JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I carry , iwb either a g19 or a subcompact kahr, at 3 o'clock position. I'm also right handed. What do people do while they are driving and need to access the firearm? I have no problem with the holstered pistol comfort wise, but with seatbelt on im not getting to it anytime fast.

Appendix carry fixes all these problems. My holster never moves or transitions between activities or locations.

I would avoid removing it from your waistband when going from car to walking and walking to car. It's not ideal and leaves a greater risk for potential issues.

Last Edited:
IMO there should never be any transitioning between any environments, it adds risk and unknown complexities.
Your options are increased seatbelt removal training or AIWB holster (the seatbelt may still interfere with that).
Everythings a trade off, find your holster and train around that.

You can stick it to a mounted magnet. If it is a steel framed firearm, or has a steel slide. or on the sun visor if it is not too heavy.

I would mount the magnet down around the steering wheel even if the gun is light enough to mount on the sun visor. You want to keep your gun low and not reaching up to the sun visor.

No offense to those that like them but IMO magnet mounts and similar vehicle holster systems are a bad idea on many levels. At the very least off body carry is not recommended and I just cant imagine all the transitioning especially in urban and city environments.

IMO there should never be any transitioning between any environments, it adds risk and unknown complexities.
Your options are increased seatbelt removal training or AIWB holster (the seatbelt may still interfere with that).
Everythings a trade off, find your holster and train around that.
I get that, and after numerous holsters I carry a simple badger plastic iwb or a desantis iwb leather one . I tried appendix carry and can't get comfortable with it so I settled on 3 o'clock carry.

I was not specific about transition . I didn't meant that I would be taking the gun and placing it another holster specifically or something like that. It was more about transition from walking to sitting/driving while maintaining similar ease of access to the firearm.

I get that, and after numerous holsters I carry a simple badger plastic iwb or a desantis iwb leather one . I tried appendix carry and can't get comfortable with it so I settled on 3 o'clock carry.

I was not specific about transition . I didn't meant that I would be taking the gun and placing it another holster specifically or something like that. It was more about transition from walking to sitting/driving while maintaining similar ease of access to the firearm.
In that case, youve done everything you can. Practice removing the seatbelt and drawing. Add the additional time it takes, to increase your situational awareness.

I acknowledge that some things just can't be improved and I don't bother buckling up until I have driven away.

If I need my pistol while I am driving, I'm in a vehicle and will use it as a weapon if necessary, but I'd also unbuckle to access firearm post haste.

Doors get locked as soon as I enter vehicle. That gives you at least some time to react. I'd say most people trying to rob you don't want to bother shooting you through a locked door. They'd rather get cash and get away, so the locked door put a big wrench in the plan. I'd act super scared, make statements to that affect verbally, purposefully sounding frightened, feign compliance and then draw at the opportune time, contact/point shoot before bothering to acquire sights for folloe up shots.

The intention would be to stop the threat, the result would be a lot of red iron smelling substance leaking out of their body and following the path of least resistance gravity picks for it.

I am right handed and when I carry I don't have any issues with drawing with my right hand. When it is cold I keep my jacket unzipped so I can still draw if needed. Uncomfortable in the wintertime until my engine warms up to heat my car.

A shoulder rig is the simplest solution. I've never used IWB, always outside if on the belt, but never had an issue with it while driving around the home ground. If I'm on a long road trip, it's a shoulder rig with a 1911. Comfortably handy location. As others have said, once it's in a holster. leave it there until needed.

Solution.

IMG_3478.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews