JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
May I offer a "secrete" ingredient? Benzoin Tincture swabs.
https://www.amazon.com/Compound-Ben...benzoin+swabs&qid=1557298797&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Got these when I got a bunch of 3M strips and butterfly bandages. Really helps any bandages stick, like the paper tape.
Has several side benefits as well. You can hot shot blisters, toughen skin, treat cold sores, treat coughs, fix cracked lips or skin in general.
Great supplement item for wound care.

Thanks. I got a prescription for Silvadene (sulfa with silver). For my wounds it seems to doing the trick. Neopsorin works too - it is basically Bacitracin (which I got at the ER) with additional stuff.

The 3M paper tape sticks almost good enough, the other tape sticks too well. I was looking for some comfort as by the end of the day the wrapping/etc. hurts enough to be annoying.

Did a quick inventory of SIG mags as I was going to order some more, so that I knew what I had enough of, and not enough of.

Ordered some 10rd mags for a couple of SIGs that I don't have 10rd mags for in that caliber. The idea being that if a mag ban drops into place, then 10rd mags will probably be a safe bet. Also, once I retire, I may travel by vehicle thru some states that have mag bans, and again, probably 10rd mags would probably be within the law.

Also ordered some other capacity mags - especially in .40 S&W.

Random thoughts. Well, I don't know how much reloading I would do in some kind of mega-meltdown. Reloading is kinda labor intensive, I'd have a lot of other things to concentrate on. But if I were to do it, I'd need to have on hand stuff that I could not longer mail order or get from a Cabela's run. Like spare decapping pins for sizing dies.

A lack of electric power during a melt-down would mean your tumbler wouldn't work. Unless hooked up to generator. How many people have enough gasoline stored to last for long? Yes, some farmers (and others) gave a big tank sunk in the ground, not many people have it. How about a solar tumbler?? Not. Sometime I use liquid case cleaners, provided there was enough water available, that would sub.

A basic resource like water, where you live would govern that some. In the desert, there is rarely enough. West of the Cascades, weather helps. How about heat? I have a good many cords of wood stacked away, I have the luxury of land to store it on. Not many city people anywhere would have that. Desert people, firewood gets scarce. Remember, you'd need it not only for heat but also perhaps for cooking.

Recently, I went to the LDS Home Preparedness center. Lots of long-term storage stuff in #10 cans. Two such items there are hard wheat red and white. Once again, I'm thinking about labor. In a meltdown, my labor is gonna be valuable. Why would I want to buy unground wheat ahead of time, only to have to grind it later? Maybe without electricity. Why not just buy the same #10 can full of flour, already ground? And for those of you who don't know anything about cooking, don't forget the baking powder. Yeast might be an issue, it usually has a relatively short shelf life. And we don't want to be baking anything fancy in a meltdown anyway, pan biscuits will do.

I've been thinking about being ready for come what may since the 1970's. When it was called "survivalism." At that time my wife thought I was slightly weird; she still feels the same way but tolerates my eccentricities. My hope is to never need any of the stuff I've put away. I'm old, have various medical issues, way too slow, way too used to comfort. I'm not a very good candidate for long term survival in the rough now.

Lots of odds and ends:

• Did a ton of shooting with the lever-guns and a carry piece up at the home range.
  • Cleaned up guns in bad need of said.
  • Replaced a bunch of canned goods that were depleted.
  • Changed bulbs on our auto-on lighting system outside.
  • Read more on a book about community preps.
  • Worked on a couple of the emergency cash stashes.
  • Reorganized the preparedness bookshelf.
It is so good to finally have some time off.

Noticed a couple slash piles smoking after a hard day of rain - rain must have drilled down and let some air into the coals. Poured some water down the hole.

While I was over there, I put a mag thru my new (to me - almost new to anybody else as it only had 100 rounds thru it before I got it) SIG 226.

The more I shoot .40 S&W the more I like it. A good compromise - better than 9x19. Too bad it isn't more popular. Good thing about the SIGs (and Glocks and a few other makes) - doesn't take much to switch out calibers; just a barrel and a recoil spring, sometimes a locking insert and a mag. So I need to stock up on some .40, and after SHTF, when the .40 runs out, switch back to 9x19 of which I have plenty (but having more won't hurt).

Now if I can just stop buying SIGs when people sell them almost NIB for half MSRP.

Recently, I went to the LDS Home Preparedness center. Lots of long-term storage stuff in #10 cans. Two such items there are hard wheat red and white. Once again, I'm thinking about labor. In a meltdown, my labor is gonna be valuable. Why would I want to buy unground wheat ahead of time, only to have to grind it later? Maybe without electricity. Why not just buy the same #10 can full of flour, already ground? And for those of you who don't know anything about cooking, don't forget the baking powder. Yeast might be an issue, it usually has a relatively short shelf life. And we don't want to be baking anything fancy in a meltdown anyway, pan biscuits will do.
I really like the LDS store. To answer your question, shelf life. Hard wheat is 20-30 years, flour is <5. Same issue with baking powder. Relatively short shelf life. Baking soda and cream of tartar indefinite until mixed.

Last Edited:
To answer your question, shelf life. Hard wheat is 20-30 years, flour is <5.

That may be an important distinction for someone with a longer life span horizon than I have. The order form at the Home Storage Center says shelf life of wheat flour is 10 years. That's probably long enough for me.

Same issue with baking powder. Relatively short shelf life. Baking powder and cream of tartar indefinite until mixed.

I think you mean, Baking SODA and cream of tartar combined. Yes, baking powder does have a relatively short shelf life but proper storage conditions are important. But like any relatively perishable "prepper" supplies, it needs to be checked and rotated out on a timely basis. In any case, all of these rising agents are relatively inexpensive.

Things that some preppers forget: Stock rotation and maintenance.

New idea. When the power goes out and you still must trim cartridge cases. Lee makes a little tool called the Zip Trim. Plasticky little thing with a string on it, they work pretty well. Me, I'll be doing lots of other catch-up work when the power goes out, but I'm just saying, the Zip Trim works without electricity. So do some other mini-lathe type trimmers but they cost more money. I've gotten used to using electricity to trim cases.

I keep quite a few dry cell batteries on hand, never know when they might be needed. Another item subject to rotation and replacement. All sizes, including an assortment of lithium discs. Seems like we have many little do-dads around that take these now. Lowest price for the button batteries, eBay, very cheap there.

I've bought a lot in the last month. Mostly stop the bleed type materials. Ultimately combined several of those with a basic first aid kit in my car to make it more trauma friendly. Sits in a bag on the back of my headrest. It's a bit more than what's in my etc bag, but I can rip it off and throw it on the bag if I need to.

Mowed acreage around the house to reduce fire danger.

.eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6ImxhdXJlbi5iaXNoIiwia2V5IjoiYTFmMDk5ZjgtNjEwNy01MGRiLTk3OTQtZTVkZDk3MjExNGU5In0.jpg

and to see who is 'visiting' me

.eyJ1c2VybmFtZSI6ImxhdXJlbi5iaXNoIiwia2V5IjoiYWM2ZTdkNDEtMGIyYi01N2VhLTk2NmMtMmFkZGE3OTMwZTlhIn0.jpg

Just ordered 500 rounds of .40 self-defense ammo (Federal HST) and a couple more SIG mags.

Going to try to cleanup around the homestead.

Random thoughts. Well, I don't know how much reloading I would do in some kind of mega-meltdown. Reloading is kinda labor intensive, I'd have a lot of other things to concentrate on. But if I were to do it, I'd need to have on hand stuff that I could not longer mail order or get from a Cabela's run. Like spare decapping pins for sizing dies.

A lack of electric power during a melt-down would mean your tumbler wouldn't work. Unless hooked up to generator. How many people have enough gasoline stored to last for long? Yes, some farmers (and others) gave a big tank sunk in the ground, not many people have it. How about a solar tumbler?? Not. Sometime I use liquid case cleaners, provided there was enough water available, that would sub.

A basic resource like water, where you live would govern that some. In the desert, there is rarely enough. West of the Cascades, weather helps. How about heat? I have a good many cords of wood stacked away, I have the luxury of land to store it on. Not many city people anywhere would have that. Desert people, firewood gets scarce. Remember, you'd need it not only for heat but also perhaps for cooking.

I've been thinking about being ready for come what may since the 1970's. When it was called "survivalism." At that time my wife thought I was slightly weird; she still feels the same way but tolerates my eccentricities. My hope is to never need any of the stuff I've put away. I'm old, have various medical issues, way too slow, way too used to comfort. I'm not a very good candidate for long term survival in the rough now.

Got me thinking on how difficult / easy it might be to set up our stationary bike to run some things...

An alternator, and some type of "easy" take off for other spinning things. Manually powering a tumbler comes to mind...

Thanks!

Pretty much every other step can be done without "power", that I can think on ATM. Including checking powder weight (beam scale).

I keep seeing posts about sardines. Besides a good source of protein, they make great fish bait.
The ones in tomato sauce are best as when mixed with flour, you can make pink balls with a strong smell for bait. Also, some mixed in a bucket of sand, makes good chum.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top