JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The early Americans could carry whatever firearm, long gun or handgun, that they wanted to (and I suspect that also included while at Ye Ol' Pub). Dressing and "carrying" for a particular occasion, as the person thought was appropriate.

Of course. While in "militia practice," the long gun would probably be more appropriate (or perhaps, REQUIRED) for the occasion. Bringing along a handgun, was probably NOT frowned upon either.

So then (back then)......IF, someone CHOSE to carry in a Pub. It was probably a personal decision.

No law to prohibit such.....FREEDOM.

But I admit, that I could be wrong. So.....IF.......YOU know of any particular law or prohibition against the carrying in Ye Ol' Pub from back in that era? Please post it.

Aloha, Mark

PS......"silly" is making gun laws against and/or not understanding......

"........shall not be infringed."
I didn't say it was illegal. I just don't think it was a thing because of the types of weapons and dress at the time.

Laws work on the law abiding. That is reality.
As stated, law abiding is a range of behaviors, not a state of mind. An idiot that avoids shooting someone when drunk because they didn't want the hazard of getting caught with a gun is a crime prevented, even if on the most banal level.

As stated, law abiding is a range of behaviors, not a state of mind. An idiot that avoids shooting someone when drunk because they didn't want the hazard of getting caught with a gun is a crime prevented, even if on the most banal level.
How much have you had to drink tonight? Because you're making about as much sense as Kamala Harris. :s0140:

How much have you had to drink tonight? Because you're making about as much sense as Kamala Harris. :s0140:
I don't know what kind of explanation wil. get through to you. So you'll pardon me if I just restate myself:
1. Some people follow the law out of principle.
2. Some people follow the law because it would be a hassle to get caught, but they have no morals. These people might commit an awful crime if angry or drunk. These people are sometimes prevented from becoming criminals by laws that keep them out of the position of doing something stupid.
3. Some people will break any law.

The laws are there to inform 1., to slow down or stop 2., and to prosecute 3.

I don't know what kind of explanation wil. get through to you. So you'll pardon me if I just restate myself:
1. Some people follow the law out of principle.
2. Some people follow the law because it would be a hassle to get caught, but they have no morals. These people might commit an awful crime if angry or drunk. These people are sometimes prevented from becoming criminals by laws that keep them out of the position of doing something stupid.
Yet you have previously stated (post #113) that abiding by the law is not a state of mind. Is this not a contradiction?

Yet you have previously stated (post #113) that abiding by the law is not a state of mind. Is this not a contradiction?
No. I meant that it is not a binary state of mind, where abiding by the law is only due to one way of thinking. I listed two types, as a generalization.

Status

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR