JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone tried or currently using this setup? Kind of giving it some thought for various outings where having the bag on me at all times is not an issue. I like the non-tactical look and blends in with just about every day kind of bags you see.

I'm not familiar with that bag but I've been eyeing this one for a smaller, low key, off body carry solution...in a low key color.

-Ranger-Front_6e210fe3-81e1-4db1-997d-2fd58e237ab3.jpg

Thank you both for sharing these products! I like the price points - they are way more affordable than some of the other brands out there. Some initial observations:

Helikon-Tex EDC Sling:
  • The concealed pistol compartment is opened via a nylon strap attached to the front flap of the pocket. This design works, but requires there to be a gap in the zipper to accommodate the width of the strap. While low likelihood, it is possible for the zippers to slip open wider over time or with heavy jostling. I ran into this with the 5.11 Select Carry sling bag, but the strap they used was ~2" wide, so perhaps it won't be as big of an issue on this bag.
  • From watching the product video, you can see when the actor removes the bag from his shoulder that there is some visible pilling on the back pad. That tells me the material used might be of a lower quality. For the price point it's definitely not a deal-breaker, just something to note.
  • Because it's a sling bag, you can expect to swivel it across your front often when carrying it. Consequently the "dump pouch" front pocket probably will have limited utility - too easy for things to fall out when pulling it across to the front of your body. I liked the way Vertex solved this in their bags by having an elastic lip that pulled the dump pouch closed and zippers on either side to expand it if needed.
  • I'm curious about how rigid the rear panel is. Some pictures make it look pretty solid, and others show a little more flex than I would like. Because it's intended to mount a pistol, you don't want it to be flopping around or sagging on you mid-draw, particularly if you tend to have the strap looser around your body.
  • It's definitely a right-handed bag, so if you're a lefty this could be a challenge.
Viktos Upscale 3 Sling:
  • It's a properly ambidextrous bag (that part was well thought out), but the padding on the main strap appears a bit thin. It could result in some comfort issues if carrying heavier items for long periods of time. I don't know if this is the case or not just by looking at it, but padding on the should strap where it joins the top of the bag is key for a comfortable sling bag.
  • Accessing the concealed pistol compartment appears to be done by pulling on one of the zipper ends. I don't see any lanyard or pull-handle to help you do that when under stress - the last thing you want to do is be grappling for the zipper while fighting off an attacker. You might consider adding a knotted section of paracord to the zipper pull for that compartment to facilitate rapid access. Vertex solves this with a rubber handle; IMO that is a little too overt, but it definitely works.
  • The Viktos is 15" H x 7" W x 4" D, which makes it a little smaller / narrower than I prefer. Might just be me, but I think odd bag shapes (small, narrow, etc) tend to draw a little more attention, whereas larger / wider sling bags fall more into the "normal backpack" scenery.
In general, I would start by thinking through what kinds of things you'll want to carry in it on a daily basis before purchasing a bag. For example, if you take your sling bag to work, so you might want it to hold a laptop, charger, mouse, headphones, etc. Here in the PNW we have a lot of rain, so you may want to carry a windbreaker in it. Then there's the safety / security-related stuff you might want to carry - gun and spare mag(s), tourniquet, other medical supplies, flashlight, knife, mace, etc. Start with that list of must-haves, put that pile together on your kitchen table, and then you can figure out how big a bag you will need to fit it all. I like to have a little extra room in mine for additional things I might need to pick up, so worth planning for that as well.

Hope this helps!

Thank you both for sharing these products! I like the price points - they are way more affordable than some of the other brands out there. Some initial observations:

Helikon-Tex EDC Sling:
  • The concealed pistol compartment is opened via a nylon strap attached to the front flap of the pocket. This design works, but requires there to be a gap in the zipper to accommodate the width of the strap. While low likelihood, it is possible for the zippers to slip open wider over time or with heavy jostling. I ran into this with the 5.11 Select Carry sling bag, but the strap they used was ~2" wide, so perhaps it won't be as big of an issue on this bag.
  • From watching the product video, you can see when the actor removes the bag from his shoulder that there is some visible pilling on the back pad. That tells me the material used might be of a lower quality. For the price point it's definitely not a deal-breaker, just something to note.
  • Because it's a sling bag, you can expect to swivel it across your front often when carrying it. Consequently the "dump pouch" front pocket probably will have limited utility - too easy for things to fall out when pulling it across to the front of your body. I liked the way Vertex solved this in their bags by having an elastic lip that pulled the dump pouch closed and zippers on either side to expand it if needed.
  • I'm curious about how rigid the rear panel is. Some pictures make it look pretty solid, and others show a little more flex than I would like. Because it's intended to mount a pistol, you don't want it to be flopping around or sagging on you mid-draw, particularly if you tend to have the strap looser around your body.
  • It's definitely a right-handed bag, so if you're a lefty this could be a challenge.
Viktos Upscale 3 Sling:
  • It's a properly ambidextrous bag (that part was well thought out), but the padding on the main strap appears a bit thin. It could result in some comfort issues if carrying heavier items for long periods of time. I don't know if this is the case or not just by looking at it, but padding on the should strap where it joins the top of the bag is key for a comfortable sling bag.
  • Accessing the concealed pistol compartment appears to be done by pulling on one of the zipper ends. I don't see any lanyard or pull-handle to help you do that when under stress - the last thing you want to do is be grappling for the zipper while fighting off an attacker. You might consider adding a knotted section of paracord to the zipper pull for that compartment to facilitate rapid access. Vertex solves this with a rubber handle; IMO that is a little too overt, but it definitely works.
  • The Viktos is 15" H x 7" W x 4" D, which makes it a little smaller / narrower than I prefer. Might just be me, but I think odd bag shapes (small, narrow, etc) tend to draw a little more attention, whereas larger / wider sling bags fall more into the "normal backpack" scenery.
In general, I would start by thinking through what kinds of things you'll want to carry in it on a daily basis before purchasing a bag. For example, if you take your sling bag to work, so you might want it to hold a laptop, charger, mouse, headphones, etc. Here in the PNW we have a lot of rain, so you may want to carry a windbreaker in it. Then there's the safety / security-related stuff you might want to carry - gun and spare mag(s), tourniquet, other medical supplies, flashlight, knife, mace, etc. Start with that list of must-haves, put that pile together on your kitchen table, and then you can figure out how big a bag you will need to fit it all. I like to have a little extra room in mine for additional things I might need to pick up, so worth planning for that as well.

Hope this helps!
Fantastic post and I greatly appreciate your insight and willingness to share it here! Definitely some things to consider but, one thing for me, I won't be using it as an EDC just, an EOIAW. (every once in a while)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top