JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just remember it won't go off while it's holstered.
But it certainly can while being re-holstered.

As I said in the old thread about "pointing the muzzle at the family jewels" which is also why my opinion is that AIWB mode be used by only those with a lot of firearms-carrying experience and years' worth of practicing meticulous firearms safety.

I don't think that it's that concern.

But I have personally witnessed two NDs -- in holsters -- caused by foreign agents that migrated into the holsters and caught against the trigger as the pistols were inserted -- pistols fired, One through and through (about an 8 inch wound channel, tall big dude) in a calf muscle and the other a scorched cargo pocket with a couple holes. I have seen multiple LE training bulletins recounting incidents such as this, and am familiar with another dozen cases where this has happened.

The other occurrence that's even more commonplace is for the inexperienced, truly complacent or the "brain fart" episodes is reholstering a pistol with a finger on the trigger. I responded to a very serious incident involving a guy with four or five years on the job who suffered permanent nerve damage to his right leg doing this...

As one who's become too familiar with Mr. Murphy over the years, it's not about feeling as though I'm not competent enough to carry in a certain mode, it's just about risk mitigation.

That and the fact that it's pretty simple to effectively conceal any handgun without having to resort to AIWB

What are your concerns with carrying one in the chamber? Are you worried about the gun spontaneously going off? Are you worried about inducing a negligent discharge through poor handling? Are you worried about someone (family member, etc.) getting ahold of the gun and firing a round? Try to be as specific as possible.

And some general comments...

Modern firearms are designed to safely carry with one in the chamber.

Have you thought about what could go horribly wrong if you actually needed your gun but had to cycle a round first? Maybe you have enough time. Maybe you don't.

It's entirely possible that your P365 is not the gun for you. Maybe a SA/DA would be a better choice. Maybe a gun with a manual safety would be a better choice. Maybe a 1911 with it's redundant safeties would be a better choice...but then you got that big scary hammer cocked which may bring it's own set of anxieties.

It may be that what you really need is more practice and training to develop confidence in your platform. So perhaps seek out a competent instructor and start putting more rounds down range. Dry fire and manipulation practice can help greatly in this area. Obviously you want to make sure the gun is unloaded and/or you're using dummy rounds.

You might also try this...Load the gun with dummy rounds/snap caps...NO LIVE ROUNDS but with one dummy round in the chamber. Then do everything you would normally do in the course of an average day and see if you can get the gun to fire (again...using DUMMY ROUNDS). After that, do EVERYTHING out of the ordinary that you can possibly think of to see if you can make the gun fire...within reason. I'm not suggesting you chuck the gun off the second story or something crazy like that. But shake it, rattle it, run with it, jump with it, take your gun and holster off and toss it on table, etc., and see if you can get the gun to fire. You could even wear the gun all day with dummy rounds in it...but obviously if you get into a situation you should NOT draw the gun. Or you could wear the gun around your house on the weekend and see if you can get it to fire doing your normal stuff.

I don't own a P365 and am not familiar with the internal workings of this Sig. But I bet you can find plenty of videos the detail how the gun works and the safety features. Spend some time reviewing these as learning how the internals work may help instill greater confidence in it for you.
My main concern is the firearm going off due to normal day-to-day vibrations and movement the firearm experiences while being concealed. I totally understand that modern firearms have a pretty robust design and they just don't go off on their own as long as the trigger is not pressed, but being a new ccw holder .. its a fear.
This is a great advice, I will practice carrying it with snapcaps and will put it through paces..

Here are my $.03 (inflation) thoughts (that not all will agree with...we have been down this road in other threads). AIWB carry with a gun that has no mechanical safety and a relatively light trigger pull (i.e., what you are carrying) requires some serious considerations and comfort level with your gun handling. All it takes is a broken holster piece, item of clothing or something else and badness is going to happen. I obviously don't know you so please don't take offense in that I'm not saying you are not competent. However, becoming intimately familiar with a holster to know how it feels takes time. Drawing from concealment takes time and practice. Driving, shopping, learning to not constantly check to make sure your gun is there...all take time. Don't be in a rush.

As others have said, make sure you have a high level of comfort with laws of self defense. From surveys that I have done at our club, just over 21% of those who carry do so with an empty chamber. If you choose to do this, know the limitations. Know one handed draws will be difficult, but not impossible. As always, I believe people should carry as they wish but with their eyes open.

Good luck with your quest!
totally agree, I am going to take it slow and steady. I am also planning to do a lot of dry fire practice with laser aiming systems like mantis, and have also signed up for trainning classes...

I appreciate valuable responses from everyone .. Thank you

Last Edited:
1714155186389.jpeg

But it certainly can while being re-holstered.

As I said in the old thread about "pointing the muzzle at the family jewels" which is also why my opinion is that AIWB mode be used by only those with a lot of firearms-carrying experience and years' worth of practicing meticulous firearms safety.
Yes, holstering/unholstering is not holstered. This is why I said what I said.

Appendix carry would not be my newbie method of carry choice, but YMMV. I started carrying OWB to start with and then transitioned to IWB and then back and forth depending on the season and my cover garment. I've always carried with one in the chamber and then top off the mag, but that's me. If you're concerned, try a different method of carry to start with until you are comfortable. Remember, carrying a gun is supposed to be 'comforting' not 'comfortable'. However, you have to do what you feel is right for you.

Lots of good advice above. I will add that a good belt makes a ton of difference.

Of course familiarity with your weapon and practice are very important. But so also is your mindset when you carry in public. As someone said above strive to be the nicest guy in the room. Not only should you not let your carry weapon be the reason you seek out the threat to confront - but it should be one of the reasons you are the first to leave/put distance between you and a possible threat. If you see something in your surroundings that make you uncomfortable, leave immediately. Even if this means walking out of a restaurant, grocery store, coffee shop, or whatever public place you are in. Sure you have a "right" to be there, but if bad stuff goes down you will wish you were not.

In other words, strive to be that guy who carries nearly every day for 45 years and never once has to present your weapon from the holster. I have been fortunate to be that guy and hope to remain so.

I purchased my holster (phlster enigma) the day my permit was approved and had been dialing it in while wearing it in the house with an unloaded pistol.

Then I received my permit in the mail and Today was the day when I went grocery shopping, conceal carrying it for the first time. I called it my first dry run where the pistol was unloaded.

I practiced slow and firm draws from the appendix position and feel very comfortable but it has been with an unloaded firearm.

How do you mentally prepare yourself to start carrying with one in the chamber? Is there a slow transition to it?

Thanks in advance from a newbie
It's pretty common for people to start carrying with no round in the chamber and transition to one in the tube as their comfort level and familiarity with handling firearms increases. I started that way, and I know many others have as well. Without knowing much about your training, level of experience, etc, my recommendations are as follows. Not trying to be preachy, just figure it's better to say something you already know that to leave out something you might need to know.

- If you haven't done so already, get training from a reputable firearms instructor. Handgun basics, concealed carry, laws and legalities, etc should all be covered. IMO professional training is the best way to accelerate your comfort with weapons handling and safety, and to improve your confidence in your own abilities.

- Training must be reinforced with consistent practice of the skills learned. Dedicating blocks of time daily, even if it's just 15 min, will help you cement that training. To recycle some old but relevant adages, practice doesn't make perfect, it makes PERMANENT, so don't practice till you get it right - practice till you can't get it wrong.

- Don't ignore the fundamentals, because while they aren't "cool", they are the foundation upon which all other skills are built. All that high-speed, low-drag operator training is worthless if you haven't mastered keeping your finger off the trigger. Practice simple everyday actions, like picking up a gun off the table and bringing it to Sul position, or moving around with the gun in hand while keeping it pointed in a safe direction. In fact, handling / manipulation skills are going to be just as important as (if not more than) your actual shooting skills because the overwhelming majority of your interactions with a gun will fall into the former category vs the latter.

- All practice should be done with an unloaded gun, amd no ammo nearby. Sounds obvious, I know, but countless people every year put holes in walls, floors, furniture, and body parts by not following that advice. Don't be that guy.

- Don't get overconfident. Safety rules apply to everyone - you are never too skilled to have to follow them, and Murphy's Law will always be standing by to remind you of your fallibility. That doesn't mean you should fear your gun - it just means you must always treat it with respect and handle it with deliberate care. In other words, when the gun is in your hand you must always be conscious of it, where it is pointing, and how your body is interacting with it.

- The more you carry, the more comfortable you will get with it. Just keep doing it as often as possible.

And on another note:

Do you know what the difference between a porcupine and a BMW driver is?

With a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside. :cool:

Driving in Scottsdale last week reinforced this view.
As a long time (22 years now) BMW owner (2 cars, an suv and a bike)..I need to say this.

There are two types of BMW owners.

1) Pricks that only care about the roundel/emblem on the hood.
2) Drivers that appreciate the car for what it is. The Ultimate Driving Machine.

EDIT: And also, most pricks on the road seem to be cops that drive lifted trucks.

Last Edited:
Now don't you go climbing in bed with those two malcontents... :s0123:

A SIG is a fine machine. I have three of them, and none of them have ever "...just gone off by itself..." like these rapscallions seem to believe... :rolleyes:

For the record, I'm a M&P guy at heart, but I have a 320 (with manual safety 🤣) as a bedside gun and a 365 Macro (again with manual safety) riding on my hip daily (no aiwb for me). So get off my back @sobo! 😂
You are a brave soul. Hopefully the M&P gods will keep you safe from that sig you carry.

Check, double check and then triple check those safeties...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top