JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you. I am also getting un-fired rounds. Slight dimple on the primer, but not firing. So many things not going right, it's very frustrating. But then I go back to the Hornady Match and it does fine. JP provides a significant amount of information on loading for their guns, much of which is over my head at this point.
There is no need for them to "provide a significant amount of information on loading there guns"
That's just stupid. If they need to tell you how to load their guns,they need to make better guns:cool:

<broken link removed>
I speedily read through the link, and it's mostly reloading advice that is generally true of gas guns, mixed with anecdotal and opinion based observations, and some other decent advice. There's nothing to suggest your gun has any 'special' reloading considerations, but the manufacturer is seemingly trying to give you a leg up on successful reloading, which is more than I've seen from other manufacturers. The suggestion to go to the 6mmbr website is something I would second, as it is full of all kinds of great information (I think it's combined with accurateshooter.com, which is a great site too) It may be overwhelming if you haven't been reloading long, but if you take it step by step, it is a good guide to developing a round for your particular rifle, which can be very specific to your rifle, which is true of every rifle.

I also would second the use of RAM TAC powder, which is what I use for my 168gr AR 308 round which goes down a 16" barrel.

Last Edited:
I speedily read through the link, and it's mostly reloading advice that is generally true of gas guns, mixed with anecdotal and opinion based observations, and some other decent advice. There's nothing to suggest your gun has any 'special' reloading considerations, but the manufacturer is seemingly trying to give you a leg up on successful reloading, which is more than I've seen from other manufacturers. The suggestion to go to the 6mmbr website is something I would second, as it is full of all kinds of great information (I think it's combined with accurateshooter.com, which is a great site too) It may be overwhelming if you haven't been reloading long, but if you take it step by step, it is a good guide to developing a round for your particular rifle, which can be very specific to your rifle, which is true of every rifle.

I also would second the use of RAM TAC powder, which is what I use for my 168gr AR 308 round which goes down a 16" barrel.

I haven't been reloading ever. But I do have an eager coach. Just no time.

My absolute favorite AR- 10 is an Adams Arms piston thingy. My least favorite AR - 10 is that same Adams Arms piston thingy. It's the only AR - 10 I own. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

With the very real possibility of this country taking an even sharper turn left I've decided to take the plunge and get in to the "black gun" club. I have plenty of handguns and long guns of every action but just haven't ever had the desire to own one for myself. I guess I'm kind of a purist but I'm not going to be left behind after someone thinks they can make my decisions for me.

I've operated many different brands and know the jists of them but all in 556/223. Personally I'm not a fan of that round but that's another discussion. What I'm looking for is the cliff notes on what to shop for and why.

My questions are:

Piston vs gas and why

Weight is an issue to me, I don't want a 10lb+ battle rifle.

Price is a factor but not a deal breaker

Ability to accept cheap and a variety of magazines

Must be able to fire/cycle/feed both 7.62 NATO and .308 Win

Is there anything else I need to know before taking the plunge?

Though with a SCAR-17 you'd need to buy a new lower to use SR-25 magazines.

Though with how much it costs, you'd have to buy a lot of SR-25 magazines to make it worth it so... There's that.

Though with a SCAR-17 you'd need to buy a new lower to use SR-25 magazines.

Though with how much it costs, you'd have to buy a lot of SR-25 magazines to make it worth it so... There's that.
So..........What is wrong with the factory FN mags? I have a dozen of them for my SCAR, they are flawless. I studied everything on the market 3 years ago in 7.62. Nothing compares to my SCAR. After shooting thousands of rounds, it is the best as attested to by many gun writers. My factory FN FAL is also quite good but heavy and not as accurate as it's cousin SCAR. I have yet to find a flaw with it.

Absolutely everything. Didn't you see where I said there was something wrong with them?

Hint: I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. The OP listed he wanted something that takes cheap and a variety of mags. The factory mags meet neither of those. Not that "I" have a problem with that as some of my mags for my rifles aren't cheap.

Well, form follows function... While I do not care for the SCAR personally, I do find the stock to be useful. Not necessarily the folding part (though that is very convenient for putting in the truck), but being adjustable for both length of pull and cheekweld is nice.

Well, form follows function... While I do not care for the SCAR personally, I do find the stock to be useful. Not necessarily the folding part (though that is very convenient for putting in the truck), but being adjustable for both length of pull and cheekweld is nice.
It is also very ambidextrous.......low recoil, accurate, excellent factory support, simple barrel changes, silencer friendly.

Last Edited:
Yeah... But pls modify the SR-25 mags and leave the FAL mags alone. :(
How many millions of FAL magazines are floating around the world? I bet more of them have been sold for scrap metal than modified for a SCAR. That is one of the myths about most military rifles, few are rare or limited production. They are the most common firearms on the planet.

Around the world? A lot.

How many are floating around HERE? Not as many as there are floating around the world. A rifle can have the most common magazine around the world, doesn't mean much if it isn't as common in the states.

Around the world? A lot.

How many are floating around HERE? Not as many as there are floating around the world. A rifle can have the most common magazine around the world, doesn't mean much if it isn't as common in the states.
They all gravitate to the states. No one else will pay the money for them we will. The big surplus dealers scour the world for stuff to resell, magazines are easy to import and the margins are high.

That still doesn't mean much in the current situation where mag prices are nowhere near what they used to be. So I reiterate, it may be plentiful across the world, but it means nothing when its not as plentiful in the states and costs are not going down.

The FAL market is slow. Imbel can't import receivers, parts kits can't come with the original barrels so that killed that aspect of it, and we're mostly left with DSA who has gotten comfortable with a lack of competition. Their receivers? LMT were better, the DSA made ones aren't getting a good reputation among builders. So mag prices aren't likely to come down anytime soon.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top