JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dryer lint will take a spark fast.

Add it to egg cartons and pour wax on it if you want something fancy (just make sure there is dry dryer lint on top - wax is hard to light:p).

Break one off and it's a dandy firestarter.

I keep a 4 or 6 pack in a ziplock as well as some loose dryer lint.

If it's in wet winter, I may take some door shim as well and that way I don't have to hunt for kindling in the wet.

I guess now that I think about it, I carry a tin with char cloth, bic (filled zippo in my pocket when out in the woods always), waterproof/windproof matches and I always pack many bandanas that I can make more char cloth out of always if needed.

Bic's in almost every bag.

Where fire is concerned, I'll go overboard and add the few ounces if need be - living on the wet side, I've found a fire will get me thru the night and my tarp will fill my water containers. I can last quite a few days without much else.

I use pitch wood, it works great. In the springtime I kept my eyes open for pitch wood when cutting firewood. Always look for lightning strikes, oh boy that gets some pitch flowing and collect loose bark thats coated in pitch. If on firewood I cut out a section, split it up very small and let it dry good.
Hemlock, Douglas fir, all have good pitch. My grandpa showed me what he carried around in his back pack for 60 years. It was a small leather pouch that smelled of pine pitch. Inside was pretty old pitch wood. I think I was 8 and we were out elk hunting. It ended up snowing about 10 inches in just a few hours, so needless to say we needed a fire. He got that little leather bag out and I collected some dry twigs under a few big fir trees. All it took was one match and it ignited fast. Nice black sooty smoke from that pitch burning.
Sooo needless to say thats all I ever use. I collect a little every year just to make sure I have enough on hand.

:s0101: That's a fun memory!

I always have the makin's in the vehicles! The quickest would probably be, prepare the fuel and then use the hand sanitizer and BIC's from the door panels! Plenty of other items in the kits.

I've carried those in the field too. And for campfire before I bought a diesel truck.

I've considered many times putting them in my hunting pack (just in case - maybe cut down to 6") but even for me I go overboard on the fire starting stuff and that just seems too heavy and redundant. I may try it someday and realize I've been missing out this whole time:D.

If it were super bad weather forecasted for a week then I'd add the weight.

That's to obvious Joe and takes the fun out of it. :oops::D

Ha, you know what I learned in Boy Scouts during my many years in it...

Gasoline makes a great fire starter without any of the effort - just pile wood and soak liberally (the wood not liberals:p). Stand back and toss a match in the general direction of the wood:D:cool:.

Gasoline makes a great fire starter without any of the effort - just pile wood and soak liberally (the wood not liberals:p). Stand back and toss a match in the general direction of the wood:D:cool:.

That's absolutely right! I've called gasoline, "Boy Scout Water," since I was 12 years old! It never fails!

I always like putting the gas on after the fire is going, it's more "exciting" that way. :eek: :rolleyes:

:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads