JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Set up and tested a solar powered 20gpm submersible pump that will provide irrigation to an area on a neighbors property that is too high for my gravity water systems to reach.
20190323_152414.jpg

Last Edited:
Spring is here ...so I am going through my collection and checking to see if there are any repairs needed and such...
Yesterday , I re-oiled the stocks on my Winchester model 37 and starting planning out how to do a ramrod repair on a antique fowler.
Andy

Set up and tested a solar powered 20gpm submersible pump that will provide irrigation to an area on a neighbors property that is too high for my gravity water systems to reach.
View attachment 561696

Just in case anyone was interested: the whole setup came from Tuhorse and was super simple to set up. The panels put out 134 volts in full sun and the controller is easy to connect and well sealed. Pump was maintaining 18 gpm up an 80 foot nearly vertical rise.

Picked up a few more of these waterproof containers (I think their intended use is to carry matches). They're about $1.50 each at BiMart.

Each one holds 6 Coin Tissues. I'll toss them into the get-home bag in the trunk of the car.

28306E9A-10FC-463C-8FF1-15EAF18735AC.jpeg

Last Edited:
Over time I sold some guns and other stuff to aid in the process of retiring my short tem debt and finally got it paid off this week.
So I replaced some food, firearms, ammo and some preps that needed replenishing and added some other goodies because I finally could.

Opsec and all that, but I did buy an M1A Scout and a 3" Taurus 692 Tracker in .38/.357mag & 9mm. The 692 comes with a 9mm cylinder and I really like the idea of a three caliber handgun. Just one screw to change cylinders.

Over the past week or so I have been learning about post first aid wound care - specifically burn wounds .

But this applies to not just burn wounds - any wound .

For one thing , generally things are better left moist and covered .

I am also learning how to wrap and bandage wounds one handed .

Also reminded myself really need to organize . put my first aid supplies in one place . ordered and received sterile non sticking wound pads and bandage wraps. need to order elastic bandage wraps.

Ordered some more wound care products.

Using this incident as a chance to try them out and see what works and what doesn't.

I've been using non-stick pads with SSD ointment a little bit of adhesive tape and gauze wrapping. This wraps too tight and has been increasingly annoying by the end of the day.

The "paper tape" from the clinic was pretty lame - doesn't stick to skin, but hardly sticks to anything at all, and isn't flexible, so constricts my arm making it sore over time.

So tonight I tried a number of different med tape products I have.

I also tried 3M paper tape - more sticky (just about right actually) but it is even less flexible and again, would constrict my arm. Tried 3M transpore tape that I already had - very sticky, but not as sticky as some other tape I had - but still, could damage skin if you just rip it off and you have to be careful with it - not flexible or comfortable, but would work as an 'anchor' when working with gauze.

The best compromise has been the elastic cohesive tape. More expensive but more comfortable/breathable because it doesn't stick to my skin and is elastic. Not totally comfortable, but the best compromise. It is also somewhat reusable if you are careful.

So I ordered a bunch of that (you can get it in a lot of different colors including camo), some hydrocolloid dressings to see if those work as well as claimed (supposed to be able to leave them on 4-7 days, waterproof, promotes healing, etc.) and some tagederm dressings - probably try those too.

Later I will probably get some surgical sponges, larger wood dressings of various types and so on, for emergencies. One of my neighbors is an eye surgeon, so in a SHTF situation, it may be handy to have some supplies for longer term medical care than first aid.

Using this incident as a chance to try them out and see what works and what doesn't.

I've been using non-stick pads with SSD ointment a little bit of adhesive tape and gauze wrapping. This wraps too tight and has been increasingly annoying by the end of the day.

The "paper tape" from the clinic was pretty lame - doesn't stick to skin, but hardly sticks to anything at all, and isn't flexible, so constricts my arm making it sore over time.

I also tried 3M paper tape - more sticky (just about right actually) but it is even less flexible and again, would constrict my arm. Tried 3M transpore tape that I already had - very sticky, but not as sticky as some other tape I had - but still, could damage skin if you just rip it off and you have to be careful with it - not flexible or comfortable, but would work as an 'anchor' when working with gauze.

The best compromise has been the elastic cohesive tape. More expensive but more comfortable/breathable because it doesn't stick to my skin and is elastic. Not totally comfortable, but the best compromise. It is also somewhat reusable if you are careful.

So I ordered a bunch of that (you can get it in a lot of different colors including camo), some hydrocolloid dressings to see if those work as well as claimed (supposed to be able to leave them on 4-7 days, waterproof, promotes healing, etc.) and some tagederm dressings - probably try those too.

Later I will probably get some surgical sponges, larger wood dressings of various types and so on, for emergencies. One of my neighbors is an eye surgeon, so in a SHTF situation, it may be handy to have some supplies for longer term medical care than first aid.

Using an ace bandage to hold gauze in place will solve the discomfort issues you're describing.

May I offer a "secrete" ingredient? Benzoin Tincture swabs.
https://www.amazon.com/Compound-Ben...benzoin+swabs&qid=1557298797&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Got these when I got a bunch of 3M strips and butterfly bandages. Really helps any bandages stick, like the paper tape.
Has several side benefits as well. You can hot shot blisters, toughen skin, treat cold sores, treat coughs, fix cracked lips or skin in general.
Great supplement item for wound care.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads