JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sorry, low-hanging fruit guys....

I just never did shoot a 40 very well. In bowling pins, I found the 40 adequate but not 'good'. The 10mm was considerably improved for performance, and some how I was more accurate with it (different gun too). Of course the 41 mag was ideal but you just can't find many choices of auto pistol in 41 mag these days.

The 'best SD round' choices continue to elude me though.

Not many. But there out there.;)

DSCN4419 (3).JPG

Underwood 95 grain 9mm in my G19, SA XDsc and Ruger LC9S pro. Hot little round at about 1300 fps with an interesting bullet made by Lehigh Defense. Look at Military Arms Channel on You Tube for some testing, and one video tested this bullet against my previous carry Federal HST 124 grain (which are all loaded up in my M9). Also Underwood in my 2 .380s (S&W Bodyguard and Ruger LCP).

PNW Arms Tac-Ops 115gr. If you have not heard of them they are an amazing performing solid copper projectile, and amazingly priced. After continuous testing in ballistic gel(permagel). I recently replaced my 124gr +p gold dots, and 147gr hst for the pnw tac-ops. They are really that good fellas.
REASON FOR EDIT: Forgot to mention I go nowhere without my G19, but occasionally in winter/time of the year more clothing is needed to conceal I will carry my colt commander. Ammo feeding that is good ol Underwood +p with 230gr gold dots.

Last Edited:
Federal HST 124+P 9mm
Federal HST 230 45
Buffalo Bore 125 .357 magnum TSB in my steel j-frame and soon to be 386 night guard. Gonna carry the wheel guns for a while. I like the idea of 1250 fps out of a snubbie.

Buffalo Bore 9mm 147 subsonic in the house- pistol. 300 blk rifle.

In my EDC I'm shooting nice groupings with the highly rated .380 Hornady Critical Defense 90 grain FTX JHP.

My Ultra Compact carry gun holds 10+1 and I shoot the .40 S&W Winchester Supreme Elite (PDX1) 80 grain JHP.

I know it's expensive, but I train with the same ammo I use in each gun. Highly recommend the recent ballistics test from Lucky Gunner: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

I don't always carry the same gun. I love my Glock 29 with 155 grain Hornaday XTP rounds from Underwood. I just don't like using a (Hassle to put on) IWB holster,
So I normally carry my Springfield XDS 45 in a very nice leather RKBA pocket holster. It has Double Tap 230 Gr JHP in the gun and 230 Gr Remington Ultimate Defense in the spare extended magazine.
I now usually carry a 380 as a backup. mostly a Kahr CW380 with some Federal Hydro-Shock in it and the spare seven round magazine.
If not the Kahr, I have a LCP Custom and it had Hornaday Critical Defense (Spare too)
In my winter coat I used to carry a S&W 637 J frame (Bobbed Hammer) in 38 Special I used the Hornaday Critical Defense in that too, but I just bought a Ruger LCR in 327 mainly because it is a six-shooter, I have two six round Tuff Strips for the reload. Right now I am using 100 Grain JSP from American Eagle, but I have some Speer Gold Dot 100 Gr JHP coming and that it what I intend to use. The American Eagle is more than adequate, I just want a hollow point, I don't need it.
Retired my NAA 22 Mag

Sig P938 9mm - 147gr +P Federal HST;
Sig P226 9mm - 147gr +P Federal HST;
Sig P226 40 S&W - 180gr Federal HST;
Sig P220 45 ACP - 230gr +P Federal HST

I carried a .45 for 30 plus years because there wasn't nearly as much available then as there is now! In the service we were allowed to choose our own side arms, and most of us chose a .45 (COLT being the only available choice then) and I was pretty happy with that choice! Some time in 1986, the hot 10mm came on the seen and most of us switched to that round in a glock (again no other choice) and I had no regrets making that switch! Fast forward to today, and I carry a 10mm full size 1911 double stack ( which I custom built from a combo of parts from Caspian and Para ordnance) because I am so used to, and fond of the 1911 and the 10mm round! it was a natural choice for me! As for ammo, I have a ton of Winchester Black Talon Rifle Ammo ( for the old H-K MP-10, a modified M-P 5) in 200 grain loads at aprox 1790fps!!! This pistol is one of the very few that can handle this load! We blew up a few glocks when we tested it in them! For a back up, I carry a bersa 9mm ( almost clone of the PPK) loaded with 147 fed hydroshocks!

My poor brother in California cannot by ammo for his trusty .357 mag! I hear California has banned this caliber as well as a few others! You cannot even own ammo in .357 mag, and if caught with it will go strait to jail as a convicted felon! What has this country come to? Has any one heard of this? I hear 10mm is on the list of banned ammo, and I travel there a lot! And yes, I do carry when in California!o_O

There is a PDF, about 55 pages with 25 guns to a page of guns now illegal to have in California, including my S&W 637 (38 Spl) and 351PD (22 Mag) and a ton of 357's

Which branch of the service were you in that you got to pick your sidearm? And when did Cali push thru a ban on .357? They banned .50s and larger, but never heard of a .357 ban.

My poor brother in California cannot by ammo for his trusty .357 mag! I hear California has banned this caliber as well as a few others! You cannot even own ammo in .357 mag, and if caught with it will go strait to jail as a convicted felon! What has this country come to? Has any one heard of this? I hear 10mm is on the list of banned ammo, and I travel there a lot! And yes, I do carry when in California!o_O

Not true that you can't buy .357 (or just about any other common ammunition) in the PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia). Undoubtedly there are places where it's hard to find, but it hasn't been banned (but there may be some local ordinances I'm unaware of). Unless you live in a handful of places where local ordinances prohibit it being shipped to, it can also be purchased online.

There is a PDF, about 55 pages with 25 guns to a page of guns now illegal to have in California, including my S&W 637 (38 Spl) and 351PD (22 Mag) and a ton of 357's

I can't find the pdf, but I'm not aware of any handguns that are 'illegal' in the PRK (peoples Republik of Kalifornia), except for the Taurus Judge (which the PRK considers a SBS). There are a lot that are not on the 'approved' list, which means they cannot be sold new, but they're not 'illegal' and used ones can still be purchased.

I go with whatever is the most accurate out of the pistol out of a small pool of top rated SD rounds.

G43: 124 HST +p. About 3/4" at 12 yards 5 shot group.
DW CCO: 185 Barnes Tac-XP. About 1" at 10 yards 5 shot group.

Which branch of the service were you in that you got to pick your sidearm? And when did Cali push thru a ban on .357? They banned .50s and larger, but never heard of a .357 ban.

U.S.A.F. P.J. As long as we could prove a need, they provided the tools! We found that the standard issue service pistols just didn't cut the mustard, so we went looking for a tool that would. Not a lot of choices back then, usually what the pilot's and flight crews were issued. A .38 special revolver or some sort of compact 9mm was about it! For us being at the sharp end, a very real need for more power was the only answer! We were having to re build from scratch what we were back then, and we had a lot of learning to do! Where we are now was shaped by choices we made then ( Post Vietnam) We needed to be high speed and low drag so what we chose to equip with made a huge impact on our abilities to fulfill our mission! Equipment, training, weapons, and tactics all needed to evolve to meet the fluid demands of modern warfare as we were committing to upholding our commitments to our flight crews and those of other services aviators!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top