JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Noticed some rifle magazines that were all dusty. Cleaned them up with Ballistol - took them apart and sprayed it with Ballistol. Now I need to figure out what to wrap them in so they don't get all dusty again, or worse (rusty).
MVIMG_20190706_174053.jpg MVIMG_20190706_174056.jpg

Noticed some rifle magazines that were all dusty. Cleaned them up with Ballistol - took them apart and sprayed it with Ballistol. Now I need to figure out what to wrap them in so they don't get all dusty again, or worse (rusty).

Yah, what EPS suggested, or just in an ammo can.

The Ballistol "should" keep them all right, if out of direct humidity. Can should do it, mayhaps with a few silicone moisture absorber packets in the can (or in a perforated ziplock).

Took the wife and kids to the archery range. Eventually, if/when SHTF, they will be skilled enough to put an arrow through your head if you try to take their can of beans. I know the name of this site is NWFirearms, but I'm using archery as a gateway drug. The wife didn't grow up around firearms the way I did.

Yes, I was thinking of putting them in a plastic bag and then remembered I have a Food Saver. I was worried about the Ballistol disintegrating the plastic wrap but then I think that Ballistol is not petroleum based so it should be fine.

Humidity was 94% this morning outside so just putting them in a can probably isn't a good idea - even with a silica pack.

Pretty scary stuff. Cascadia quake will probably be over 8.5 and likely in the 9's. Portland and everything else west of the Cascades, would likely shift 25 feet to the west. Willamette and Columbia rivers will be ablaze from fuel depots in Portland blowing. I-5 bridge will be in the river and 205 bridge most likely will survive but need serious repairs. PDX is on soil that will liquefy but they are working on the problem. Vancouver will be getting its help from the north as the bridges will be unusable so...
Have 3 weeks of food, water and meds.
Keep cash on hand
Make your neighbors aware of the threat
And be ready to help the ones who didn't prepare. ( Or had their homes crash down on their stuff)

Wood frame homes will hold up well but they need to be strapped to foundations. Hot water heater needs to be secure as well Not fun having a ripped open gas line in your garage PLUS... depending on your model it holds 30-50 gallons of potable water.
Spread the word folks!

Pretty scary stuff. Cascadia quake will probably be over 8.5 and likely in the 9's. Portland and everything else west of the Cascades, would likely shift 25 feet to the west. Willamette and Columbia rivers will be ablaze from fuel depots in Portland blowing. I-5 bridge will be in the river and 205 bridge most likely will survive but need serious repairs. PDX is on soil that will liquefy but they are working on the problem. Vancouver will be getting its help from the north as the bridges will be unusable so...
Keep cash on hand
And be ready to help the ones who didn't prepare. ( Or had their homes crash down on their stuff)

Wood frame homes will hold up well but they need to be strapped to foundations. Hot water heater needs to be secure as well Not fun having a ripped open gas line in your garage PLUS... depending on your model it holds 30-50 gallons of potable water.
Spread the word folks!

Thanks for the report.

My wife and I have been talking about having our little farmhouse's foundation seismically retrofitted. Of course, if we shift 25 feet to the west, there's no guarantee that the well will still have water.

Here's an outfit in Portland that provides the retrofitting service:

NW SEISMIC

1. Ordered a case of spray-on Barricade wildfire gel. I bought enough to cover the whole house.
  2. Ordered the applicator for said.
  3. Read some prep books.
  4. Did some price checks on a Kimber Bel-Air. (Not sold on it, but it is just so delightfully wacky.*)
  5. Reached out to some contacts concerning the 9,000+ acre wildfire to see how they are doing.
  6. Work on the emergency cash stashes.

I_0051647_H.jpg

1. Ordered a case of spray-on Barricade wildfire gel. I bought enough to cover the whole house.
  2. Ordered the applicator for said.
  3. Read some prep books.
  4. Did some price checks on a Kimber Bel-Air. (Not sold on it, but it is just so delightfully wacky.*)
  5. Reached out to some contacts concerning the 9,000+ acre wildfire to see how they are doing.
  6. Work on the emergency cash stashes.

View attachment 603890

Nice!

If you all have a small pressure washer, mayhaps consider dishsoap (Dawn) as a seconadary/backup. I'm thinking of a smaller one here, so a) it wouldn't kill your water pressure, allowing you to still use the primary. And b) your better half could use it while your using the primary...time/distance/safety obviously taken into account.

I bought us some of those small liquid fertilizer mixer sprayers that attach to standard house hose ends last season, to try dish soap in. They work just barely, allowing coverage for eaves & gutters, about it before having to get up a ladder. I'm thinking a small pressure washer unit would allow for further and quicker coverage.

My thought behind dishsoap is simply to allow longer "wet out" time/breaking of surface tension of water. Similar to what the commercial sticks do, but just not as well.

Regardless, here's hoping none of us have to put any of this to test!

Keep cash on hand

Spread the word folks!

My home is strapped to foundation and my water heater has earthquake straps as well. I also have earthquake natural gas shut off valve that trips when it detects a 5.2 magnitude earthquake or greater and cuts the flow of NG to my home.

Not sure it will help or not is we have 9.0 earthquake that lasts for minutes. I am the only house in my cul de sac that has an automatic shutoff valve.

My home is strapped to foundation and my water heater has earthquake straps as well. I also have earthquake natural gas shut off valve that trips when it detects a 5.2 magnitude earthquake or greater and cuts the flow of NG to my home.

Not sure it will help or not is we have 9.0 earthquake that lasts for minutes. I am the only house in my cul de sac that has an automatic shutoff valve.
And there's the big problem with prepping: Nobody else does it. Here you are, making your house as safe as possible and could be for naught if your neighbors houses on all sides of you start burning because they didn't prep.
At least earthquake insurance is a heckuva lot cheaper up here than it was in the PRK. About 30% of California prices.

Oh yeah, re 9.0 shaking: Single-story frame houses do well or at least better than most, structures They flex.

Bottom line though is simple--We are all in the hands of God when the big one hits.

Be sure to have Three (3) weeks of supplies if you're in Vancouver and environs and that includes water!

A lot of folks simply disregard water, and it's one of the easiest & most important to stock a bit of.

I have cases of bottled water when and when that runs out I have a few two stage lifestraws as well. Also have an MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter with a replacement ceramic filter. I also have a few MSR DromLite Bag Water Reservoir that I can fill with the water filter.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top