JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think I ever posted this idea to the forum. When the grid is down and you need to bathe, a garden sprayer will be the best $10 you ever spent. If you have the capability to heat the water all you have to do is pump it up and hose yourself off. Even letting it sit in the sun will provide a little comfort when you need it most.
Not to bash on your idea at all. I get the concept and it's a good one. But I feel like the spray would just be a misting. Hardly worth it IMO.

When I spent time over seas and didn't have running water we had bucked showers. Stand in a shower stall or outside and use a small bucket (maybe a half gallon size) and pore over yourself. Rinse,soap,splash,rinse all done.

I don't think I ever posted this idea to the forum. When the grid is down and you need to bathe, a garden sprayer will be the best $10 you ever spent. If you have the capability to heat the water all you have to do is pump it up and hose yourself off. Even letting it sit in the sun will provide a little comfort when you need it most.

I saw a video years ago where a family who was living off-grid had a setup similar to what you're describing. It worked great.

Last Edited:
But not just any lint. Only pure cotton lint. So, the lint from towels, denim jeans, cotton T-shirts, bed sheets, etc.
Mix it with some vaseline for easier lighting and keep it in an old 35mm film canister (if you can find them anymore).
Keep a couple canisters in each of your BOB, GHB, and FA kits.
Prescription pill bottle works instead of the 35mm.

Not to bash on your idea at all. I get the concept and it's a good one. But I feel like the spray would just be a misting. Hardly worth it IMO.
I had a sprayer like that and it sucked.

I have a camping shower around here somewhere - a black bag (to capture solar heat) and a hose and a shower head. That works better IMO. That said, a well and a genset works better yet.

With increasing threats of cyber-attacks, we may see DNS outages. You can prepare and reduce the effects of DNS attacks by adding static IP addresses of your most visited websites to your PC's hosts file, so if DNS servers go down you can still navigate to those websites.

Bought 500 grams of Potassium Iodide crystal powder and small mylar bags to seal it up into convenient 100 dose packages, ready to add to a bottle of water. Also hit the Costco website the other day, at a moment when they had the Chef's Banquet 240 serving Mac & Cheese buckets in stock for $120. Bought that and a 6 pack of #10 cans of Chef's Banquet Powdered Milk. I've got a tracking numbers but UPS still says they haven't picked up yet after 5 days. Hope I get the Costco stuff.

If anyone is interested in buying Potassium Iodide I bought here for $50 shipped:

They also have 100 grams for $28 shipped. The same outfit also sells 100 dose packs on ebay but it's pretty expensive compared to just buying the crystals bulk:

Here's the dosage and mixing info:

WHO Recommended dose for radiological emergencies:

Adults (over 12 years old) to use 130 mg per day.
Children (3-11 years old) to use 65 mg per day.

1 gram = 1000 mg

500 grams = 500,000 mg / 130 mg = 3846 daily doses against radiation poisoning.

13 grams + 16 oz water per 100 130 mg doses (1 tsp of mixed solution)

13 grams = 200.62 grains (for the reloaders with powder scales)

Mix 13 grams powder into a 16 oz bottle of drinking water and agitate until all crystals have dissolved.

Dosages based on CDC guidelines:

Adult 12 and older = 170 mg 5 ml of formula approximately 1 tsp daily

Children 11 - 3 and = 65 mg 2 ml of formula approximately 1/3 tsp daily

Last Edited:
*Yesterday, but was too tired to post until today* Bought ammo, packed mags, updated the food in our GHB and secret stash, got more gas cans and preserver, and started looking into getting our crawl space "wrapped" so we can utilize it as dry storage.

started looking into getting our crawl space "wrapped" so we can utilize it as dry storage.
That's a good idea! We're in a slab so wouldn't work for us but that's a good idea for a lot of people in the suburban areas!

As for us! We just had a calf this morning. Our first one on the farm here! Gonna have lots of beef on the hoof this coming year. Which will be good with the way things are going with meat/food:rolleyes:

46C8E3FC-0BDF-4D02-95B1-CA077F505C83.jpeg

Made and am drinking a smoothie with mixed "tropical" fruit (Del Monte) from a can that had a 2011 expiration date. I noticed that the inside of the lid seemed to have a portion that was discolored - I don't think that is unusual as a good portion of the fruit was pineapple which is acidic. The lining of the can and lid looked like some kind of galvanizing. I have seen this in various food cans from time to time.

• 130 Push ups
  • Read my Bible
  • Burned in my new Kni-Co portable wood stove intended for emergency heat either in my family room, or in a hot tent setup
  • Tested my new water purifier
  • Purchased a spare/expansion 12V, 100Ah LiFePo4 battery for my solar battery generator (post 1088 here)
  • Rotated my three 5-gallon gas cans
  • Practiced drawing from my new holster
  • Practiced drawing from my new holster with gloves on
  • Practiced pistol reloads with gloves on

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR