JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm working in Trinidad right now, 7 miles from Venezuela. Locals say that smuggling and theft is a problem as well as illegals showing up to claim asylum. Apparently there are pirates off the Venezuelan coast now too. So that's what I'll do if I wake up one day to find out the US has turned Venezuelan -- head for the coast and be become a pirate.

I think something that many of you are missing here is that the supplies, food, fuels, etc. that are delivered to the rural areas are done so by trucks coming from the cities where those items they are delivering are manufactured and distributed from. Also, if you look at other countries that have experienced severe economic crisis, people actually move to the cities looking for opportunities to earn some type of living, or even to pick through the trash in the dumps.

Currently in America there is much more wealth and resource abundance concentrated in cities than in rural areas, and that is never gonna change. I believe it will be beneficial during the initial stages of any type of major decline to be living away from metropolitan areas, but unless a person/family has some very significant, primitive survival skills, and is willing to live much more primitively than they are currently living, it won't be long before many rural folks will come to town looking for a means to provide for themselves should a large-scale, long-term economic disaster occur...

Generally speaking, I believe living on the outskirts of a medium-sized city is ideal, but there are way too many variables in each geographical location of the U.S. to indicate that this would be best for everyone.

So that's what I'll do if I wake up one day to find out the US has turned Venezuelan -- head for the coast and be become a pirate.

RGgwIgP.jpg

I'm fairly philanthropic, and I've donated money and time in the past to what I believe are good causes, but if our country took a dive and started looking like Venezuela that would change immediately. The two most important people in my life are me and my spouse, followed closely by the other members of my immediate family. I would do anything I had to to ensure my and my spouse's safety, health, and survival, and I would have no qualms doing so.

*I* have a bolt-hole available, IF I can get across the continent and the border, and IF things don't spill over to the north. Now if crap hits the fan up THERE... well, job one is get my folks stabilized somewhere, job two becomes slog my way to Toronto and extract the GF and her folks. Easiest way I see to do this would be pack up the Evil Old Ones and dump them on the old family farm in Northern Indiana, then use that as my base of operations for the insert into Canada and to regroup and plan post-extraction.

If Venezuela occurred here, we'd have room for Miss Venezuela 2019 in the house...but that's IT.

(sorry, just trying to lighten it up a bit)

Just in case y'all don't have enough to worry about.

Do some math.

What is the current Federal debt ceiling?

How many people are in the US?

What is the debt per person (total debt/population)?

Is it getting bigger or smaller?

What is going to happen when the tax revenue does not cover the interest on the debt? (taxes will be increased and benefits will be reduced)

What will happen in the cities when people who depend on Gov benefits see them reduced?

This is why I keep my Mom's place in the hills with a full propane tank and woodshed. She does all the canning and preservation (for now), and my lady is a hell of a bird hunter. I take the bigger stuff when I can, and worry about those who might attempt on it. We also maintain a shop with pit and an engine lift, and my stepdad (before he passed) stocked it with tools and car parts and manuals for damn near anything with an engine. There is room for good folks known to us to be useful and trustworthy, as well as cleared areas for cultivation.

No man is an island.
Compared to most- even on this board- you got it made in the shade! May you (and yours) live long and prosper:)!

Compared to most- even on this board- you got it made in the shade! May you (and yours) live long and prosper:)!
I'm just lucky the old man made me put in all those years of clearing brush. I remember asking him why I didn't get an allowance for splitting wood and helping my mom snap beans for canning, among other things, and he told me that my reward was not being cold or hungry. I probably was a turd about it, but, one year we were without power for two weeks, and were unable to make it out of our area to go to a store. I understood after that, and learned to appreciate his gift for foresight.

Thanks for the good wishes. My hope is that if ever there is a time where what few skills and resources I have become necessary for existence, that I have an equally important resource available, which are trustworthy friends and people with complimentary skill sets.

Last Edited:
Reading this thread makes me consider how fortunate the Amish kids are to learn how to be self-sufficient in a close community of like-skilled people. Unfortunately, when "The Chaos" arrives the un-gunned and out-gunned will be destroyed and their property taken by the lawless.

Reading this thread makes me consider how fortunate the Amish kids are to learn how to be self-sufficient in a close community of like-skilled people. Unfortunately, when "The Chaos" arrives the un-gunned and out-gunned will be destroyed and their property taken by the lawless.

...and said fruitful property will go to waste, as those whom take will not know nor care to do hard work.

@Carbon thx for posting that video. It is a stark reminder that when times get really difficult (e.g. SHTF, economic collapse) then one best be armed to protect themselves, their loved ones, and their critical possessions.

They were having fun in Venezuela today:

Put on your tinfoil hats, a former CIA officer warns us to arm ourselves and get ready for violence. EDIT: This is a long video - he makes his main points in the first few minutes, which is the only part I watched, and you can read the summary in the description below the video. Edit: corrected link: EDIT: I watched the entire video (64 minutes) and it is good!
Kevin Shipp – Arm Yourself, Dark Left Violence is Coming

Last Edited:
They were having fun in Venezuela today:

Put on your tinfoil hats, a former CIA officer warns us to arm ourselves and get ready for violence. EDIT: This is a long video - he makes his main points in the first few minutes, which is the only part I watched, and you can read the summary in the description below the video. Edit: corrected link:

Kevin Shipp – Arm Yourself, Dark Left Violence is Coming
The scoops in Soylent Green were better organized.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top