JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
9mm 124gr Speer Gold Dots in a reload. I know, I know, people say don't carry reloads. I just don't care.
I have fired thousands of reloads, without a single malfunction. All you really need is the skill to hit a target at about 25 feet and the assurance your firearm will function as designed when you need it to.

Don't listen to all those ammo snobs...

DSC06046.jpg 230 grain Speer Gold Dot hollow points.
.45 acp in a Colt Series 70 ( top one in the pic )
Same load summer or winter. Luckily for me 230 grain fmj S&B hits to the same point of aim as the expensive gold dots ... cheaper to practice with.
Andy

Last Edited:
I have fired thousands of reloads, without a single malfunction. All you really need is the skill to hit a target at about 25 feet and the assurance your firearm will function as designed when you need it to.

Don't listen to all those ammo snobs...

I don't think it's because of a reliability factor... the reason I have heard you should never carry reloads or hand-loaded ammo is it gives the other guys attorney "ammunition" against you. A lawyer can turn a reloaded JHP into a story about how "all you care about is the most damage and destruction" or "you went looking for trouble because you make your own defensive ammo and just had to test it out on that poor guy." I definitely think it's a legal issue, not that you shouldn't trust your life to reloads. In a SHTF situation and the lawyers are all gone, reloads just may save your life. I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my Kahr CW9 and T9 and feel pretty comfy with them.

Winchester 200gr Silvertips in .44spl bought almost 20 years ago when they were the only .44spl on the shelf at BiMart one day. NASTY looking things that end up about the diameter of a Nickle when they mushroom.

Bunch of LE agencies tested the major pistol calibers and of those a bunch hopped on the .357 Sig round because they say it has excellent performance through auto glass and door skins - retaining enough velocity, mass, and accuracy. Texas DPS, New Mexico State Police, and I *think* Michigan State Police went w the Sig round, plus US Secret Service and allegedly the air marshals. Of them most also toted a Sig handgun - tho NMSP had short lived run of .357 Sig M&Ps which o think they swapped out for Glock 31s and 32's.

I agree with your .40 load tho. When i used to carry a .40 i only went with 180 grainers. 165s were too light and snappier than the 180s.

my gawd......the reload vs the law internet lie will never die

smart reason not to carry reloads is reliability

stupid reason is to avoid some lame imaginary crap about lawyers

and I am betting that's what he don't care about, he would be a fool not to care about reliability but that whole internet lore thing is what he doesn't care about and I am with him

Men try to do a lot of things they think they can pull off!

When it goes well you look like a stud.
When it goes bad you look like a fool!

If you want to carry reloads then ''Good on you'' if you can pull it off.
I admire your confidence. And if you get a squib load or blow your gun up and get shot in the process?
Well that's on you. No skin off my nose.

We all have our own abilities. And pride.
Just hope they match up.;)

Men try to do a lot of things they think they can pull off!

When it goes well you look like a stud.
When it goes bad you look like a fool!

If you want to carry reloads then ''Good on you'' if you can pull it off.
I admire your confidence. And if you get a squib load or blow your gun up and get shot in the process?
Well that's on you. No skin off my nose.

We all have our own abilities. And pride.
Just hope they match up.;)
I've had plenty of dud factory rounds in my lifetime of shooting

if a guy cant be meticulousness and detailed in the reloading process then why the hell do it......I do it to end up with BETTER than factory ammo, and I am successful .
I tailor make loads for different firearms based on performance from that particular firearm.....you'll never get that from the factory, instead its a generic load that works good for most firearms

....I heard it was "40 Short & Weak"....

Only from the 10mm crowd who dare not shoot their guns because of the treaty banning them as weapons of mass destruction, for their tendency to open rifts in the space time continuum. Stephen hawking once professed that should two 10mm projectiles be fired at the same time and strike the same object at the same place, the entire universe would be obliterated. :D

But Jeff Cooper liked it and figured it was a good alternative to the .45ACP.

So, Ive been carrying 9mm Hornady 135gr Critical Duty in my Sub compact EDC and 147gr Winchester HP in my Compact.

Curious what other defensive loads guys swear by, what caliber also the firearm you carry it in. Anyone switch out winter and summer carry loads?

I only use Gold Dot +P for operational use. In 9mm I use 124 gr +P, in 38 Spl I use 135 gr +P, and in 45 ACP I use 200 gr +P.

sorry, low-hanging fruit guys....

I just never did shoot a 40 very well. In bowling pins, I found the 40 adequate but not 'good'. The 10mm was considerably improved for performance, and some how I was more accurate with it (different gun too). Of course the 41 mag was ideal but you just can't find many choices of auto pistol in 41 mag these days.

The 'best SD round' choices continue to elude me though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top