or full auto then I think it would be more of a "must have" and well justified.

Last Edited:

View attachment 1791901
My spotter loves it when I use a can. He sometimes looks at me and asks "did you shoot" or "was that you" to which I reply "you misses the firing pin drop?"

(6BR thru a 300Mag rated can)

Note: at this time Im not looking for a silencer. I also dont rapid fire and dont have full auto. Im just curious on the effectiveness of brakes on lighter calibers specifically 223 and 6.5Grendel.

True. It can be significant, but it also comes at a cost. There are a lot on the market, and can be fairly cheap, but one that is actually effective is likely going to run in the $100-$150 range. Something like the PA hypertap will set you back closer to $200.
Not really worried about cost as long as its under $200. I was looking at the American Precision Arms brakes starting at $120, but those PA Hypertraps look good too. PA says their Hypertrap reduces up to 84% recoil thats really good. I guess I will have to start paying attention to my muzzle rise next range session to see if this is worth investing in. Appreciate the tip on the PA Hypertrap...

It's all about the pressure and the volume of gas created. A well designed brake supplied lots of high pressure gas works great. Small, low pressure cartridges see less benefit.

I think yes but YMMV.

Stock shape is a physical factor as well as noise affects perception of recoil.
I doubt you would see that dramatic a difference.
yeah, I admit thats probably an unrealistic comparison. For reference I don't think a 223 kicks much, nor my Grendel. But there is a recoil so I'm mostly curious if a brake would be noticeable reduction to keep the scope on target for followup shot if needed.
Sounds like the only way to know is just get one. If I decide it wasn't worth it I'm out $150 bucks but its not hurting anything either. Probably should try one on the Grendel first.

yeah, I admit thats probably an unrealistic comparison. For reference I don't think a 223 kicks much, nor my Grendel. But there is a recoil so I'm mostly curious if a brake would be noticeable reduction to keep the scope on target for followup shot if needed.
Sounds like the only way to know is just get one. If I decide it wasn't worth it I'm out $150 bucks but its not hurting anything either. Probably should try one on the Grendel first.
I have a Holland brake on my Grendel and it's a pop gun. But it's also heavy and long.
I'd agree, much of this discussion is not real scientific to us mere mortals without lots of test gear.
Good luck.

Not really worried about cost as long as its under $200. I was looking at the American Precision Arms brakes starting at $120, but those PA Hypertraps look good too. PA says their Hypertrap reduces up to 84% recoil thats really good. I guess I will have to start paying attention to my muzzle rise next range session to see if this is worth investing in. Appreciate the tip on the PA Hypertrap...
Probably a little media hype in that 84% figure, but they are well known to be one of the best on the market for highest felt recoil dampening and lowest to no concussion. One nice feature with them too is the ports are parallel and only partially drilled... allowing you to adjust Lt/Rt gas expulsion and barrel rise custom to your rifle.

I don't own one, but I was able to run a few mags with one and helped a buddy drill out his ports for fine tuning. Pretty sweet brake and would be right at the top of my short list.

One nice feature with them too is the ports are parallel and only partially drilled... allowing you adjust Lt/Rt gas expulsion and barrel rise custom to your rifle.
Options are a good thing. I was also looking at the American Precision Arms Gen3 brakes use set screws to fine tune barrel rise and thats a tempting idea there.

Years ago I had a Grendel SRT chambered in 22-250, had a very heavy 26" barrel with an easily removed brake. At the range I would usually remove the brake as a curtesy to other shooters.
One day at the Issaquah range with just my wife and myself there a guy shows up, sets up two bench's down and proceeds to start shooting a 300 win mag,
So... I screw on my break tell my wife to cover up and touch off a round.
Guy proceeded to move down to the other end of the range leaving us in peace.:s0094:

So... can brakes be worth it on small bores? From my perspective hell ya.

From a perspective of shooting the rifle that thing almost pulled the rifle away from my shoulder. :cool:

I was fortunate and someone offered up for a song, brakes for 6.5 and 6.8. So I have one on my Grendel and SPC-II AR15s.
Yes, I do notice the difference between shooting them with vs without.
For one thing, "with", you never lose your sight picture. Without, there is a discernible muzzle rise, though not much, that obscures the target.
What I did not notice was any increase in muzzle blast sound which brakes so often exacerbate.

Options are a good thing. I was also looking at the American Precision Arms Gen3 brakes use set screws to fine tune barrel rise and thats a tempting idea there.

I've never shot that one, but just using a bit of google-fu and some reviews over the last while... it looks pretty good. Most info is on the lil and some on the Big B, which both seems to be geared toward larger calibers, but they have a micro version.

There may be more port adjustability on the lil bast*rd, but it's also about 1.4oz heavier than the hypertap (4.4 vs. 3). That makes me wonder more how the micro would compare, but there isn't much review info on it.

In testing the lil was pushing over 60% and has very low movement scores, which were pretty impressive. Certainly cheaper and worth considering, IMHO.

Sure would be nice to find someone with one and run a mag or so, hu.

I was fortunate and someone offered up for a song, brakes for 6.5 and 6.8. So I have one on my Grendel and SPC-II AR15s.
Yes, I do notice the difference between shooting them with vs without.
For one thing, "with", you never lose your sight picture. Without, there is a discernible muzzle rise, though not much, that obscures the target.
What I did not notice was any increase in muzzle blast sound which brakes so often exacerbate.
If you never lose your sight picture then its worth it. One of the reasons Ive never tried one was the noise... maybe in the smaller calibers the muzzle blast isnt as much of a factor?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top