JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've carried and qualified with a few different 762/308 platforms. HKG3 (Heavy), AR10 (finicky), and the M1a Scout. Hands down my favorite semi automatic rifle is the Scout, and it is what I am most accurate with. I shot the Socom and that 16" barrel makes what comes out of the muzzle nothing less than obnoxious Although the CQB looks like fun!). Something about that extra 2" with the Scout makes all the difference in the world. Even thinking about picking another one up.

Well it would still be tough to pass an AWB,

I'm not talking about at the national level. I was specifically talking about Oregon, because the OP lives here in Oregon. Republicans would have to lose both the Senate and House for it to happen nationally. I think that the odds are still slim of that ever happening. But God only knows how this year's election will turn out. It is not as crazy as the election of 1860 was, but it really has turned into quite an insane spectacle. How it will all end in November, God only knows. But I do fear something bad is coming.

I don't keep track of what is going on in the state of Washington. I've not heard of anything serious there. But there are a lot of people in key positions in Salem who want an Assault Weapons ban in Oregon. If the Democrats just gain a couple more seats in the Oregon state legislature in November, I'm certain that a bill will be introduced next year.

Ceasefire Oregon sponsored a very draconian bill 3 years ago, but the Oregon Senate leadership let it die in committee without ever holding any hearings, because they knew that they did not have the votes to get it past. That bill would not only have banned all new sales and transfers, and required registration of guns currently owned, but it also limited citizens to only owning a max of two "Assault Weapon" class firearms, and a max of three high capacity mags for each gun. Anything more would be considered to be an illegal arsenal.

There are a lot of people in Oregon who really hate guns. And they have really been winning recently. I think that Oregonian gun owners have to accept the fact that we are outnumbered and beaten, and that our state will become like California within 10 years.

Last Edited:
Well then people will just have to learn to disobey the law. An armed man cannot be disarmed without his cooperation.

Don't worry, when the economy crashes and the revolution starts, all gun control laws go away.

someone mentioned the FNAR... I knew descendents of the m1918 were around like the modern BAR hunting rifles

The modern BAR has nothing to do with the M1918 except the name, AFAIK.

I like the M1A too, but mine is only a 3 MOA gun. They also are a bear to bed and the bedding is fragile. The AR-15 is inherently more accurate, which I believe is why it took over in High Power competition. I'm guessing (but don't really know) that also is true of the AR-10 family.

And with droves of commifornians moving in more lack of common sense guns laws will probably be coming.

As I watch TV I'm seeing all these ads for oregon politicians and they are all boasting that they helped pushed universal BGCs.

Which has done wonders for crime here of course.

Well, I meant the Browning BAR hunting rifles, just as the quote said. Those HCARs are fine if you can afford 'em. :)

I have a friend who moved from California to Wyoming. First thing she did, was shoot holes in her California license plate, and hang it on the front of her house. :)

Folks you have provided some valuable insight to an ingoramus like me, thank you thank you.
I'm looking for an AR platform for versatility in a worse case SHTF scenario but someone mentioned the FNAR... I knew descendents of the m1918 were around like the modern BAR hunting rifles and knew there was a military/LE platform but I guess I didn't know it by that name. I may have to investigate that avenue a little more...

For SHTF, I wouldn't choose a rifle that's a bit more tedious to disassemble. To each their own though.

The M-1A Scout sounds appealing. Two of you folks in this thread have recommended the M-1A. I need to learn more about these. Care to add any more info on them? Reliability is extremely important to me. Are the M-1As about as reliable as a self-loading rifle gets?

Not sure it's quite what you're looking for as I wouldnt call it a "battle rifle" and it's certainly not cheap; but I have a custom built AR-10 called the GAP-10 built by GA Precision out of Kansas City. It's a long range precison rifle that will easily hold 1/2-MOA out to 1K. After adding the optics, bi-pod, can, etc. it ran me close to $8,000 but it's certainly one of my dream rifles.

image.jpeg

Hands down the best and most proven auto loading rifles available to us are the M1A and the FN/FAL! The AR10 Platform has come a very long way since it was first brought out to the shooting public. My M1A and FAL have nether had any problems, have always shot sub moa and feed any thing I an force in to them! While not light weight, both are well balanced, very easy to care for and clean and they both run fairly clean any way! Unless you really want an AR platform ( and I am not saying they are not good) I would go M1A first then FAL,

Are they equal to, or more reliable than the AR10s out there?
You might have just opened up a can of worms, where arguments will be based on nostalgia, anecdotal evidence, or internet myths.

I will be straight forward that outside of mud (and no one will jump in mud rifle first anyways) and a sandstorm (another moot point tbh) its pretty much the same. The M1A will, however, be cheaper than a fair number of good .308 ARs/AR-10s.

But once, cry once.

For your general battle rifle (1-2 MOA), one of these will do you very well;
LMT MWS
LaRue
SCAR-17
FNAR (I've never shot one, but pretty much anything FN makes is GTG)

If you want precision (sub MOA);
GAP-10
LaRue

I love M1As but everything accessory costs an arm and a leg. Mags, scope mounts, stocks, etc.

You can build a great AR10 for around the price of an M1A if not cheaper (most likely) and mags are only $20.
And completely tailored to what you want/like.

I was debating whether to pull the trigger on and upper and lower from Palmetto state, once I finally decided they were sold out! Dang it!
Early bird I guess.

I am, and always will be partial to the FN FAL. It just always works! Its a personal thing for me with the AR "platform" and 7.62...yes it works, and some of them work well. But I am just drawn back to the FN. I remember my first 20 rd mag at the 600 yard steel gong, with iron sights...Those 19 gongs still ring out in my head! And my buddy that was sitting there with his scoped, Rem 700 in 300 RUM about bubblegum himself!

Fn.jpg

I feel funny now. I used the word platform and wasn't talking about painting the house or getting up into my 4X4 monster truck...

Gotta say, A huge fan of the FAL! On the worst day of your life, that's one of the rifle's falleft.jpg you should have in your hands! Its a real toss up which rifle actually shoots better M1A or FAL, Depends on what I ate for breakfast!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top