JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have spent the last couple of days reading over some of the posts in the Survival Prep forum and have opened my mind to some things I have not thought of. I was wondering if we had any members with more experience that could compile a hard pinned topic with a possible shopping list of things like the tourniquets and types of bandages and insta clot bubblegum. (I don't know what is called and I use "bubblegum" as a place holder) I thought it might be a nice thing to have for new members and maybe as a refresher for older members. I don't know I'm just some guy.

Get medical training first. Red Cross runs a ton of courses all over the US.

Then get gear that fits the training, activity and needs.

There is no one-size-fits-all on stuff like this. You're going to have to research and find out what you need.

Agreed, get medical training.

Depending on the type of training

As mentioned, Red Cross' classes.
First Aid
CPR/AED
Lifeguard
BLS/CPR for Health Care
ALS/PALS
Some more specific courses for professions and jobs related to childcare and schools

Others;
Stop The Bleed

First Aid Severe Trauma (FAST)

Emergency Trauma Response

EMT

Survival/Wilderness First Aid/Emergency reponder

And so on.

It's cheaper to build your own First Aid kit piece by piece than to buy the ready-made kits sold through pharmacies and stores.

Very basic booboo to basic First aid stuff

Bandages-many kinds
Band-aids-many sizes
Ace wraps-fairly basic
Guaze pads-lots sizes to pick from
Cotton balls
Tape
Shears
Gloves
Q-tips/cotton swabs
Alcohol prep pads
Triple antibiotic cream
Wet wipes/cleaning pads
Splints/depresser sticks-small stuff
Ibuprofen/Tylenol/Motrin/Excedrin
Cold compresses
Disinfectant wipes or liquid/cleaners (Povidone-Iodine and similar)
Allergy medications

Slightly more advanced-training preferred to use

Burn dressings/gels
Blood clot agent dressings/gels/powder
Suture kit
Compression dressings/bandages
chest seals
Immobilization devices/advanced splints (broken bones/stuff)
Tourniquets (forgot to add this)

Stronger pain killers

More advanced; definitely need training;
Airway devices
IV stuff
Defibrillator
Emergency surgery stuff
Epipens
Antibiotic injections/pills

Anything more than the above gets you into field hospital levels of stuff including medications

Last Edited:
I've amassed a decent first aid kit over the years pilfering industrial kits that got replaced and trashed at my previous employer. Including a AED that was thrown in the trash because the supervisor didn't know how to replace the batteries

20231102_155343.jpg

Personal opinion: It's easy to go overboard with first aid equipment. A basic TQ and a israeli bandage will get you far unless you are preparing for TEOTWAWKI. And I hate the cop out of "you have to figure out what's best for you" but I don't think there is really a need for a one size fits all list. Shooting range first aid vs a hiking trip first aid kit will have some overlap in components but there is different considerations on the nature of the injuries, weight and size vs storage space that you should consider. For general first aid in a car or around the house a industrial first aid kit with some bleed control augmentations will suit most people for most things until EMS can arrive.

I EDC a ankle kit that has a TQ, shears, gloves, and a israeli bandage. That's all you really need to plug a leak until EMS can get there. And unless you are way the bubblegum out in the boonies EMS will get to you in a *reasonable* amount of time so you really don't need to pack around surgery kit and a field hospital. Do you really need to pack around whole selection of NPAs if you haven't been trained on when to use one? On the flip side of that just because you don't know how or when to use one that doesn't mean somebody else in your party may not.

. Left to right in this picture is a SAM XT, CAT Gen 7, SOF-T, Snakestaff Sys ETQ, and a Swift TQ. I personally carry the Snakestaff ETQ on my ankle kit. If I was stocking a first aid kit I'd buy the SAM XT. I would not trust the Swift to be able to get enough tension on a large thigh but small people/kids or lower extremities would likely be fine. Bottom line is any TQ on the market will get the job done.
20231102_160954.jpg

I wouldn't bother with Celox or QuikClot unless the wound was unconventional. In a choice between the two I like Celox because you can get in plunger applicator so you can really pack a wound properly with it
20231102_155621.jpg

Here is the beginning of what you need to know/have on hand.

Seal the box
Pack the junctions
Torniquet the limbs

This at a minimum requires a chest seal, a massive amount of wound packs (4x4 gauze or 4x4 sponge kits), and a good CAT torniquet. (and yes I like Israeli Bandages as well).

Than go take an EMT class from the local Junior College if possible.

My first out bag contains more than I care to post on here, but the above things are a good start.

Motrin (Ibuprofen) and Tylenol (Acetaminophen) are both blood thinners and not good for trauma injuries. Aspirin would be a better choice and it works well when someone is having chest pain (324 mg).

Motrin (Ibuprofen) and Tylenol (Acetaminophen) are both blood thinners and not good for trauma injuries. Aspirin would be a better choice and it works well when someone is having chest pain (324 mg).
It's a running joke from veterans when medics will just tell and give them these same three lines for advice
"Change your socks"
"Drink more water"
"Take Motrin and shut up"

Right up there with "not service related" from VA

It's a running joke from veterans when medics will just tell and give them these same three lines for advice
"Change your socks"
"Drink more water"
"Take Motrin and shut up"

Right up there with "not service related" from VA
Yea my sarcasm/joke went right over his head. Lol.

It's a military thing.

I bought a large package of Korean paper tablets and split them among three vehicles. Very strong toilet paper and works quite well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top