JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Amount of stashed cash will depend on where you are already at financially.. I use 10 to 20 percent of cash on hand vs standard banking. I would never assume this to work long term- but rather a stop gap. To me, long term means the dollar has gone under and I'm looking at "other" forms of currency.

What did I do to prep today? I bought another 1,000 rounds of .40 S&W from Freedom Munitions this afternoon.

I'll shoot up some of my existing stash tomorrow before the sun goes down, after I stand my last RSO duty day for the season.
Since I can't run around very well to do the USPSA shhit, I'll just draw from holster at the beep and shoot a string of a half-dozen poppers...

This was last Sunday's course of fire... a half-dozen 8" poppers on 3-foot centers at 10 yards, drawing from concealment (meaning you have to "sweep the coat" first in order to clear the holster).

Half-dozen poppers.JPG

Had a coupla malfunctions, sprayed 'er down with Hoppes #9, and then decided to put on my reading glasses so's I could see the damn front sight. :rolleyes:

Half-dozen poppers_scoring.jpg

First time I've been to the range since last October. Been farrrrrrrr too long away.
Was pretty proud of Strings 1 and 7. Strings 5, 6, 8, and 9, not so much... :oops:
Marksmanship at speed is a very perishable skill...

Last Edited:
1645927990553.jpeg
1645927927297.jpeg

I took the old R.F.I. SMLE (in 7.62 NATO) out to practice a bit. Yeah....still at 25 yrds. Though I did get a few rounds in at 50 yrds.

BTW (to the Enemy)....
It's still better if you keep your head down. I might just get lucky.

Aloha, Mark

PS......meanwhile.....my son drove out somewhere with his friend and took his newly acquired AK47 out for it's baptism of fire. Funny because he asked me last night for more .223 Rem ammo. Of course I gave him the steel Russian stuff.

Last Edited:
I got the Triple-Pack of Readers from Costco. Problem is they always seem to migrate to the same room. The one that I'm not in.
Used to buy those, but I have not shopped at Costco since I gave up my membership 3 or 4 years ago. Costco supports too much Leftism...

Stocked the pantry, fridge, freezer and sundries. Doubled on some, triple others. Shopping out AK food and kicking myself in the azz for not stocking deeper, sooner.
I just got back into AKs.
Excuses, Excuses.

Amount of stashed cash will depend on where you are already at financially.. I use 10 to 20 percent of cash on hand vs standard banking. I would never assume this to work long term- but rather a stop gap. To me, long term means the dollar has gone under and I'm looking at "other" forms of currency.
I think tomorrow I may make an unscheduled trip into town to get more cash, maybe get more shelf-stable food too.

Getting my 120-galloner filled this coming Tuesday... :s0155:

@Angie, @The Heretic, @ATCclears: Question for all y'all that are makin' a run on the bank...
I am understandably curious... How much, generally, are you taking out to stash at home? Is this in the several hundred$ of dollar$ range? A thou$and dollar$? Several thou$and$ of dollar$? I have a coupla grand in the safe here at home, and was wondering if I am not "protected enough" with that amount of cash on hand and was wondering what the consensus amount is for having "enough" cash on hand for the impending doom. I plan on heading to the credit union tomorrow, and may want to stock up...
We usually keep a few thousand in the safe. That's about all I'm willing to say in a public forum ;) I realized that in any serious grid-down situation, it won't take long until cash is worthless. So it's just a stop-gap. But it's also nice to be able to pay cash if we find some great deal on the weekend. We bank at a small bank, so there aren't a lot of branches to access. Plus, we are in a motorhome most of the year, so we need to do everything we can to try to ensure our ability to get home.

We usually keep a few thousand in the safe. That's about all I'm willing to say in a public forum ;) I realized that in any serious grid-down situation, it won't take long until cash is worthless. So it's just a stop-gap. But it's also nice to be able to pay cash if we find some great deal on the weekend. We bank at a small bank, so there aren't a lot of branches to access. Plus, we are in a motorhome most of the year, so we need to do everything we can to try to ensure our ability to get home.
All good, but if it is just "grid down" and not TEOTWAWKI, cash will probably be good as long as the gov is up and running. E.G., Cascadian Subduction Zone earthquake could result in a grid down situation for much of the west coast for months.

All good, but if it is just "grid down" and not TEOTWAWKI, cash will probably be good as long as the gov is up and running. E.G., Cascadian Subduction Zone earthquake could result in a grid down situation for much of the west coast for months.
Very true. I guess it's a good thing to be pretty mobile in that situation then. We always fill up the coach before we park it. We are good for 1200 miles on a full tank. Plus, we have an additional 10 gallons of fuel in the back of the truck. You'll never be prepared for every possible scenario. We just have to do the best we can.

Very true. I guess it's a good thing to be pretty mobile in that situation then. We always fill up the coach before we park it. We are good for 1200 miles on a full tank. Plus, we have an additional 10 gallons of fuel in the back of the truck. You'll never be prepared for every possible scenario. We just have to do the best we can.
Love the hat... :s0155::s0155:

Just had to mention that... :)

I went the range today. I installed a Law Tactical folding buttstock adapter some time ago but my AR was sitting in my safe in a gun sock. My AR cycled just fine and put 75 rounds through it.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews