JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sure would be nice to find someone with one and run a mag or so, hu.
Virtually impossible to find someone who has exactly what Im interested in that will take the time to let a stranger try. Im used to that, in no hurry... take my time shopping reading on line and generally accept the risk of not liking something now and then.
I dont think a brake would be a risky purchase though, general consensus is they do work well in all calibers.

Virtually impossible to find someone who has exactly what Im interested in that will take the time to let a stranger try. Im used to that, in no hurry... take my time shopping reading on line and generally accept the risk of not liking something now and then.
I dont think a brake would be a risky purchase though, general consensus is they do work well in all calibers.
Believe as you wish.... https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

I've posted this before, he it is again. This website has a pretty good set of tests on various muzzle brakes and their reduction in recoil

One of the reasons Ive never tried one was the noise... maybe in the smaller calibers the muzzle blast isnt as much of a factor?
I am usually doubled-up on hearing protection. Plugs and electronic muffs. Add to that, I have 20% hearing loss, as diagnosed by an audiologist.
Sound is relative to individuals. Also consider, the rifle report is an inverse log of barrel length.
If you're in the Portland area, you're welcome to try mine. They're not hard to remove and re-install....

I am usually doubled-up on hearing protection. Plugs and electronic muffs. Add to that, I have 20% hearing loss, as diagnosed by an audiologist.
Sound is relative to individuals. Also consider, the rifle report is an inverse log of barrel length.
If you're in the Portland area, you're welcome to try mine. They're not hard to remove and re-install....
I haven't been diagnosed but its pretty evident I have hearing loss, so rifle report is a factor for me when hunting where I cant wear ear pro, typically 1 or 2 shots in open woods is fine but I know it does damage... also I'm not a very good hunter so I often dont shoot at all... lol :p.
I'm thankful for the generous offer on trying, what brand is yours? It could be one I just end up impulse buying.

Some good general principle take-aways there.
I've posted this before, he it is again. This website has a pretty good set of tests on various muzzle brakes and their reduction in recoil
The only real issue with these old comparison standby's is that they are both nearly 10yr old product comparisons. Some you can't even get anymore and others have seen significant alterations and new iterations of those original designs.

Not to mention the bevy of new product introductions and features over the past decade. ;)

Just sayin....

Some good general principle take-aways there.

The only real issue with these old comparison standby's is that they are both nearly 10yr old product comparisons. Some you can't even get anymore and others have seen significant alterations and new iterations of those original designs.

Not to mention the bevy of new product introductions and features over the past decade. ;)

Just sayin....
1704034287265.png
You calling me out of touch you whippersnapper??

Heres a good video comparing 2 different types of brakes compared to no brake.

Id like to fine one for smaller calibers but it does a great job showing how much recoil is reduced. My guess is the reduction is consistent regardless of power/caliber.

Also from this, dont get a radial brake. Im sure that will stir the pot a bit for those who like them but at least in this video the radial recoil was almost twice the linear recoil.

On 9mm a good comp works no question. (And "good" does not mean expensive, it means it does its job well). I have also tried one that actually increased recoil (supposed to decrease it). So it depends on the comp. Fan compensator works great for 9mm.

442499D0-9F69-441E-8175-7E6EEDA8B74E.jpeg

I have some aero precision ones for .223 but have never installed them. Vr6 gamma or some such they are called. No idea if they work.

12 gauge is night and day difference with a good comp (70% reduction overall). I wouldn't buy a tactical shotgun without a threaded barrel that's how well they work. There is just no comparison.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top