JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many of you have had to alter what you carry, where you carry, etc. due to pain or surgery?

I'm currently going through this and am coming to the realization that I may need to change up what I carry. I don't want to but I may be forced to. Due to the military, work, lifting, etc. my back is pretty shot and the weight/size of my load out (let the genitalia jokes fly) is continually making the issue worse. I have a high pain tolerance and am stubborn as hell. Probably doing my body more harm then good.

Any opinions/options that y'all have done to combat back pain or adjusted due to surgeries etc when it comes to carry?

Getting older sucks. Any input is appreciated.

I had to quit putting my wallet in my back pocket and only wear leather belts sparingly.

The belt because it pushes in on my lower back and causes my back to be sore. The wallet would cause the same kind of problem. Would make my sciatic nerve to flare up.

Core strengthen exercises ie squats/dips/pull ups and yoga type stretching help but as I get older the less I wanna work out but it does help.

It's hard to iwb without a leather belt but maybe take a few days off to see if that helps possibly. Also a stiffer mattress with help with lower back pain.

I had to quit putting my wallet in my back pocket and only wear leather belts sparingly.

The belt because it pushes in on my lower back and causes my back to be sore. The wallet would cause the same kind of problem. Would make my sciatic nerve to flare up.

Core strengthen exercises ie squats/dips/pull ups and yoga type stretching help but as I get older the less I wanna work out but it does help.

It's hard to iwb without a leather belt but maybe take a few days off to see if that helps possibly. Also a stiffer mattress with help with lower back pain.
I always have back pain but it flares up real bad when I carry. And I carry all day/everyday at work. I still lift (just lighter) and do Jiu Jitsu. I've learned to just accept a certain amount of pain.

For context I carry AIWB in a Tenicor holster and a Ares Gear belt. There is a noticeable difference from when I carry a G17 w/ X300 to a G43X or G48 when it comes to pain. I prefer to carry a full size gun but I may need to downsize and see if that resolves my issue.

Yea, I mainly carry a little gun 1:00 but very often add a duty type gun 4:00.. hardly know it's there. Need a belt though. All I use are $15 garrison belts.
With work I gotta make sure it stays hidden due to the places/buildings I enter. Which is another reason I need to stay at appendix.

I'd love to carry OWB simply for comfort but it's not a realistic option for me at this time.

Do the best you can to equally balance the load. I've carried two G19s in opposite hand AIWB holsters to help equalize the pressure and keep it centered. Same goes for a shoulder rig, I'd rather two identical pistols over one pistol and a couple of mags, again for equal weight distribution on my back. At least it worked for me.

Shoulder surgery.
Added a left-hand holster to a suicide (horizontal) rig.
Just for grins, when healthy I had a Ser 70 Gov under each armpit, with 5 magazines on the belt, during a traffic stop on the motorcycle.
Comedy ensued.

I carried IWB 3 o'clock for decades. Not so much anymore.
Same place just OWB with some wardrobe changes.

My shoulder doesn't like 4:00 anymore so I switched to AIWB.
My hip is FUBAR, switching to a smaller gun helped quite a bit and doesn't need a large belt to carry like with my others.

Also suffer chronic lower back pain myself and found that regularly carrying the weight of a Combat Commander or Sig M11-A1 put too much pressure on my back.

Carrying the P365 or S&W 642 have eliminated that problem. I re-evaluated my situation and determined the circles I travel in are less risky, thus downsizing was an easy and at least in my mind, logical choice.

But I did invest in a couple of Miami Classic style holsters, for the 1911 and M11, just in case the need to carry either arises.

I wish you luck in pursuing a viable solution that still feels adequate for your personal situation(s).

Also suffer chronic lower back pain myself and found that regularly carrying the weight of a Combat Commander or Sig M11-A1 put too much pressure on my back.

Carrying the P365 or S&W 642 have eliminated that problem. I re-evaluated my situation and determined the circles I travel in are less risky, thus downsizing was an easy and at least in my mind, logical choice.

But I did invest in a couple of Miami Classic style holsters, for the 1911 and M11, just in case the need to carry either arises.

I wish you luck in pursuing a viable solution that still feels adequate for your personal situation(s).
It's definitely noticeable in regards to a pain scale when it comes to carrying my standard G17 w/X300 vs. a 43X or 48. I don't want to downsize but I think I'll try it for awhile and see if it helps in the long run in regards to pain. I know I carry way more than what I "need" and I don't want to swap it up but I may need to.

How about moving some of the belt carry items off the belt. e.g. remove X300 for a pocketed handheld. Extra magazine(s) to pocket or ankle. Lighter weight kydex. A few ounces here and there might tip the pain scale in your favor. I wonder if it's the weight or if bulk/size of your current setup that is causing the discomfort. I've had good comfort success with ratcheting leather belts on micro compact through full size in appendix carry. I find that the belt tension is more precise and helpful especially after meals.

I would like to jump in here as well. Last december I had a fall and now have some pretty severe back issues (torn disc and so on). I've been in treatment but mobility issues continue and I am just in the process of getting the CHL finally. Mainly the back injury triggered this plus where I live. I feel like the glock 43 could be an option but I am also leaning towards something lighter. I really like the 43 i build but I feel liem with 6 or 7 shots there migjt be better options out there. When finances allow I would probably go for one of those S&w 8 shot 357mags that are ultralight. Fee free to PM if you need some support.

Edit: for no belt options check out the 'sticky' holsters. I have one for the small glock and it is actually pretty good. It will gold even in basketball shorts if they arent loose at the waist.

Last Edited:
Consider the smallest and flattest 9mm, .380 or even .32 autos and carry two of them rather than reloads. Buy kydex and start making your own holsters to get the exact position and attachment you want. You can make stuff that would be unacceptably un-durable for retail sale but acceptable for your specific needs - I've used lighter gauge kydex for small guns with success.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top