JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh I got the joke. Just didn't want anyone thinking that Motrin is good for Trauma. Shin splints after an 11 mile hump around Court House Bay, yes, but anything else, no.

Also don't use that blood stop powder on anything other than a shaving cut.

Last Edited:
Oh. Oh yes. very important.

If buying supplies intended to save lives.. Do not cheap out.

Especially tourniquets and epipens/antibiotics.

If the price seems too good to be true compared to sites like North American Rescue or Rescue Essentials; it is very likely counterfeit.

I bought a couple gun show special tourniquets and yup. They're counterfeit Chinese made tourniquets. Same size and looks as real deal but very noticeably cheaper feeling stuff overall.

Israeli Bandages/compression bandages with NSNs, known medical supply brands, (stuff you'll find in a pharmacy), and known US Issue NSN/CAGE coded packaging.. good to go. Some items, you'll need to go from reputable sources such as tourniquets, airway supplies, and so on.

In addition to the several good suggestions here, I would also reiterate medical training. I'm a paramedic but to this day I'd say that the most eye opening (single) class I've ever been a part of was my original WFR. In two weeks you'll cover some great topics and gain knowledge that I feel every citizen should have. It's only a matter of time until you'll use the training.

I'm also a supporter of the minimalist perspective. Your kit doesn't need to be the size of a suitcase. My backcountry kit fits in a one quart ziplock bag. For bleeding control all you need is a TQ and items for a pressure dressing. Many supplies can be repurposed or improvised with the right training.

Motrin (Ibuprofen) and Tylenol (Acetaminophen) are both blood thinners and not good for trauma injuries. Aspirin would be a better choice and it works well when someone is having chest pain (324 mg).
Whatever you do, do not give aspirin to a trauma victim of any type. aspirin will absolutely cause increased bleeding. the only time it should be used is if the pt is having a cardiac event. Aspirin is given to confirmed myocardial infarction (heart attack in laymans terms) because it's theraputic action is to make the blood cell "slippery" so they are more likely to get past any blockage, which will cause increased bleeding from wounds. Chest pain in and of itself is not an absolute when diagnosing a cardiac event, there are multiple factors that come into play. Ibuprofen/advil/motrin will cause some increased bleeding. Tylenol/acetomenophen will not cause significant extraneous bleeding. All that said, none of these should be used in the treatment of an injury with significant bleeding. They can be used as a pain reliver for fractures following appropriate therapy, ie splinting.

To the OP, you need to determine if you are trying to build an blow out kit, IFAK, team/squad level medic bag, or a platoon/company level medic kit. google the contents of those items, and then start building your kits based upon that and your level of training, as well as the level of training of those around you. If you have family members or friends that have more advanced training, but aren't preparedness minded, having gear they know how to use may be a good idea as well.

And finally, as others have stated, get training. first aid and CPR are the bare minimums. EMT basic is just that, basic. TCCC courses are expensive, but well worth it.

There is alot to this subject. I've spent the last 29 years in this career field, and continue to learn things regularly.

I didn't mean to give everyone a crash course in pharmacology, just steering them away from giving OTC painkillers that don't really help.

Also I probably worded that wrong as I was pointing out giving Aspirin "only" for chest pain. I believe the OP was asking about a SHTF situation. If not in a SHTF situation, call 911 and let Medics/EMT's like Medicman help out.

I told an RN friend of mine who also happens to have very good paramedic skills that I'd like him to take a look at my SHTF med kit and tell me what I'm missing. He said "It depends on the size of the kit", so I told him this is my comprehensive kit that will stay in a vehicle or camp, not for a pack to which he replied "Then it depends on your level of training". He's correct, but I also know that there will be people like him out there who may have the skills, but not the gear at the time it's needed, so while I wouldn't let a lack of skills dissuade you, the more you know the better off you'll be when things go south.

Regarding what to put in the kit, take a look at high-quality, pre-assembled kits online and start by mimicking those which cover the things you're concerned about encountering and as others have already mentioned, don't cheap out on the contents.

Motrin (Ibuprofen) and Tylenol (Acetaminophen) are both blood thinners and not good for trauma injuries. Aspirin would be a better choice and it works well when someone is having chest pain (324 mg).
Just to clarify - ibuprofen and aspirin are both NSAIDS and will have blood-thining/anti-platelet effects and are less than ideal if you are truly concerned about clotting/bleeding.

Tylenol, however, is good to go and does not effect clotting abilities.

Just to clarify - ibuprofen and aspirin are both NSAIDS and will have blood-thining/anti-platelet effects and are less than ideal if you are truly concerned about clotting/bleeding.

Tylenol, however, is good to go and does not effect clotting abilities.
Except for killing your Liver if taken over long periods of time.

In the ER right now. Got me thinking. If there's no access to medical care beyond basic First Aid, people are really screwed. And this isn't from a bleeding, broken, or traumatic injury.. reason I'm in ER.. vomiting/diarrhea over a period of 24 hours with inability to keep food down and difficulty keeping water down. Edit. Nausea and specific pain area; just a sudden onset around 2am yesterday. They gave me some stuff. IV fluids and a cocktail of something for the nausea. Now waiting for blood work results and ultrasound for gall bladder problems.

Could be a severe viral thing, could be food poisoning, could be something else entirely. Again, waiting on blood results, I think they're testing liver enzymes and other things. If abnormal results. CT scan. If normal results, and ultrasound shows no problems with gallbladder.. we'll see.

Seems access to medical care is the difference between first/new world and third world problems?

All the more reason to become good friends with qualified doctors and nurses. My mom is a retired RN, so I have some contacts through her for things.

In the ER right now. Got me thinking. If there's no access to medical care beyond basic First Aid, people are really screwed. And this isn't from a bleeding, broken, or traumatic injury.. reason I'm in ER.. vomiting/diarrhea over a period of 24 hours with inability to keep food down and difficulty keeping water down. Edit. Nausea and specific pain area; just a sudden onset around 2am yesterday. They gave me some stuff. IV fluids and a cocktail of something for the nausea. Now waiting for blood work results and ultrasound for gall bladder problems.

Could be a severe viral thing, could be food poisoning, could be something else entirely. Again, waiting on blood results, I think they're testing liver enzymes and other things. If abnormal results. CT scan. If normal results, and ultrasound shows no problems with gallbladder.. we'll see.

Seems access to medical care is the difference between first/new world and third world problems?

All the more reason to become good friends with qualified doctors and nurses. My mom is a retired RN, so I have some contacts through her for things.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

So. A 2-hit combo of viral infection and dehydration.
Blood work showed elevated white counts, glucose (to be expected from dehydration), urinalysis showed high RBC, elevated other things, extremely low protein..
CT scan showed good results; just slight fatty liver (medically obese here, so to be expected).

Sent me home with prescriptions for two different medications; Ondanestron (anti nausea) and Pantoprazole (protects stomach lining and prevents acid reflux I think?). No antibiotics.

Might be a good reason to ask primary care doctor for 6-months+ supply of specific prescriptions and over-the-counter meds

Asprin is a blood thinner, too. Yet, in a severe trauma with blood loss, the last concern is going to be over-the-counter painkillers.

Painkillers for use in trauma are not easily obtainable,..... Ketamine, fentanyl, and morphine are all suitable for trauma and maintain breathing in controlled therapeutic doses. No over-the-counter analgesic comes close.

Ibuprofen is of great value, not just for pain, but it's a strong anti-inflammatory and reduces swelling (sprain/ swollen ankle). The Dosage to reach maximum therapeutic levels is 4 tablets (yes, 1 not one) 6 hours later 2 than one after that.

Off the top of my head, Other things I carry when I'm out away from town like Benadryl, if you have a bad allergic reaction, can save your life.

• Decongestant like Sudafed
  • Cold flu medications with caught suppressant Nyquil, There-flu day and night
  • Individually wrapped 70% Alcohol wipes
  • Imodium
  • Hydrocortisone cream
  • Calcium carbonate tablets (tums)
  • Antibiotic ointment
  • Benadryl Antihistamine
  • singe uses disposable Eyedrops
  • Bagbalm
  • Banana Bag Oral Hydration Recovery Formula W- Electrolyte & Vitamin Powder Packet Drink Mix
  • Compressed hikers towels are disposable; add water
  • Antibiotics if you can get them. Amoxicillin, Azithromycin, Ciprofloxacin, Doxycycline, Metronidazole

You must be younger than me.
I don't know that age matters in this topic. Being unable to properly wipe your butt becomes a serious issue, pretty quickly.

You know there are guys out there who have total battle rattle and are going to succumb to some version of swamp bubblegum due to poor wiping.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top