JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, Ive been carrying 9mm Hornady 135gr Critical Duty in my Sub compact EDC and 147gr Winchester HP in my Compact.

Curious what other defensive loads guys swear by, what caliber also the firearm you carry it in. Anyone switch out winter and summer carry loads?

Speer Gold Dots 124g GDHP. I don't switch out loads throughout the year. In the bedside gun, it's Critical Defense in .40SW, usually stacked 2-3 JHP, 2 FMJ, etc.

Sorry to make this a caliber thing. But something to consider since you cant always pack a rifle.

Glock 23 with 40 S&W 180 grain ammo. Year around. Same frame gun as the Glock 9mm -2 rounds of ammo.

Training videos show it will penetrate a metal post office drop box. And vehicles nicely.
Remember 40S&W exists because of 9mm's lack of penetration. [ So claimed the FBI]

Just ask yourself. Is 9mm gona reach the bad gut if he's shooting at you from inside a car. Or the aluminum frame of a store window? Or some other obstructions to your fire?

OK it takes a little imagination. But who gets to set up the rules of a gun fight once it's started.
All you can do is think what may happen and go prepared. :s0092:

Hay. I'm gona be shooting from cover if I can. Wouldn't the bad guy?

Same size gun. Better penetration.
And a bullet can't perform in flesh. If it doesn't find any?

Remember. I said something to consider? :s0030:

Last Edited:
Sorry to make this a caliber thing. But something to consider since you cant always pack a rifle.

Glock 23 with 40 S&W 180 grain ammo. Year around. Same frame gun as the Glock 9mm -2 rounds of ammo.

Training videos show it will penetrate a metal post office drop box. And vehicles nicely.
Remember 40S&W exists because of 9mm's lack of penetration. [ So claimed the FBI]

Just ask yourself. Is 9mm gona reach the bad gut if he's shooting at you from inside a car. Or the aluminum frame of a store window? Or some other obstructions to your fire?

OK it takes a little imagination. But who gets to set up the rules of a gun fight once it's started.
All you can do is think what may happen and go prepared. :s0092:

Hay. I'm gona be shooting from cover if I can. Wouldn't the bad guy?

Same size gun. Better penetration.
And a bullet can't perform in flesh. If it doesn't find any?

Remember. I said something to consider? :s0030:

Iirc 40 exists because after the FBI switched to a uniform ammo of 10mm including special order MP5 s they discovered most couldn't handle the recoil in their issue sidearm

For 45ACP I was running CorBon 230gr+p JHP "flying ashtrays" in the G30, but just his weekend I spent those on the range yesterday (they were over a year old) and now I use Critcal Defense 230gr +p JHP.

For 9mm I'm kitting up with Critical Defense 124gr+p JHP in the G19.

Everyone so far has listed stellar choices. :s0155:

Iirc 40 exists because after the FBI switched to a uniform ammo of 10mm including special order MP5 s they discovered most couldn't handle the recoil in their issue sidearm

It exists because of the 1986 Miami FBI shootout. That found a lack of penetration with 9mm.

At the time there was no 40S&W so the FBI initially moved to 10mm.
After much testing they came up with a velocity they thought was necessary to get the penetration they were after with a 180 gr 10mm bullet.

S&W offered to make the 40S&W round [And the guns for it] based on the FBI"s velocity needs.
This new round could reach the FBI's desired velocity with a shorter 10mm/.40'' diameter casing.
And it's reduced length compared to 10mm made it possible to fit the new 40S&W round in 9mm frame size guns.

So. With the 9mm penetration failure in that Miami FBI shootout. And with a lot of FBI ballistic testing on the 10mm round. We have the 40 S&W round.

A round that penetrates better than 9mm. But not as good as the hotter 10mm round.

It exists because of the 1986 Miami FBI shootout. That found a lack of penetration with 9mm.

At the time there was no 40S&W so the FBI initially moved to 10mm.
After much testing they came up with a velocity they thought was necessary to get the penetration they were after with a 180 gr 10mm bullet.

S&W offered to make the 40S&W round [And the guns for it] based on the FBI"s velocity needs.
This new round could reach the FBI's desired velocity with a shorter 10mm/.40'' diameter casing.
And it's reduced length compared to 10mm made it possible to fit the new 40S&W round in 9mm frame size guns.

So. With the 9mm penetration failure in that Miami FBI shootout. And with a lot of FBI ballistic testing on the 10mm round. We have the 40 S&W round.

A round that penetrates better than 9mm. But not as good as the hotter 10mm round.

I'm a fan of the .40S&W myself. I do have a G23 I can carry, but my preferred carry is my M&P9c. I do have .40S&W in my bedside gun though (full size frame), and am very comfortable knowing it's there.

Depending on what I decide to wear:D, 10mm - Double Tap 220 gr hardcast, 9mm- not sure just rely on numbers:p, 40sw- Hornady Critical, 380- Buffalo Bore+P 80 Grain Barnes TAC-XP Hollow Point

When I had the 10mm I did the same as I do with the 357.
I carry what's available cause either caliber is going to perform with whatever load you put in it
So mostly just jacketed soft points. Any weight will do but i have 158gr in my 686

I used tnoutdoors9 to make some choices. I picked the load that was the best intersection between effective and inexpensive. For me that is Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135gr. For my carry guns I use the +p. For my HD guns I use the standard pressure to ensure subsonic.

Same ammo all year.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top