JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I typically carry something light and refreshing during the summer months. During the fall and early winter, there's just nothing like good ole' Pumpkin Spice bullets! For the holidays, I like something minty and chocolaty in the chamber. After New Year and in to the spring, I like something warm, but not too spicy.

I hope people see the blatant parody in the previous paragraph. Winter and summer carry loads? Seriously? I don't think that dude was serious.

I carry whatever self-defense rounds were on sale at Bi-Mart. People will talk this subject to death when the reality is that most of us would have real trouble putting ANY type of rounds on target during a stress fire situation.
Somewhat, seasonal loads can make sense if you have more pronounced weather variation--take all the Norks who would drop just fine for a .30 Carbine during the summer but not even feel it buttoned up in their winter gear. Early HP's did not like getting plugged up with layer upon layer of fabric very much...

Something minty in the chamber? Tried Froglube? :p

If a gun develops enough velocity to expand and has enough penetration I like Gold Dots, though there are several HP designs that work well. If a caliber/gun offers a choice of penetration or expansion I usually go for penetration, ideally with a semi-wadcutter or wadcutter.

Winter Carry - Glock 19 - Hornady Critical Duty
Summer Carry - Glock 43 - Hornady Critical Defense

I've had a lot of people ask me why I carry critical duty in the winter time. Well being that I live in NE Oregon where it gets super cold during winter, people are bundled up. That means if I do encounter a threat they are going to be wearing multiple layers. Critical duty performs better at penetration compared to critical defense but fails to expand as nicely.

Winter Carry - Glock 19 - Hornady Critical Duty
Summer Carry - Glock 43 - Hornady Critical Defense

I've had a lot of people ask me why I carry critical duty in the winter time. Well being that I live in NE Oregon where it gets super cold during winter, people are bundled up. That means if I do encounter a threat they are going to be wearing multiple layers. Critical duty performs better at penetration compared to critical defense but fails to expand as nicely.

^^^ This!!

Personally, I carry 9mm Hydra Shocks in the summer because that is what I have. There may be better loads but.... oh well. During the winter I switch to .45ACP.

While I said my NAA 22 Mag is retired, I did buy some Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 22 Mag for it and my J-frame of the same caliber. The J-frame is bigger so less concealability, but double action and a seven shooter, so better for shooting.

Winchester Silvertips 200 gr about 25 years old now the last of a box I got at BiMart when I asked for some .44 specials and that is what the gal put on the counter saying those are all we got.

No one can accuse me of special bad guy killing ammo. Least not without me having a come back.

They open up to at least the size of a Nickle with these petal like rays looks like they would make a serious mess out of soft tissue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top