JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nominally whatever my local LEOs carry in .45ACP--right now Speer 53966 Gold Dot 230-grain JHP (previous issue), but that's only because the Federal P45HST1 they're now using I forgot to keep the lot number info from this box. :(

Also have some vintage original Hydra-Shoks available, and starting to wonder if maybe I shouldn't keep one or two of the spares loaded with hardball for "armored threat" applications...

124 grain Hornady XTP when I can find it, 124 grain Sig branded stuff (which uses a Winchester case, so I'm gonna guess it's made by Winchester), or if I can't find the 124 grain stuff I like, 147 grain Hornady XTP or FTX. I don't buy enough ammo at a given time to make paying for shipping online worth it usually - and I like buying ammo from local shops as it helps keep them around, at least a bit. So I buy what I can when they have it - but sometimes they have a heck of time keeping good self defense ammo in stock. I've pretty much settled on 124 grain 9mm as my preferred load for overall accuracy and functionality in each gun I've tried it in. For some subcompacts I found that the 147 grain stuff shoots closer to point of aim.

When I was toting a .45 I liked the 200 grain XTP and one of Cor Bon's 200 grain +P rounds. The last 1911 I owned shot best with 200 grain stuff.

As for 9 vs .40... the FBI has decided that the 9 is fine again, they're ditching their .40's for 9mm Glocks again. Guess bullet design has progressed enough that the softer shooting 9's are in favor again.

''As for 9 vs .40... the FBI has decided that the 9 is fine again, they're ditching their .40's for 9mm Glocks again. Guess bullet design has progressed enough that the softer shooting 9's are in favor again''

mkwerx

I think modern 9mm dose as well as many other pistol rounds as far as expansion and penetration in ballistic gel tests.

But to say it has the penetration ability of 40 S&W against hard targets would be disingenuous.

It always amuses me how institutions like the Military. And FBI. Need to continually rediscover what there predecessors already found to be true.
Like the army's surprise at there newly adopted 38 calibers inability to stop drugged up Moro fighters.
They had to take emergency measures and reissued the old .45 SAA pistols as a stop gap.

It's no surprise they returned to the .45 caliber with the adoption of the 1911.

I fear the FBI will suddenly remember there 40S&W testing.
Just about the time there 9mm handguns fail to stop the bad guys in another Miami like shootout.

9mm dose have less recoil. It's more available and cheaper for money strapped agencies to field this caliber.
But it in no way makes it a more affective caliber. :s0002:

So carry what you like. And live with that calibers limitations.
But don't try to pretend away the differences.
You, Me, the FBI and the Army can all remember history's lessons.

And just to clear things up. I don't think 9mm is a weak or worthless round.
I just find the edge goes to 40 S&W in the area of penetration. With a gun of the same size.

Will I ever need my round to punch through a car door or glass barrier before it hits the bad guy shooting at me?

It's very possible.

Careful Medic, if we speak too much on this they might decide .357 Sig is the solution since it offers superior hard barrier penetration. Or they will go to a .45 GAP because they can get .45 performance in a glock 22 sized pistol. Or they can adopt an armor piercing 9mm round - the belgians make a nasty one.

Sorry ZA for the thread drift.

9MM--G19 or 92FS comp. M9A1
-HST 124+P and 147
-Hornady critical duty 135+P
-Ranger Talon 127+P+
-Golden Sabre 124+P

And I just picked up a box of Cor-Bon 90+P.... box said 1500 fps lol.

.380--Kahr cw380
-Pow'RBall 70gr with polymer ball tip
-HST 90gr

So, Ive been carrying 9mm Hornady 135gr Critical Duty in my Sub compact EDC and 147gr Winchester HP in my Compact.

Curious what other defensive loads guys swear by, what caliber also the firearm you carry it in. Anyone switch out winter and summer carry loads?

Thread drift? ZA asked about opinions on caliber and firearms. So I think Were in line?
And even though this thread has been moved. It was first posted in Handgun discussion.

And discussing is what we're doing.;)

Careful Medic, if we speak too much on this they might decide .357 Sig is the solution since it offers superior hard barrier penetration. Or they will go to a .45 GAP because they can get .45 performance in a glock 22 sized pistol. Or they can adopt an armor piercing 9mm round - the belgians make a nasty one.

Sorry ZA for the thread drift.

I don't believe the 357 sig can equal the penetration of a 180grain 40S&W with it's 124grain bullet through hard barriers?
But maybe it's velocity gives it an edge? I don't really know.
I would think the mass of the 180 grain 40 would carry it further when met with a barrier?
But I need brush up on 357 sig. It's a good round. And I could easily convert any of my Glocks with just a barrel.

As to the Glock 45 gap size pistols.
They have a much wider slide. And wont fit a 22 size holster. In affect they are a bigger blockier gun.

Now I like the AP 9mm Idea! But we have these funny laws about pistol AP ammo in this country.
And over penetration in soft tissue would be a liability. Along with little transfer of energy to stop the bad guy.

Thread drift? ZA asked about opinions on caliber and firearms. So I think Were in line?
And even though this thread has been moved. It was first posted in Handgun discussion.

And discussing is what we're doing.;)

I don't believe the 357 sig can equal the penetration of a 180grain 40S&W with it's 124grain bullet.
But maybe it's velocity gives it an edge? I don't really know.
I would think the mass of the 180 grain 40 would carry it further when met with a barrier?
But I need brush up on 357 sig. It's a good round. And I could easily convert any of my Glocks with just a barrel.

As to the Glock 45 gap size pistols.
They have a much wider slide. And wont fit a 22 size holster. In affect they are a bigger blockier gun.

Now I like the AP 9mm Idea! But we have these funny laws about pistol AP ammo in this country.
And over penetration in soft tissue would be a liability. Along with little transfer of energy to stop the bad guy.

I agree with everyones responses.
Also, the extra data on FBI testing allowed the discussion of .357 Sig and 45GAP which I know nothing about, so I personally still found it interesting.
Im a 9mm and .45ACP guy, but I like reading about other prefered calibers guys are carrying and their justification for doing so.
Its all in good fun fellas!

I agree with everyones responses.
Also, the extra data on FBI testing allowed the discussion of .357 Sig and 45GAP which I know nothing about, so I personally still found it interesting.
Im a 9mm and .45ACP guy, but I like reading about other prefered calibers guys are carrying and their justification for doing so.
Its all in good fun fellas!

As much as I like 40. I prefer 45ACP[More of a good thing].
But I can carry more rounds with a smaller gun chambered in 40.
And I still get good penetration.

As some do by carrying 9 vs 40. I have argued for my limitations with 40 vs 45. :s0092:

1911 - Winchester PDX1 Defender .45 ACP 230 grain JHP
Colt Delta Elites - Winchester Silvertip 10mm 175 grain
Glock G20 SF - Buffalo Bore or Underwood 10mm 180 grain JHP
Glock G35 - Underwood .40 S&W 135 grain JHP
Sig P938 BUG - CorBon 9mm+P 115 JHP

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR