JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's amazing that waterbath canning is done world wide and you don't see news reports of botulism poisoning. The Amish can pretty much everything water bath. I usually pressure can bone in chicken, mainly for the shorter time, because I usually make chicken carnitas, or other recipes with brown rice and I don't want the rice to turn to mush with longer cooking times. But like the rebels say, your kitchen, your rules.

Pressure Canning Vs Waterbath Canning

Some germs require higher temperatures to be killed.

Clostridium botulinum are heat-resistant and exist widely in the environment, and in the absence of oxygen they germinate, grow, and then excrete toxins.

Water turns to steam at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. Foods that are canned in a waterbath have reached 212 degrees.

Any germs that can be killed at that temperature may have been dealt with - but if there are germs (or toxins) in the canned food that survived the 212 degrees, they are still present.

Most fruits are acidic enough to be safely canned using the waterbath method. But for foods that are not acidic, a higher temperature is needed to ensure that the canned food is safe to eat. That's where a pressure canner is the tool of choice.

Water will not turn to steam at 212 degrees if it is under pressure. The higher the pressure is, the hotter the water can get before it becomes steam.

By pressure-canning food, higher temperatures can be reached, killing germs that might otherwise survive. The length of time that the food is held at that higher temperature is also a factor.

Botulism is a risk in low-acid foods that were not pressure-canned.

https://www.cdc.gov/botulism/index.html

"Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a toxin that attacks the body's nerves. Symptoms of botulism usually start with weakness of the muscles that control the eyes, face, mouth, and throat. This weakness may spread to the neck, arms, torso, and legs. Botulism also can weaken the muscles involved in breathing, which can lead to difficulty breathing and even death."

More information about botulism:

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/botulism

View attachment 1309623

View attachment 1309624
Understood, we have canned carrots, potatoes, and chicken (starting from raw) In water bath. 2-3 hour runtimes. No problem. My original question if misunderstood was about canning Costco rotisserie chickens that are cooked. If it could be done like what Orpackrat is doing with freeze drying.

Yes, you can water bath Costco chickens, three hours in the water bath. Doesn't matter if your canning raw chicken or cooked chicken, three hours water bath. I like to put thighs and drumsticks on a low heat, Smokey grill, until there about half cooked. Still have to pressure can for 65 minutes for pint jars, 75 minutes for quarts or 3 hours waterbath. Take them out of the jar, put a little barbecue sauce on them, zap them a couple minutes in the micro, tastes like they just came off the grill.

Took my new cat to the vet for a checkup and vaccine shots. In good health. Caught another mouse in a trap. I think the cat will do a better job though.

Took delivery of my power stations and plugged them in to charge them.

Filled the gas tank on my car.

I guess I could add that I took my cat to the vet a coupla weeks ago for a c/u and shots. Didn't now that counted as preps, but I can see how it would...

y2k_and_2038.png

Changed the oil on my motorcycle. Rotated the truck tires -- it needs the rear brakes done. I'm glad it's sunny out.
Organized all my dry goods yesterday.
Made some borscht today. That'll keep me fed for a week.
Drank a beer.
Heading out to load some ammo.

Oh yeah - bought some reloading tooling too.

Ordered 4 bags of wheat berries to pick up in a few days. I kick my self for not buying MORE when I was getting them for about $14 a bag. Got some FREE food grade buckets from Costco bakery. Got some more rice, quinoa, PB and jam, lighters, scissors, batteries and other stuff. Some more carrots for the wife too can this week. I stocked my "mini bar" finally! gonna mix me a drink after this.

Moving into your own place for the first time has lots of hidden costs 😂

2781F868-6264-4BC0-BB41-39F14019C6E6.jpeg 16FA4A66-2FAB-4292-A4D4-432046AC0DFA.jpeg image.jpg

Bought some more silver. Also A LOT of sardines. Outside of Organ Meats, Beef Liver, probably the heathiest food on Earth.
Might have to do a sardine fast over the holidays.

The silver supply thru private parties has never been this dry - I've pulled out all the cash I can, I guess I'm stuck with toilet paper now. I know a monetary/banking 'issue' is coming and since banks don't pay any interest to speak of I guess I can do a Mayweather impersonation.

A sad market for buyers or sellers right now https://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=silver coins -wanted .999#search=1~gallery~0~0

Part of preping in my world is to fix stuff on my own. So today a got the speedy sticher out and fixed one of my white ox firewood handling gloves that had split a seam on the thumb.

Right now?

I am testing my power outage preps.

Power went out 2 hours ago. ETA for restoration is another 3 hours.

Lighting worked perfectly, it blinked a bunch and then came on (battery backed bulb). My emergency lantern is proving useful for going where I don't have emergency lighting. I had, in the last few days, charged various battery things, including two power stations I bought and that were delivered Saturday.

The UPS kept the Starlink system running without interruption and i kept it running for 100 minutes, which the UPS estimated it would, then it shut off. I then plugged the Starlink system into a 286 Wh "power station" that was almost fully charged (I had used it for charging my phone once), so it should last 5-6 hours - we'll see. Per the power station, the system is using between 35-45 watts - but that is AC power so that might be using more battery power than what it says.

I've got a nice fire going in the woodstove, and temp is the low to mid 60s which I find comfortable.

I already had my dinner, so I am fine there.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top