JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mrs.Sheepdog has been canning and stocking the shelves. She's been experimenting with Costco carrots and potatoes and ONLY water bath canning which is a "no-no" I guess. But definitely is working

10E389EC-D200-408E-939B-4587112C9606.jpeg

RE : Post #10,979
Checking up

Today, I checked up on the AK-74. A tiny bit of rust was discovered where the muzzle device screws onto the barrel.

I guess I should/could have left it disassembled. Just to be sure, that I wasn't trapping any moisture between the parts. Maybe, the entire rifle should/could be kept field stripped (in pieces) until I'm SURE that all of the parts are thoroughly dry enough? Perhaps a full 24 hours? Nah......Ivan wouldn't approve of that.

Or maybe then......

I'm just being too anal about the tiny bit of rust? Yes, an oiled patch took care of things today. But, I'd hate to see the rust if I had let it continue for a week or so.

Aloha, Mark

RE : Post #10,979
Checking up

Today, I checked up on the AK-74. A tiny bit of rust was discovered where the muzzle device screws onto the barrel.

I guess I should/could have left it disassembled. Just to be sure, that I wasn't trapping any moisture between the parts. Maybe, the entire rifle should/could be kept field stripped (in pieces) until I'm SURE that all of the parts are thoroughly dry enough? Perhaps a full 24 hours? Nah......Ivan wouldn't approve of that.

Or maybe then......

I'm just being too anal about the tiny bit of rust? Yes, an oiled patch took care of things today. But, I'd hate to see the rust if I had let it continue for a week or so.

Aloha, Mark
Soap or vinegar will make water "wetter" and get down in the cracks and crevices better. You might try a couple of drops of dish soap in the water to start the cleaning and see how that works.

The usda is about 70 years out of date. The USA is one of the few countries that pressure canning is common, most of the world waterbaths. When the pressure canner is going, I get a couple waterbaths going outside. Anything I can pressure can, I can waterbath. Meat, veggies, just have to do the appropriate times.

The usda is about 70 years out of date. The USA is one of the few countries that pressure canning is common, most of the world waterbaths. When the pressure canner is going, I get a couple waterbaths going outside. Anything I can pressure can, I can waterbath. Meat, veggies, just have to do the appropriate times.
Exactly, that's what my wife is discovering now

Wife canned 5 quarts of potatoes and 2 quarts of beef&bean soup all water bath. She even tried reusing a store bought jar and lid from some spaghetti sauce. "Rebel canning" they call it. It pulled a seal. No need to buy jars and lids now!!!

5E398A2C-5918-40D2-8188-4AC579E817AE.jpeg

Finishing up a run that is just over 48hrs running of fresh green beans from a friend that could not fit all his family gave him in the freezer... have another 2 loads of green beans and corn from him to process.

Just got 7 more costco rotisserie chickens, 6 will be freeze dried and 1 for snacking on through the week.

Bunch of seasoning to try some garlic and herb Freeze Dried chicken and more....

Finishing up a run that is just over 48hrs running of fresh green beans from a friend that could not fit all his family gave him in the freezer... have another 2 loads of green beans and corn from him to process.

Just got 7 more costco rotisserie chickens, 6 will be freeze dried and 1 for snacking on through the week.

Bunch of seasoning to try some garlic and herb Freeze Dried chicken and more....
I've been thinking of canning some. Since we don't have a freeze dryer. Any thoughts? Have you done that before?

I've been thinking of canning some. Since we don't have a freeze dryer. Any thoughts? Have you done that before?
Canned meats were commonplace in my family. There were jars of tuna, venison, beef, etc. A pressure canner, jars, lids, rings and goof directions, will get you started.

Edit to add: Learn how to spot spoilage and teach it to anyone within the home. Oh.....and canned salmon...yum.

Canned meats were commonplace in my family. There were jars of tuna, venison, beef, etc. A pressure canner, jars, lids, rings and goof directions, will get you started.

Edit to add: Learn how to spot spoilage and teach it to anyone within the home. Oh.....and canned salmon...yum.
We currently waterbath everything. Including meat. I was curious about canning meat (like a Costco chicken) that has been already cooked. With soups the meat is already cooked and you just waterbath for 20 mins to pull a seal.

When we canned small batches of precooked meat, it was canned directly after cooking.

If you are speaking on the the Costco chicken that has been separated from the carcass, packaged and then refrigerated...I would freeze it in portion size freezer bags.

As far as possible canning methods....Maybe adding a preserving brine or broth would help increase the shelf-life by increasing the acidity, limiting air space and transferring temperature during the canning process.

Jbsheepdog, I can chicken all the time. Bone in chicken, thighs&drumsticks is 65minutes for pints, 75 for quarts. That's pressure canning. Waterbath would be three hours, bone in or boneless. If your on Facebook, there's a couple of good rebel canning groups on there. Lots of information and good recipes. Also thousands of utube sites. Just finished lunch, burritos in a jar, costs about a buck a jar, get three burritos out of a pint jar. Last time I went to taco hell, their burrito supreme was six dollars and change and gas for a week. Canning is a lot like reloading, I started off with a big pot, some jars and a couple of gadgets. Kinda like starting to reload with a rockchucker, some dippers and a hand primer.

Pressure Canning Vs Waterbath Canning

Some germs require higher temperatures to be killed.

Clostridium botulinum are heat-resistant and exist widely in the environment, and in the absence of oxygen they germinate, grow, and then excrete toxins.

Water turns to steam at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. Foods that are canned in a waterbath have reached 212 degrees.

Any germs that can be killed at that temperature may have been dealt with - but if there are germs (or toxins) in the canned food that survived the 212 degrees, they are still present.

Most fruits are acidic enough to be safely canned using the waterbath method. But for foods that are not acidic, a higher temperature is needed to ensure that the canned food is safe to eat. That's where a pressure canner is the tool of choice.

Water will not turn to steam at 212 degrees if it is under pressure. The higher the pressure is, the hotter the water can get before it becomes steam.

By pressure-canning food, higher temperatures can be reached, killing germs that might otherwise survive. The length of time that the food is held at that higher temperature is also a factor.

Botulism is a risk in low-acid foods that were not pressure-canned.

https://www.cdc.gov/botulism/index.html

"Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a toxin that attacks the body's nerves. Symptoms of botulism usually start with weakness of the muscles that control the eyes, face, mouth, and throat. This weakness may spread to the neck, arms, torso, and legs. Botulism also can weaken the muscles involved in breathing, which can lead to difficulty breathing and even death."

More information about botulism:

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/botulism

85BA20E0-D45D-47DB-B79F-0B9EC0530FD3.jpeg

37D5E596-78C1-42E1-A63F-08D280CBD5E8.jpeg

After 70hrs of run time, 3 half gallon mason jars full of green beans plus a half gallon bag to snack on and a half gallon bag to give to the source of my green beans...

Will put about 3 chickens worth of shredded chicken in the freeze dryer

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR