JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have at times sprinkled a little bit of black powder on the tinder to help it get started.

If you do this ... Be sure to plug your horn and move it away from the fire...
Before you strike a flint to steel or otherwise attempt to light the fire.

Unless you want a new nickname of Old Sparky... :eek::D
Andy
That's my nickname when I turn 70.

A trick I use is find dead flowers. The center, or the ovule/ovary part is left and all dried up. Pick them, crush a bunch in your hands, and the dust you get lights almost instantly .

I've heard you can get a big fire going using the whole block. :D
Think bigger!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.wonderfulengineering.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F05%2Fnuclear_blast.gif

:p

0000 steel wool
And it has other uses,unlike burnt cloth or flower powder!
Not knocking other suggestions, but if I'm carrying stuff around, I think it's better to carry around multipurpose items.

Best not be knocking Flower Power buddy....:D

I agree with the multi purpose items.
But since I already have and use my tinder box a lot even when not at rendezvous , I just tuck it in my hunting /camping bag and call it good.
Andy

0000 steel wool
And it has other uses,unlike burnt cloth or flower powder!
Not knocking other suggestions, but if I'm carrying stuff around, I think it's better to carry around multipurpose items.
Things that serve multiple purposes are great, as long as they still do the job well. A lot of times multipurpose items aren't quite as good as something specifically made for the job. So I try to find a good balance.

Lots of good suggestions so far, I'll have to try several and see what works best with my fire starter.

I have changed my philosophy greatly in the last decade. I think pre selected tinder is a luxury and I have no doubt many of you are very skilled individuals. I have just chosen to hone my firemaking with a knife and fero rod. Unless you have a down poor for a good while, even with a heavy dew point, you can start a fire with tinder provided by nature. And in a down poor, tactics of survival change anyway.

I currently have a small Tupperware container full of shavings from Douglas fir pitch that I keep in my packs. Stuff lights up like it's soaked in gasoline. I have 3 mason jars full in the shop just because I feel like I would eventually use it. always have a mini bic when I'm out and about.

I don't have EDC tinder, unless I consider my lounge chair framing. But I do have a hunting pack, a hunting fanny pack, a "go" pack, fanny pack, and tech/load harness with one of those drinky thingies. I also have a road kit for each of the vehicles, and used to have a snowmobile pack for work.

In these there are butane lighter, waterproof case with waterproof matches, egg carton with dryer lint coated in candle wax, commercial fire sticks, candles, a can of sterno, space blankets, and other chit.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads