JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry the G19 IWB at 4 o' clock. If I'm driving I can just lean forward, which my belt allows, drive with the left and extract with the right.

JP9
I carry this way. The only issue I've found is my holster clip can scuff the seat as I get in. Holster specific problem. EMT and insurance experience proved to me that appendix carry in a vehicle is not an option for me. Plus I just can't get comfortable with it. Good luck.

For what it's worth, I've found cross carry (i.e. 9 or 10 o'clock when right handed) doesn't have nearly the seat belt/shoulder harness troubles as 3-4 o'clock carry. And it allows my phone holster to remain at 3 o'clock as it has been for many years (why not phone in the pocket? Already taken by keys/flashlight/knives/wallet/etc.). YMMV, of course, but it works well for me when wearing a jacket.

OK, I have to ask: What is a "holster"? I carry in this rig.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 12.26.29 AM.png

NOTE: I do get the occasional complaint when waving other drivers past.

Last Edited:
Isn't it quite uncomfortable to sit in a car with an iwb holster in 4 o'clock position?

My back would not be happy at all.

And God forbid you get in a wreck leading to you slamming backward into the seat with gun jamming in your back. But I guess aiwb in a wreck would be equally painful.

Isn't it quite uncomfortable to sit in a car with an iwb holster in 4 o'clock position?

My back would not be happy at all.

And God forbid you get in a wreck leading to you slamming backward into the seat with gun jamming in your back. But I guess aiwb in a wreck would be equally painful.
It depends on what kind of gun/ holster and it depends on what kind of vehicle you drive and it depends on your body type.
Also, I wouldn't worry about getting hurt in a wreck because that's generally what happens when you get in a wreck.

Fanny pack potentially? Not sure of all the pros and cons but it solves the issue you posted.
I just went through the thought process for this in advance of a trip from the Bay Area in California, through Northern California, up through Central Oregon, to Pendelton, to Walla Walla, back to Portland and down I-5 back to the Bay Area. All in all, it was 26+ hours of driving plus additional walk about time.

I decided to use a LAPG Frunk fanny pack:

I added a Kydex holster attached to a Kydex square with Velcro backing to then attach to the Velcro in the large pack compartment. This set up is very stable and safe from anything snagging the firearm. The interior zippered area in the large compartment easily holds a second magazine.

I also added a Maxpedition large zipper pull to the pack zipper to use to open it and to not confuse with other zipper openings.

I found this set up to be very comfortable and would highly recommend it.

The seat belt - for a right handed draw - does not get in the way of opening the zipper with the left hand from the right side of the pack back towards the left side. The lap belt is underneath the pack as it sits on the belly. The cross-body part of the belt is also away from the draw stroke. So, access to the bag is easy and unrestricted.

I can't imagine trying to drive 26 hours with a firearm at the 4 o'clock position from a comfort standpoint or having to lean forward to draw. Likewise, I would imagine that an appendix draw would be constrained by the lap portion of the belt putting pressure against the firearm in your groin area, as well as, clothing being harder to get out of the way.

My pack has a back and tan swirl/camo pattern and does not shout "tacticool." Not once did I get a questioning look from someone who could tell that I was carrying. In fact, my only concern was having to put a napkin over the pack during meals so I did not spill on it :p

Your milage may vary, but this set up works for me!

Last Edited:
I just went through the thought process for this in advance of a trip from the Bay Area in California, through Northern California, up through Central Oregon, to Pendelton, to Walla Walla, back to Portland and down I-5 back to the Bay Area. All in all, it was 26+ hours of driving plus additional walk about time.

I decided to use a LAPG Frunk fanny pack:

I added a Kydex holster attached to a Kydex square with Velcro backing to then attach to the Velcro in the large pack compartment. This set up is very stable and safe from anything snagging the firearm. The interior zippered area in the large compartment easily holds a second magazine.

I also added a Maxpedition large zipper pull to the pack zipper to use to open it and to not confuse with other zipper openings.

I found this set up to be very comfortable and would highly recommend it.

The seat belt - for a right handed draw - does not get in the way. The lap belt is underneath the pack as it sits on the belly. The cross-body part of the belt is also away from the draw stroke. So, access to the bag is easy and unrestricted.

I can't imagine trying to drive 26 hours with a firearm at the 4 o'clock position from a comfort standpoint or having to lean forward to draw. Likewise, I would imagine that an appendix draw would be constrained by the lap portion of the belt putting pressure against the firearm in your groin area, as well as, clothing being harder to get out of the way.

My pack has a back and tan swirl/camo pattern and does not shout "tacticool." Not once did I get a questioning look from someone who could tell that I was carrying. In fact, my only concern was having to put a napkin over the pack during meals so I did not spill on it :p

Your milage may vary, but this set up works for me!
Good info.

This is the one I use: https://comforttac.com/products/fanny-pack-holster

I carry , iwb either a g19 or a subcompact kahr, at 3 o'clock position. I'm also right handed. What do people do while they are driving and need to access the firearm? I have no problem with the holstered pistol comfort wise, but with seatbelt on im not getting to it anytime fast.
training! Training to learn to draw your holstered firearm while buckled up in a car.....you can get it faster than you think with some training. Lot's of training companies around, take a "Car Defense" class somewhere.

not necessary to unbuckle first, it can be done simultaneously while drawing your weapon, training, training, training!
Righty tighty, lefty loosey. I'm not sure how you do two things simultaneously with one hand, but I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit jealous.

I pocket carry. When I am in the car I would draw my well concealed but easily accessible car gun. No fussing around during every car / outside of the car transition.

No, I will not tell you how I have my card gun concealed in my card.

I appendix carry and to be honest I don't usually change it or when transition to a better form of carry when I am getting in and out of the vehicle. Usually with the kids or other folks around I keep it concealed for the entirety of the day without shifting it around and such.

If on my own or if convenient I will remove it once I'm seated in the car and wedge it between my seat and the center console but this is not normal for my situation.

I appendix carry and to be honest I don't usually change it or when transition to a better form of carry when I am getting in and out of the vehicle. Usually with the kids or other folks around I keep it concealed for the entirety of the day without shifting it around and such.

If on my own or if convenient I will remove it once I'm seated in the car and wedge it between my seat and the center console but this is not normal for my situation.
Same.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads