JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good thread op. I suggest trying a bunch of different pistols and seeing what you have a preference for. I know you shoot glock right now, but there may be something out there that works better for you. Good luck with it!!!

This. And of the Glock, Ruger, S&W and CZ pistols I've owned, the CZ-75 P-01 fits my hand best. The only thing I'd change on it [someday] is the trigger, which irritates the tip of my finger after longer shooting sessions.

Agreed. I can shoot my Glocks ok, and they are ... what they are. However, I can shoot my CZ's best (fit in the hand and trigger). I typically carry my CZ P-07 (.40) or my PCR, and even the CZ polymer guns don't beat up my hand as much as a Glock does over extended firing. I tend to favor my DA/SA de-cockers for carry (Beretta and Sig are close seconds).

All this revolver talk... I do like the ones I've shot and need to look at them more. I like the idea of a 357 snub for backup carry.

@Dungannon Advice on the trigger issue: If you know you're going for an extended session, just get a good cloth bandaid (ie. cloth so you still have some traction vs. slick type bandaids) or some sort of thin non-slip medical tape. A bandaid tends to be just enough padding and shouldn't impact your trigger pull much. It helped a lot with my PCR when I was doing a good bit of holster-draw, rapid-fire training (ie. 2-300 rounds in a short span of time).

My Glock 17 with the RTF frame. It is one of the first runs of the Vickers Tactical edition. Zero issues with it. Fits my hand like a glove and runs like Forrest Gump on cocaine.

Out of everything I have shot and all I own, I still prefer a 22lr pistol at the range. Nothing beats a brick of ammo, at the now somewhat normal pricing of $20 per 500 rounds, and a box of clays spread out everywhere. Or a bunch of steel targets. Or dualing tree or plate rack.

My Glock 17 with the RTF frame. It is one of the first runs of the Vickers Tactical edition. Zero issues with it. Fits my hand like a glove and runs like Forrest Gump on cocaine.

The Glock 17/22 is a gun I've carried a long time and have a lot of history with it. It doesn't inspire the "feels" like a 1911 or some Sigs, but its a great fighting pistol and if things turn brown, you'll want a gun you run well.

My glock 17 RTF. Because it always goes boom. If it breaks parts are cheap and anyone can fix it. Also Because it's ugly and nobody wants to steal it!

Oh and I just seem to shoot it better than others.

Do I have to pick one? My Wilson Combat Colt, folllowed by my Python. I've never actually shot this Python, but I think it still counts.

DSC_4149.jpg

Well I'll give a little bit of a run down of my different pistols I've owned and tried at the range. I've owned a few Kel-Tec pistols recently a P3AT(.380) and a PF9(9MM). I've carried both for hundreds if not thousands of days for concealed carry. Both have long DAO triggers which most people hate but I got used to them. I also owned a Glock 23, which I sold because I wanted to move everything to 9mm. I loved my Glock 23 but I could live without it. My wife owns a Walther CCP which I've shot a bunch. Recently I owned a FMK Recon (Patriot II in Desert Tan) that one shot amazingly and felt great in the hand but was not reliable. Recently I've shot the SIG P320C, SIG M17, Ruger American 9mm, CZ P10F, Walther Q5 Match, an FN in 9mm I forget which one, it wasn't the FN 509 though it was an older one. Either way my favorite guns of all of those were the Ruger American full-size and the SIG M17. I loved shooting both of those. Felt great, shot very well. My next purchase is going to be a Ruger American Pro in 9mm, if I could afford it I'd buy a M17 too but those get kinda expensive.

nwf.JPG

I'm not a good shooter, but I suck less with my Kimber Custom Target II.... Having said that, Gen 3 4 Glock 19's probably my go-to handgun, because it NEVER lets me down.

Edited: Gen 4, not 3. :confused:

Last Edited:
Really not possible for me to come up with a favorite. Of the handguns I own, as to basic design the tilt is slightly in favor of revolvers but mainly because I like Smith & Wesson products and they've made such a variety over the years that having quite a few of them was for me unavoidable. Problem in answering this question for me is that every one of the handguns I own has some redeeming feature(s) about it that cause it to be in my battery. Or they wouldn't be there. And I have banished a goodly number over the years for want of some redeeming quality.

Okay, so I will use the metric stated above, "if the house were on fire" and I could take but one. Probably a Smith & Wesson Model 57, .41 Magnum, 4 inch bbl. Very accurate. Able to shoot mild cast bullet loads or powerful magnum rounds. Frame size fits my hand well. 4 inch bbl. manageable length for carry (kinda).

Sorry friends but you cant touch this. Their is nothing smoother to shoot than a good 1911. The ergonomics got it right over 100 years ago, the Browning short recoil action is what all others base on and the heart and soul.... the single action only trigger has never been beat.
0126182046a_HDR_wm.jpg

That's nice! I've been looking at the new Colt Competition as a carry piece and IPSC/three-gun when I move back to the land of the free.
Of the 3 brands of 1911s Ive owned the Colts have never failed or needed any work. I would buy a Colt Competition in a heartbeat. My carry piece is a Wiley Clapp CCO, it shoots exactly the same as its big brother. Whats interesting is I occasionally read mediocre reviews on Colt 1911s in forums but thats not my experience with them.

Of the 3 brands of 1911s Ive owned the Colts have never failed or needed any work. I would buy a Colt Competition in a heartbeat. My carry piece is a Wiley Clapp CCO, it shoots exactly the same as its big brother. Whats interesting is I occasionally read mediocre reviews on Colt 1911s in forums but thats not my experience with them.
Test target when Wilson Combat finished my custom work. This is with the stock 1991 barrel with a new barrel bushing.
IMG_20140604_101838.jpg

Test target when Wilson Combat finished my custom work. This is with the stock 1991 barrel with a new barrel bushing.
View attachment 617229

Oh I would love a Wilson Combat although their price range has always eluded me I'm so tempted to go for a high end production or a custom made 1911 at some point. Its an addiction I tell ya... one I refuse to seek help for.

Thread title edited to reflect "handguns" not "pistols" for you purists. :rolleyes::D
Who you calling purist? I had a career military dad. Learned, among other things, that rifles aren't ever to be called guns. ("This is my rifle, etc.") Being a girlchild, I had a rifle, but no gun. And I never called a rifle a gun till decades after leaving home. But I can say "gun" now. Gun, gun, gun. See? So I'm not a purist.

But a revolver is not a pistol. It just isn't.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top