JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Piston vs gas and why

Gas because it can be built lighter I know we are only talking about ounces but those ounces add up. The problems with the DI system have long been resolved and the piston system on an AR is solution to a problem that was solved 30 something years ago. but if you like what you read about pistons keeping the carbon out of the receiver then go for it . You'll still have to clean it but just a different place.

Weight is an issue to me, I don't want a 10lb+ battle rifle. Look into the lightweight version of the DMPS G2 or clones of it. DMPS really made some obvious breakthroughs that I myself had always wondered why no one did this years ago and that was to shorted the receiver and the bolt carrier there did other things as well with the barrel extension reducing the weight and center of gravity to make it fill a lot lighter I think they only shaved off about a lb but a lb when being packed over a shoulder or extended out is quite noticeable . going with the lightweight barrel and carbon fiber float tube will also drop the weight quite a bit and make for a very comfortable shooter.

Price is a factor but not a deal breaker . You can spend a ton of money on something that can do the same thing for half the price . if you feel you want more accuracy spend more money on a better barrel.

Ability to accept cheap and a variety of magazines . mags are gonna cost you around $20 give or take what ever platform you go unless you get one of those CMMG ones that takes the $4 G3 mags .

Must be able to fire/cycle/feed both 7.62 NATO and .308 Win. I think all the platforms do both unless you are looking at a match grade barrel that specifies one over the other

Is there anything else I need to know before taking the plunge?

I have read that dams had a bad run of extractors and the .308 is rough on them so probably a good idea to keep a spare just in case.
The M&P 10 is totally ambidextrous, weighs in a 7.8 pounds empty and will take the 12 dollar 25 round pmags. It has a decent trigger, great customer service from a legendary gun maker and is compatible across the board as far as the 308 platform goes. The street price is right @ 1200 bucks. I cannot complain about any of my S&W products and I have more than a couple fwiw.

Autos always need to be broken in a lot more than a bolt or lever gun will. It was a bit of trial and error getting the 308 to hold moa of paper plate for about the first 300 rounds or so but now it has settled down to sub moa @ 100 and I can get sub moa @ 400 on a good day when all the stars align. Helps to have a Zeiss with the rapid z reticle. Good glass, find the ammo or load it likes, a trigger job helps and just about any rifle will give you decent accuracy enough for hunting situations if it is not a lemon or the barrel is shot out..
My buddy has a Zeiss on his 300. Its prety nice. I just have the redfeild with the 308 caps. Not bad for the money.
Yep. Mine had some ejector issues when new also, but all the bugs got worked out by just shootin:D

The M&P looks like it needs a lot of upgrades, sure it's $1200, but after a new stock, and hanguard your down another $300-$600
That is up to the individual. I shoot mine stock and use the sling as a pistol grip. The 223 has all the goodies on it and I don't want to weigh down the 308 more than I have too. What sets the Smith apart from the others is the 5r rifling in the barrel.

Last Edited:
This is my favorite (and ultimate) .308 AR.... Galil.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

:D

Piston will keep the gun cleaner longer then Gas.
It moves where the carbon and stuff goes. Doesn't keep it clean longer, just keeps most of it away from the BCG.

Has anyone on here shot the heck out of thier AR10 without any issues?
Absolutely not, running out of ammo at the range is indeed an issue.

So what's the advantage to gas? Reliability?
Lighter, easier to find parts for. Some say accuracy but in the practicality sense its a moot point. Not often you see an AR pull off better than half MOA. There's also the issue of carrier tilt with piston ARs. Most manufacturers mitigate the issue so it's almost a non-issue really.

As for the OP. Get a .308 AR that accepts SR-25 magazines. They aren't as cheap as AR-15 magazines, but they're available and work.

You'll want one with a .308 chamber, but really even a 7.62 NATO chamber can work with some .308. You won't find a lot of proof of damages caused by a .308 in a 7.62 NATO chamber. In theory it may do something, in practice it hasn't done much so far if any at all. Beyond damages to brass anyways.

Weight, some piston ARs are lighter than some DI ones. My PWS was 8 lbs and 9 oz, vs a LMT MWS that was almost 10 pounds.

As for my favorite, I go with PWS. Its chambered for 7.62 NATO, but I've used some .308 without issue so far. Where it makes a big difference is if you reload. The 7.62 NATO chamber is longer, so stretching is likely to occur. There's more to it, but as long as you don't go too heavy it won't be too much of an issue.

.308 brass is thinner than 7.62 NATO brass.

Folks you have provided some valuable insight to an ingoramus like me, thank you thank you.
I'm looking for an AR platform for versatility in a worse case SHTF scenario but someone mentioned the FNAR... I knew descendents of the m1918 were around like the modern BAR hunting rifles and knew there was a military/LE platform but I guess I didn't know it by that name. I may have to investigate that avenue a little more...

Folks you have provided some valuable insight to an ingoramus like me, thank you thank you.
I'm looking for an AR platform for versatility in a worse case SHTF scenario but someone mentioned the FNAR... I knew descendents of the m1918 were around like the modern BAR hunting rifles and knew there was a military/LE platform but I guess I didn't know it by that name. I may have to investigate that avenue a little more...

If you want versatility, then I would say stay away from the FNAR. It is too proprietary. Compared to an AR, it is like night and day in that regard.

With an AR, you will have nearly an unlimited selection of options to customize and/or enhance the rifle exactly how you would like it. Lots of different styles of stocks and handguards, so many different types of barrels regarding length, configuration, and composition. Countless nice trigger options to put in too.

Plus with an AR you could get extra upper(s) down the road, and eventually have a rifle with additional caliber options. .243 Win, 260 Remington, and 7mm-08 are all available, as well as the new 6.5 Creedmoor. .243 is a great varmint hunting caliber, and 6.5 Creedmoor is awesome for long range target shooting or medium game hunting.

Besides, there is a very excellent chance that Oregon's legislature will ban new "Assault Weapons" and high capacity magazine sales next year, and also outlaw their transfer or resale to others. So this may very well be the last full year to be able to buy such rifles and magazines here in Oregon.

You had best buy something in the next 6 months. Don't wait until after this year's election. That would be my advice. Figure out what you want soon, and buy it in the next 180 days.

Well it would still be tough to pass an AWB, but the panic buying would send the prices through the roof.
Your $1400 AR10 will be $3k all day. And forget buying mags.

That's the only reason I'm wanting to buy one soon.

I'm looking at either a DPMS or Rock River.
I want a Mega, but I would build one and even though I've build a few AR15s I know the AR10 is different and like to buy one complete learn what's different then take on a build.
I want to do the same with an AR9, but that may not happen.

Like traditional, no break in BS, reliable, high level of accuracy? Get an M-1A! They're not all that heavy and they're very well balanced.
And now, back to the black rifle thread!:)

Last Edited:
You can get a complete basic lower, and complete upper (just upper, no barrel assy or handguard)
For about $420.

I have them added to a cart and keep looking at my wife wondering how made she'll get.......if she finds out....

You can get a complete basic lower, and complete upper (just upper, no barrel assy or handguard)
For about $420.

I have them added to a cart and keep looking at my wife wondering how made she'll get.......if she finds out....

Here is how you do a wife work around. You have two gun cases with one empty, tell the wife "honey I a going shooting" and then drive to the ffl and fill the empty gun case, stop and take a few shots someplace so it is not a lie and when or if she sees you have an "extra" gun you can say "Oh, that old thing. I have had it awhile now. I am sure I told you about it."

My wife used to work later then me so I always had plenty of time to sneak stuff in.
One day I got a new safe in the garage and had to bring all my guns from the bedroom closet down.
After the 4th trip she got suspicious.
Started asking too many questions I couldn't truthfully answer.

I just said, well you and the kids are safe arenmt you?!
LOL

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top